Low Stretch Mono

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Low Stretch Mono

Post by fossil-fish »

I normally use braid for feeder fishing with a quiver tip but prefer mono for fishing rods on indicators. I quite liked the idea of a low stretch mono to get the best of both worlds so bought some Guru Pulse Pro in 8lb. As I was tying it to the backing on my reels, some old 6lb Daiwa Sensor, I thought I would give both a little pull to feel the difference in stretchiness. Well I'm buggered if I can find any. Have I been had or am I just stretching it wrong. Or is maybe Sensor a low stretch line. In its favour the Guru is a rather pleasing green colour and was reassuringly more expensive.
Michael Bruton
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Low Stretch Mono

Post by Mark_Houghton »

fossil-fish wrote: Tue Mar 09 2021 15:41 -
I normally use braid for feeder fishing with a quiver tip but prefer mono for fishing rods on indicators. I quite liked the idea of a low stretch mono to get the best of both worlds so bought some Guru Pulse Pro in 8lb. As I was tying it to the backing on my reels, some old 6lb Daiwa Sensor, I thought I would give both a little pull to feel the difference in stretchiness. Well I'm buggered if I can find any. Have I been had or am I just stretching it wrong. Or is maybe Sensor a low stretch line. In its favour the Guru is a rather pleasing green colour and was reassuringly more expensive.
Copolymer lines are the ones to get if youre after minimal stretch FF :thumbs:

Haven`t any lightish Sensor to hand to try stretching it, but it does have a bit of stretch, although not knicker elastic line some monos.....
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Daiwa tournament ST is the line you want ,brilliant stuff.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

I wouldn't fish with low stretch mono if I was paid to. It can snap like cotton when least expected. Horrible stuff. For feeder fishing I use maxima.
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Pinkie wrote: Wed Mar 10 2021 09:39 -
I wouldn't fish with low stretch mono if I was paid to. It can snap like cotton when least expected. Horrible stuff. For feeder fishing I use maxima.
Seriously you need to have a look at Daiwa tournament ST it isnt like the others.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Lee7499 wrote: Wed Mar 10 2021 09:59 -
Seriously you need to have a look at Daiwa tournament ST it isnt like the others.
Best mono I've ever used and my 'go to' reel line, it has no negatives. Tough, smooth, well behaved on the reel, excellent knot strength and reliability, good diameter to b/s ratio. A great allrounder. Maxima is just a bad dream in comparison.
Marcraft are for queers.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Gentlemen, thank you for your opinions. Have ordered some of the ST in 8lb. Seems much better value for money.
Michael Bruton
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I wouldn't fish with pre-stetched mono again. It never actually let me down when I tried it briefly, but I soon found it snapped rather too easily when testing knots, so I stopped using it.

'Low stretch' mono I suspect is something else - a different formulation perhaps? :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

John Milford wrote: Wed Mar 10 2021 17:26 -
I wouldn't fish with pre-stetched mono again. It never actually let me down when I tried it briefly, but I soon found it snapped rather too easily when testing knots, so I stopped using it.

'Low stretch' mono I suspect is something else - a different formulation perhaps? :shrug:
I see now I mixed the two up. I was thinking of pre-stretched line.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

If you want a genuine low stretch mono that's really strong and tough too, then try Sufix Advance. I've used it and it has very little stretch along with being tough, well behaved and very low diameter. The only problem is it's not widely available, certainly not around here, I got it from the Rapala website.
Marcraft are for queers.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

John Milford wrote: Wed Mar 10 2021 17:26 -

Modern low stretch monos owe their reduced stretch to the characteristics of the materials used. The pre-stretched lines were such due to the manufacturing process. Huge difference, the latter stuff is a liability :thumbs: