Winter pike on the fly

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Winter pike on the fly

Post by GAVIN H »

Are there any hardcore pike flymen on here that fish for pike in the depths of winter? Be interested to hear how you get on. Cheers.
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Re: Winter pike on the fly

Post by MarkBerrisford »

I used to on the canals, caught plenty on them
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Too cold on the hands for me.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Nigel Savage, he's a machine
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Alan_dalton wrote: Sat Feb 06 2021 20:37 -
Nigel Savage, he's a machine
:thumbs:
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

We catch plenty when we can get out on the river. You just have to have some watercraft to locate the pike.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Yes I do ok when the conditions are right on local canal and river with the fly. It can because flog when it's cold but tend to do short sessions which fits pretty well with the minimal gear you need. Mostly I fish with a floating line as my venues are not that deep. Occasionally I'll tackle a coupe of deeper waters with sinking line/ buoyant fly approach if canal/river is out of sorts
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

you just reminded me of a session i had on a lake in staffordshire deadbaiting , there was about 10 pike anglers fishing a bank next to a big stone boat house
all of us never had a sniff for hours
then this guy turned up with a fly rod and some huge sparkly flys and went and caught a cracking pike first cast about 18lb and then caught another about 15lb very shortly after
the looks on the pikers faces were a picture , you should have heard the comments i p****d myself laughing.......brilliant
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Feb 07 2021 23:44 -
you just reminded me of a session i had on a lake in staffordshire deadbaiting , there was about 10 pike anglers fishing a bank next to a big stone boat house
all of us never had a sniff for hours
then this guy turned up with a fly rod and some huge sparkly flys and went and caught a cracking pike first cast about 18lb and then caught another about 15lb very shortly after
the looks on the pikers faces were a picture , you should have heard the comments i p****d myself laughing.......brilliant
Brilliant :laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i have fished for pike in winter in the past on the fly rod , what a wonderful way to catch pike it really gets the heart thumping when you see the pike home in behind the fly
i used to fish a really shallow lake with plenty of pike up to doubles , had my pb fly caught on there 16lb and what a fight it was too...... great fun
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

The fly is the way to go for me. I decided that after catching more and bigger pike on the fly this season than I normally would and have done in all my previous seasons.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

funnily enough me too
i have more pike this season than most other years
but i have put this down fishing local waters due to the lock-down restriction
no big fish but lots of them well-over 70 pike to just shy of 18lb..... best day 14 pike in 3 hours
most of these came from the canal to live baits and lures
i would normally travel to far off venue in search of bigger fish , but actually catch less fish
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Pretty much exclusively pike on the fly through winter but this local fishing only is hampering things at the moment. No good stillwaters worth the effort near me so I generally fish the rivers even if they're in flood you can still find and catch pike on the fly.

One from just before lockdown 3' of floodwater on and less than 4" of visibility
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

nice fish pal good markings
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

MScustomflies wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 23:13 -
Pretty much exclusively pike on the fly through winter but this local fishing only is hampering things at the moment. No good stillwaters worth the effort near me so I generally fish the rivers even if they're in flood you can still find and catch pike on the fly.

One from just before lockdown 3' of floodwater on and less than 4" of visibility
Lovely pike
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

GAVIN H wrote: Wed Feb 10 2021 09:04 -
MScustomflies wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 23:13 -

Lovely pike
Cheers pal