Drying out and storing your crumb

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Drying out and storing your crumb

Post by Andrew »

Going to try do a bit of coarse fishing while the weather is good.

I used to crumb a load of uneaten food breads, pastries etc. I was using it a lot so didnt bother trying to dry it so it wouldn't go mouldy.

Hink I'll be storing it longer though so what's a good way to dry out a load of bread. Crumb first then oven or oven first then crumb, or something :shrug:
Malc Green
Chub
Chub

Re: Drying out and storing your crumb

Post by Malc Green »

I dry sliced bread in a high heat oven then use a blender to crumb. Store it in a sealed container after allowing it to cool.
Unsliced bread i cut into chunks,saves slicing it, bake then blend and store in sealed container.
You can add some rice to it to keep the moisture away as well. Keeps for quite awhile if kept in a dry place.
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker
Covid Loves a Crowd.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

As an experiment I've put a couple of loaves of Bread in a blender, vacuum packed and frozen the packs, haven't used it yet so my experiments not yet complete.

Not what you were asking but just an idea for you.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Nice tip with the rice malc thanks.

Freezer space is limited these days martin. New one is smaller. i used to keep unused damp ground bait in freezer for next session if there was room. I've got buckets with lids in the cupboard for dry stuff
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I really need to get hold of an old blender.

I currently grate any old bread (without drying) on a coarse hand grater, leaving it fairly lumpy - and simply bag it in the empty bread bag and freeze it.

My special additive is usually skin off my knuckles! :cry:

When I can grab a few hours locally, I usually take all the small bags I've accumulated (brown and white) and mix it sloppy for baiting the margins for carp. I use this, irrespective of the hook bait I intend to use, as it draws small fish whose activity then attracts the carp which soon muscle in to investigate.

(When I fish crumb in a feeder, or use it for balling in at distance it's always shop bought as that stores better and is always more consistent than anything I make myself).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

My crumb always smelt mouldy, took up to much room and I couldnt use it without wetting.*
Thats why I changed to fresh, compacting and freezing in half milk cartons lined with a poly bag.
I use cheap white sliced, an old blender and do it while its fresh, that way it compacts down really hard and a single large loaf will fill two halves.

The old 80's blenders are the ones to keep, they have high quality motors which go on forever, just file the blade sharp.

* I use an open ended feeder and block the crumb in with mud, mole hills, or whatever is available.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus