pollock session prelockdown

Post by stubbojo »

lock down hols 024.JPG
lock down hols 025.JPG
lock down hols 044.JPG
the pollock on the surface took a large mackerel intended for the bass
it took it on the surface scared the crap out of me
we reckon it was about 15lb but it came off at the side of boat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Re: pollock session prelockdown

Post by MScustomflies »

They're awesome sport on a fly rod, bet they pulled well on bass gear though?
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Fantastic looking fish. My dealings with pollock are much much smaller and from the shore on LRF gear. Regardless of their size they are just a beautiful looking species. Also have a soft spot for coalies.
Michael Bruton
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

Best fighting fish for their weight, much better sporting and fighting fish than bass and willing to take plugs and lures, great fun along the inshore rock marks where I live

Fresh out of the water they're a spectacularly coloured fish but that golden yellow soon fades in a fish boxx, best pics are as soon as they come aboard, some nice pollock pics there
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

MScustomflies wrote: Wed Feb 10 2021 06:46 -
They're awesome sport on a fly rod, bet they pulled well on bass gear though?
a few years ago i had a 10lb on the nose pollack on fly gear , think on the same session a sea trout 4lb too amazing fight thought it was a bass at first
i should have pic somewhere ...cheers for the comments guys
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

hols pics 008.jpg
fossil-fish wrote: Wed Feb 10 2021 07:50 -
Fantastic looking fish. My dealings with pollock are much much smaller and from the shore on LRF gear. Regardless of their size they are just a beautiful looking species. Also have a soft spot for coalies.
so have i pal , we used to go fishing new years eve in wales and you could bag up some sessions
some times they were up 5lb imagine 6 on mackerels feathers hectic pal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Brian Carragher wrote: Wed Feb 10 2021 09:07 -
Best fighting fish for their weight, much better sporting and fighting fish than bass and willing to take plugs and lures, great fun along the inshore rock marks where I live

Fresh out of the water they're a spectacularly coloured fish but that golden yellow soon fades in a fish boxx, best pics are as soon as they come aboard, some nice pollock pics there
Stunning when they come straight out of the kelp in clear waters.
Had a cod on the fly a few years ago from up the west Highlands that had come out of the kelp, it was almost red absolutely stunning colour
Last edited by MScustomflies on Wed Feb 10 2021 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

MScustomflies wrote: Wed Feb 10 2021 23:02 -

Had a cod on the fly a few years ago from up the west Highlands that had come out of the kelp, it was almost red absolutely stunning colour
stunning colours pal , your right about the pollack they do put a bend in the right tackle .....
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

Blimey - that's a funny colour! Great looking fish.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Luke wrote: Thu Feb 11 2021 09:45 -

Blimey - that's a funny colour! Great looking fish.
They change that colour when in among the kelp. Pollock will do the same and they can look amazing when coloured up.
Michael Bruton
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

we have had bass into double figures brian and they dont half go pal if we are over a reef the big fish go straight into it and no amount of bullying will stop these , there not schoolies these fish pal........when we are on the reefs theres less than 20ft of water beneath us ......the best depths for the big fish is about 15ft there abouts......
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Some lovely fush there!! Only had em drifting over wreks on charters but they put up a hell of a fight!!

Really looking forward to getting the boat out to sea this year
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lukemilnes wrote: Sat Feb 20 2021 21:01 -
Some lovely fush there!! Only had em drifting over wreks on charters but they put up a hell of a fight!!

dont know when pal with the welsh lockdown.... dripford keeps kicking us out of wales, only had 3 months there last year and the fishing was just getting better and better

dont think we will be back for the easter hols
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Feb 20 2021 21:11 -

dont know when pal with the welsh lockdown.... dripford keeps kicking us out of wales, only had 3 months there last year and the fishing was just getting better and better

I'll get out into Motcombe bay way but short of launching in the mersey and motoring round to wales 🤣🤣🤣 i think you're probably right!

Same with the piking aswell

www.eplures.com
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lukemilnes wrote: Sat Feb 20 2021 21:54 -

I'll get out into Motcombe bay way but short of launching in the mersey and motoring round to wales 🤣🤣🤣 i think you're probably right!

just noticed your location pal
you have some good waters , on the southport tickets , i fish one a large res on a day ticket hard water in winter though, but not this season
do you fish that one too pal.
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 10:56 -

you have some good waters , on the southport tickets , i fish one a large res on a day ticket hard water in winter though, but not this season
Yep i know where you're on about 😊 Holds some good fish there, well they both do. I actually live in southport and the coppers have been on the case with parking round there, it's not technically local so I've not had much chance this year.

I normally drive straight past it up to the lakes lol. They've got rid of the day tickets for pike this year i think!! Must've been too much aggro, can get busy there. There was a big girl that came out before Christmas aswell...

Where you from mate?

www.eplures.com
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lukemilnes wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 11:10 -
stubbojo wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 10:56 -

Yep i know where you're on about 😊 Holds some good fish there, well they both do. I actually live in southport and the coppers have been on the case with parking round there, it's not technically local so I've not had much chance this year.

I normally drive straight past it up to the lakes lol. They've got rid of the day tickets for pike this year i think!! Must've been too much aggro, can get busy there. There was a big girl that came out before Christmas aswell...

Where you from mate?
i was talking to his mate who caught it, and he shown me the pic stunning fish too , was going to try and get there , but no chance know , think i will have to buy a ticket now /warrington cheshire pal , he told me that about the day ticket thought he was having a laugh, every time i go there in winter there is nobody fishing it pal
bought another day ticket last year , and nobody had bought one after us the week before, my mate lost a good fish too hooks pulled out close in ... think i will have to bite the bullet and get a ticket how much are they now mate
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Yeah was certainly a good fish!

First years near £100 then 55 after that i think. Worth it for that, used to be good for the ribble but they're battering the free stretch opposite now

www.eplures.com
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lukemilnes wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 20:51 -
Yeah was certainly a good fish!

First years near £100 then 55 after that i think. Worth it for that, used to be good for the ribble but they're battering the free stretch opposite now
know it well....... gets hammered but still producing good fish seen a 25lb pic recently ....its all over you tube pal and names it too .....
Squaze 123
Roach
Roach

Post by Squaze 123 »

I’ve fished that big water for a while as a member and on day tickets for the last few years, it’s not what it used to be, eu’s batter it all year, they stopped selling day tickets for it now but that won’t stop sergay and Roman taking fish through the summer, have to admit the bailiffing on there is quite poor, only had my card checked once in five years and never had to produce my day tickets once, could be because I only go on during the week but still no excuse, went on from October till early December and never had a run,fishing a better water now what’s bailffed properly by a proper club.in fact I was on there one day when two eu’s came on with a spinning rod each and a plastic bag each, I was on my own but there was a match on the dam, I went to the dam and asked if there was a bailiff present and what was happening and the match man didn’t seem to care about the pike being taken until I told him I’ve seen the eu’s barbecue the bream as they catch them, that’s when I decided to give my membership up and just buy the odd day tickets.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Squaze 123 wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 22:21 -
I’ve fished that big water for a while as a member and on day tickets for the last few years, it’s not what it used to be, eu’s batter it all year, they stopped selling day tickets for it now but that won’t stop sergay and Roman taking fish through the summer, have to admit the bailiffing on there is quite poor, only had my card checked once in five years and never had to produce my day tickets once, could be because I only go on during the week but still no excuse, went on from October till early December and never had a run,fishing a better water now what’s bailffed properly by a proper club.in fact I was on there one day when two eu’s came on with a spinning rod each and a plastic bag each, I was on my own but there was a match on the dam, I went to the dam and asked if there was a bailiff present and what was happening and the match man didn’t seem to care about the pike being taken until I told him I’ve seen the eu’s barbecue the bream as they catch them, that’s when I decided to give my membership up and just buy the odd day tickets.
thats the same attitude on most waters now mate , just nobody willing to take on the hassle anymore , the only way really is to fish a commercial type water where they do look after there fishing , but there hammered too pal , its just getting harder now to find a good water thats not been pillaged , thats why i like boat fishing some places people cant get to by bank easily..... but this seasons fooked again mate :cry:
Squaze 123
Roach
Roach

Post by Squaze 123 »

I agree with you pal but I’m a member of that very large club and have to say they do a damn good job of looking after their waters including the bailiffing, the two I’m on at the moment have six regular bailiffs, like I said I only really fish weekdays but I’m on first name terms with two of the bailiffs and got both their numbers in case anything dodgy is going on, plus side is these two waters are hard to fish and hold very big fish . Hoping to connect in the next three weeks, alarms set for 6am , he who dares , tight lines pal .