There sharks and there are sharks

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

There sharks and there are sharks

Post by Graham Benyon »

God nows what size of shark, probably a great white, took a bite out of this ready made meal! There ares some big predators out there. I think the biggest great white is something like 20ft long at a guess which is as tall as a house. :eek: I do a bit of shark fishing out of Penzance in the summer for blues and I have yet to catch a 100lber. 90 being my biggest so far. My friend has had a 148 and Mr Phil Wakeford had a 178lb Porbeagle last year. All booked and ready to go again this year covid permitting of course, daytime only of course :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Graham Benyon on Mon Feb 08 2021 19:00, edited 3 times in total.
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Re: There sharks and there are sharks

Post by The great Gavino »

Graham Benyon wrote: Mon Feb 08 2021 18:49 -
God nows what size of shark, probably a great white, took a bite out of this ready made meal! There ares some big predators out there. I think the biggest great white is something like 20ft long at a guess which is as tall as a house. :eek:
Would love to know the story behind this, mate. I’m presuming it was either hit whilst being played by the angler or it’s been gnawed away at after it died. Bloody love sharks me
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

Still got the trace in it so I am guessing he was playing it
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

f**k me ,bet that hurt
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

God nows what size of shark, probably a great white, took a bite out of this ready made meal! There ares some big predators out there. I think the biggest great white is something like 20ft long at a guess which is as tall as a house. :eek: I do a bit of shark fishing out of Penzance in the summer for blues and I have yet to catch a 100lber. 90 being my biggest so far. My friend has had a 148 and Mr Phil Wakeford had a 178lb Porbeagle last year. All booked and ready to go again this year covid permitting of course, daytime only of course :smile:
:afraid:

Will
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

He needs a bigger boat . . . . . . ! :pale:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Imagine chartering his boat for a days fishing, you take the wife along, he gets to the Mark,
You guys ready for some fun....Boys get the bait in :pipe:
Three deck hands bring that up and chuck it over the side.. :eek:

"I say Captain, can we have some life jackets p p p Please" :pale:

:laughs:
Andy Carpenter
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

now that looks a classic finnerky bite..
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Have a look on Youtube at G Smith kayak angling. He,s a mad irishman who has caught witnessed porbeagle,s over 300 pounds from his kayak of the Donegal coast. He targets them as well as tope, blueshark etc. Incredible angler.
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Post by The great Gavino »

I think it’s fairly obvious that this is a classic Chinese Mitten Crab attack
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

More importantly was it the UK ?. It looks like the head of a short fin Mako .There have been 1 or 2 unconfirmed reports of possible great whites coming into our waters but plenty have been reported around the Med over many years. With Tuna making a return what else is following them back into our shores .
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

Loads of Tuna off Penzance last year. Not that easy to land on stand up gear so we only targeted one just to see how they fight. Took 4 of us in turns to land the one we hooked which went 275lb. Caught on a liver horse mackerel not far out before we went off sharking
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Definitely signal crayfish :laughs:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Graham Benyon wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 12:53 -
Loads of Tuna off Penzance last year. Not that easy to land on stand up gear so we only targeted one just to see how they fight. Took 4 of us in turns to land the one we hooked which went 275lb. Caught on a liver horse mackerel not far out before we went off sharking
What breed of tuna are they Graham? There’s been some massive tuna caught of Whitby in the past
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

Scarborough used to be where the UK tunny club was based but most of the tunny fishing was done near to me offside of skinningrove bay
Tunny just being the English version of the same fish
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Check out the fish locker on youtube, he boated a couple of "accidental" captures of bluefin a while back.
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

They're back offside of skinningrove again Bob and have been for a few years now, they're following the herring and on a night the herring push into skinningrove bay and come near the surface to feed, not all those dolphin sightings are dolphins
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Brian Carragher wrote: Sun Feb 14 2021 13:08 -
They're back offside of skinningrove again Bob and have been for a few years now, they're following the herring and on a night the herring push into skinningrove bay and come near the surface to feed, not all those dolphin sightings are dolphins
Not too far to go in your boat Bri :wink:
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

piker al wrote: Sun Feb 14 2021 09:54 -
What breed of tuna are they Graham? There’s been some massive tuna caught of Whitby in the past
Blue Fin
Squaze 123
Roach
Roach

Post by Squaze 123 »

Checkout the boat shy-torque at whitby , some pictures online, skippers called ritchard, he does shark trips and also catches blues and porbeagles to a good size, think he only allows 5on the boat when sharking.
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Graham Benyon wrote: Mon Feb 08 2021 18:57 -
Still got the trace in it so I am guessing he was playing it
He’s a commercial Australian angler it was caught on a set line
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

No.... you where already "Shark fishing" obviously Graham :grin: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Quite a few off the south coast caught whilst "shark fishing" last summer (some footage on the Tube) and we saw them smashing shoals of bait when walking the cliffs on the lizard last year when in Cornwall. A sight to see.
Love the hit!
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Looks like a Mako head, and the photo is probably making it look loads bigger than it really is. A big Mako will make short work of a smaller shark.
Mmmmmmmm yes
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Feb 14 2021 12:56 -
Check out the fish locker on youtube, he boated a couple of "accidental" captures of bluefin a while back.
John is a great angler.
Last edited by Sebas on Mon Jul 26 2021 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Mmmmmmmm yes
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Disgusting, where's his mat?