Salmon Farming Exposed Again

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Salmon Farming Exposed Again

Post by Will Smith »

I have put this onto this page for Max coverage, mods feel free to move if necessary.

Some of you may have already signed this open letter on Salmon Farming, however, if you have not please consider doing so.
I have looked into this myself in recent years and what I have found in pretty shocking, I know we have discussed it before and Andrew put up a link to a video which was very condemning, Salmon Farming causes a huge impact on wild fish stocks and also the environment.
Even though I love Salmon, we will not buy it now if it is farmed so, we just go without, no hardship really.
Will

https://action.ciwf.org.uk/page/77237/p ... arded=true
Last edited by Will Smith on Fri Mar 26 2021 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Salmon Farming Exposed Again

Post by alan behenna »

There was a Panorama expose on it a while ago.

Pretty grim stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48266480

:eek:
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Agreed Alan, if only folks would stop buying it, however, there is an insatiable appetite for it in many countries and the Scottish government of course are making loads of dosh from it.
Has to be market lead IMO if no body buys it they will stop producing, the saying "as much chance as a snowflake in hell" comes to mind.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Worse is that farmed Salmon DNA is being found in wild Atlantic Salmon.

The Scottish Goverment have no care for Scotlands Natural environment when it comes to profit eg; Trump golf course on a protected wildlife area.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Done
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

One of the many incredible abuses on the natural environment in order to feed a product that never lead itself to be farmed, the narrative behind this is pure greed, this will be outlawed at some point I'm sure , but again only once the horse has well and fully bolted...

Anyone eating a farmed salmon should rethink their standing....
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Mar 26 2021 10:52 -
One of the many incredible abuses on the natural environment in order to feed a product that never lead itself to be farmed, the narrative behind this is pure greed, this will be outlawed at some point I'm sure , but again only once the horse has well and fully bolted...

+1
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Mar 26 2021 10:52 -

Very well put Stew.

Will.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

The snag is though if salmon farming stopped then would there be a U Turn in fishing in the Atlantic AND around our coastlines.
It's no good anglers sticking to catch and release if the seas are reaped/ raped.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

That is very true John, however fish farming (as it is today) is not/cannot be the solution.

Looking at the bigger picture on all of this, maybe we are getting close to tipping point on feeding the population of our planet, when the harm done in producing food creates more problems than it solves, perhaps not the best example as Salmon is really a luxury commodity and not a basic requirement.

Will.
Last edited by Will Smith on Fri Mar 26 2021 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Will Smith wrote: Fri Mar 26 2021 19:36 -
That is very true John, however fish farming (as it is today) is not/cannot be the solution.

Looking at the bigger picture on all of this, maybe we are getting close to tipping point on feeding the population of our planet, when the harm done in producing food creates more problems than it solves, perhaps not the best example as Salmon is really luxury commodity and not a basic requirement.

Will.

Absolutely on the nail... Salmon is/was a luxury that has found itself affordable through questionable farming practices.. But the way we view fish stocks globally and how they are exploited for short term gains is without doubt a massive mistake, we are exploiting natural resources at a rate that is unsustainable against dwindling stocks and burgeoning population...
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Salmon farming is wrong on so many levels. Not least it is so inefficient in that it takes 10 tonne of fish pellet to produce 1 tonne of farmed salmon. What with the environmental pollution etc the industry should be shut down.