Spawning Tench

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Spawning Tench

Post by Mike F »

The Tench (and everything else it seems) in my local pits have decided to spawn this last couple of weeks. How long do they take before they get their heads down feeding again?
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Re: Spawning Tench

Post by SmellySmelt »

rapsy wrote: Tue Jun 08 2021 10:36 -
The Tench (and everything else it seems) in my local pits have decided to spawn this last couple of weeks. How long do they take before they get their heads down feeding again?
As a lot of lads will tell you, they can be tricky to catch after spawning especially with all the naturals about come the hight of summer. Get real finicky, where they don’t want big food items.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Thanks smelly smelt. I didn't word my question very well really. What I meant was, in general, how long does spawning last, and in general, how long before tench recover and start feeding normaly again.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

rapsy wrote: Wed Jun 09 2021 08:36 -
Thanks smelly smelt. I didn't word my question very well really. What I meant was, in general, how long does spawning last, and in general, how long before tench recover and start feeding normaly again.
It depends on the water, how deep they are and how long it takes them to heat up to trigger spawning. I normally won’t go back to a water when the tench have spawned as the won’t be at their top weights. I try to target shallow waters in early spring and then more deeper till start of July. I then turn my attention to other species. But I have caught female tench that looked like they spawned within 2/3 days by their bellies.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

SmellySmelt wrote: Wed Jun 09 2021 16:10 -
It depends on the water, how deep they are and how long it takes them to heat up to trigger spawning. I normally won’t go back to a water when the tench have spawned as the won’t be at their top weights. I try to target shallow waters in early spring and then more deeper till start of July. I then turn my attention to other species. But I have caught female tench that looked like they spawned within 2/3 days by their bellies.
been out today on a water that normally produces tench to red maggots , not a sniff on my heli feeder rig ,,that 2 sessions on there and not one bite
think i should stick with pike ....... :shrug: me and my mate couldn't buy a bite today and we moved swims twice ......... :scratch:
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Jun 16 2021 22:26 -
SmellySmelt wrote: Wed Jun 09 2021 16:10 -
been out today on a water that normally produces tench to red maggots , not a sniff on my heli feeder rig ,,that 2 sessions on there and not one bite
think i should stick with pike ....... :shrug: me and my mate couldn't buy a bite today and we moved swims twice ......... :scratch:
I’ve blanked on a lake for 5 nights, 2x48 and 1x24hr sessions. I blanked, but I know one bite could make up for everything. Just hang in there, keep changing your hook baits. Did you try a smelly krill stick with a few rubber casters, great combo!
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Ive yet to have a Tench too. The fish in the lakes i fish are spawning big time so im leaving it for a bit before trying again.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Ok, here's the latest situation. I THINK the tench have finished spawning but the weather is all over the place lately so who knows. Problem is the Tench are STILL not showing up. I know what one question that will be asked is: "Are there any tench in there or is it lightly stocked". To answer that, yes there are tench in there and the place is quite heavily stocked fish avaeage 5-6lbs with the best going into double figures. The venue is also very rich in natural food which makes me wonder if they may be preoccupied feeding on that. So if that's so, how do you go about weaning them onto something different? Currently I'm putting in a spread of red maggots, pellets, corns and worms depending on when I'm fishing. I'm fishing waggler to 6lbs line, size 14 hook on one rod, and medium black cap feeder helicopter style with short hooklink (4 inch) on second rod so nothing particularly heavy. Has anyone else had preoccupied tench on their venues and how did you overcome it? Thanks.