What line for spinning for bass?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

What line for spinning for bass?

Post by Pinkie »

What would you chaps recommend for casting medium sized lures for bass and pollack, from rocks?
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Re: What line for spinning for bass?

Post by fossil-fish »

For pollock and general spinning from local rock marks I have been using 20lb YGK Upgrade X4. Very well behaved in the wind and appears fairly tough. Being 4 strand it is a little stiffer than other braids but I have not found that to be any disadvantage.
Michael Bruton
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Used much the same, with some success. In that case PP 4-strand up to 15kgs. Rocky bottoms merit a couple of feet of mono/fluro leader (for me), accompanied by how you run whatever lure of choice. Stood for inshore shore fished reefs and estuary, no probs.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

If Im fishing a flow, rough ground or heavy surf I use PE4, a big bass is a powerful creature and they don't give up easily, think of a salmon plus 30%.
Along the beach I use Avani Sea Bass PE2.
Both the above with a 4ft 30lb flouro leader and quick clip, no swivel, KISS.

I live near the coast and spin regularly, PM me if you want more info.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Thanks chaps. I'll go for 20lb braid, but will decide on the specifics later.
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

I'm on the South Coast and have used 30lb Nanofil for years and it works for me but most of what I do is clear topwater stuff
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Smoothound wrote: Thu Apr 01 2021 19:39 -
I'm on the South Coast and have used 30lb Nanofil for years and it works for me but most of what I do is clear topwater stuff

The sport of Kings :handshake:
Early summer, on the flood, colour dropping out after a blow, just magical, you cant beat it.
Why it's referred to as Shore Gameing.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

Mike J wrote: Fri Apr 02 2021 09:11 -

Early summer, on the flood, colour dropping out after a blow, just magical, you cant beat it.

Yep I agree Mike :thumbs:

I love it. Round here low tide up works best for me when the water is gin clear, unfortunately the may rot is putting in an early appearance this year :afraid: :roll:
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Smoothound wrote: Fri Apr 02 2021 13:10 -

I love it. Round here low tide up works best for me when the water is gin clear, unfortunately the may rot is putting in an early appearance this year :afraid: :roll:

Same down here, weve had it for two weeks and the May water has already arrived, yesterday at my house it was 10C but on the shoreline it was 18C, a sure sign the winter water is already moving up channel.
Weve had Meagre and Stonebass down this way in recent years, any similar reports up your way? PM if you'd prefer.

Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Thank again chaps, ordered some 20lb PE4 as recommended.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Pinkie wrote: Sat Apr 03 2021 09:13 -
Thank again chaps, ordered some 20lb PE4 as recommended.

Have you made a typo, PE4 is 54-56lb if its a quality brand.

Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Screenshot_20210403_114232.jpg
Bought this! Must be the wrong one!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

Mike J wrote: Sat Apr 03 2021 09:07 -
Smoothound wrote: Fri Apr 02 2021 13:10 -

Same down here, weve had it for two weeks and the May water has already arrived, yesterday at my house it was 10C but on the shoreline it was 18C, a sure sign the winter water is already moving up channel.
Weve had Meagre and Stonebass down this way in recent years, any similar reports up your way? PM if you'd prefer.

Not that I've heard locally no
Phil
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Pinkie wrote: Sat Apr 03 2021 11:44 -

This is a quality PE. https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Variva ... tml#SID=10

Buy and use with confidence, it will last decades, only requiring a few feet cutting off at the end of each season.
Yes its expensive but it is of a consistantly high quality and is the genuine material.

:handshake:
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Mike J wrote: Sun Apr 04 2021 09:58 -

This is a quality PE. https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Variva ... tml#SID=10

Buy and use with confidence, it will last decades, only requiring a few feet cutting off at the end of each season.
Yes its expensive but it is of a consistantly high quality and is the genuine material.

:handshake:
Cheers.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Thu Apr 01 2021 10:28 -
If Im fishing a flow, rough ground or heavy surf I use PE4, a big bass is a powerful creature and they don't give up easily, think of a salmon plus 30%.
Along the beach I use Avani Sea Bass PE2.
Both the above with a 4ft 30lb flouro leader and quick clip, no swivel, KISS.

I live near the coast and spin regularly, PM me if you want more info.

last year i stepped up to 25lb berkly big game mono , as you say they dont half go the bigger bass
not lost many to the reefs and rocks/ kelp , you really do have to bully the bigger fish away from the snaggs or there gone

i find rocks and braid dont mix when fish over 10lb are involved........
depends on the venue and the size of fish there.....
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

watch out for copys pal ...looks to cheap to me
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

I'm probably going to give Tronix/HTO stuff a try this year at some point seeing as I work for them but as I said above I've used Berkley Nanofil for a good few years no complaints!
Phil
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Apr 11 2021 19:17 -

watch out for copys pal ...looks to cheap to me
No worries. I bought a more expensive brand that I trust.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Smoothound wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 10:10 -
I'm probably going to give Tronix/HTO stuff a try this year at some point seeing as I work for them but as I said above I've used Berkley Nanofil for a good few years no complaints!
A mate who was new to lure fishing was sold a spool of HTO braid with an outfit he bought. Truly awful stuff.
Michael Bruton
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

fossil-fish wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 15:56 -
A mate who was new to lure fishing was sold a spool of HTO braid with an outfit he bought. Truly awful stuff.
In what way awful? I don't use braid except for boat fishing and have Nanofil on my Bass gear currently?
Phil
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Smoothound wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 16:24 -
In what way awful? I don't use braid except for boat fishing and have Nanofil on my Bass gear currently?
It was quoted as about 10lb but was thicker than any 30lb I had seen. Very rough texture and loose weave. Just had a real low quality feel about it. I would not have chosen to buy it. May work OK but I think there are far better braids for not a whole lot more money. If you really need a cheap braid Daiwa J Braid really is hard to beat.
Michael Bruton
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The cost of a quality braided line is nothing over the period of use you will get from it.
Braid/Spectra/PE line does not rot or deteriorate, it lasts decades and only needs a tip section cutting back if it gets furry.
Mono rots in direct sunlight, hardens and weakens with age and needs changing every couple of years.

I have Japanese made PE lines that are almost 30years old that I would still use with complete confidence.

Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

fossil-fish wrote: Tue Apr 13 2021 08:35 -
It was quoted as about 10lb but was thicker than any 30lb I had seen. Very rough texture and loose weave. Just had a real low quality feel about it. I would not have chosen to buy it. May work OK but I think there are far better braids for not a whole lot more money. If you really need a cheap braid Daiwa J Braid really is hard to beat.
Cool. Stuff I have looked at using is pink or orange and rated 24lb and looks very similar to my Nanofil which I think is rated 30lb https://www.tronixfishing.com/product/h ... -x8-braid/
Phil
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Is Fireline Ultra any good? 30lb is only 0.2mm!
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Smoothound wrote: Tue Apr 13 2021 18:09 -
Cool. Stuff I have looked at using is pink or orange and rated 24lb and looks very similar to my Nanofil which I think is rated 30lb https://www.tronixfishing.com/product/h ... -x8-braid/
Stuff the mate had was like a red/brown colour. I love HTO stuff and have a few of their rods. Usually great value for money but this stuff was just horrible.
Michael Bruton
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

fossil-fish wrote: Wed Apr 14 2021 08:53 -
Stuff the mate had was like a red/brown colour. I love HTO stuff and have a few of their rods. Usually great value for money but this stuff was just horrible.
Cool. Nothing like that in the range now. HTO stuff is orange or pink. I'm sure I was told most of the Tronix/HTO braid originates from Japan now but I will check at work tomorrow.

I usually use a Hart rod but I'm dabbling with a baitcasting setup this year and the rod is an HTO Prototype/Sample and so far I am liking it :thumbs:

Apologies for the slight hijack!!! :red: :red:
Phil
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Smoothound wrote: Wed Apr 14 2021 18:15 -
Cool. Nothing like that in the range now. HTO stuff is orange or pink. I'm sure I was told most of the Tronix/HTO braid originates from Japan now but I will check at work tomorrow.

I usually use a Hart rod but I'm dabbling with a baitcasting setup this year and the rod is an HTO Prototype/Sample and so far I am liking it :thumbs:

A HART rod, are you referring to the original HART rods or has the name been highjacked by some far eastern low copyists?

HART = Harrison Advanced Rod Technology Liverpool England.

Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

Mike J wrote: Thu Apr 15 2021 08:36 -
Smoothound wrote: Wed Apr 14 2021 18:15 -

A HART rod, are you referring to the original HART rods or has the name been highjacked by some far eastern low copyists?

HART = Harrison Advanced Rod Technology Liverpool England.

Nope Hart not Harrisons

https://www.hart-fishing.com/en/home

I'm sure they are originated in the Far East but distributed from Spain by Evia.

It's a bloody good rod and works for me for my Bass lure fishing. I'm only not using it currently because I wanted to dabble with a baitcaster :thumbs:

I use Century and Conoflex Beachcasters and my favourite do most things boat rod is also a Conoflex. The Centurys are brand new and the Conoflexes are pretty old now but still good. I will probably buy a Tronix Competition Match from work at some point to try along side the others and my guess is there is little in it :shrug:
Phil
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I have used a great deal of EVIA gear and apart from their hooks everything has been good value for what I paid, which if you buy it in Iberia it really is.