Braid surface fishing?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Braid surface fishing?

Post by Ratty46 »

has or does any one use braid as a mainline for surface fishing for carp? fishing a fairly weedy water, braid would help get them out and it floats!
Aldi
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: Braid surface fishing?

Post by Aldi »

Used braid to good effect for surface fishing in the past with a mono hooklink, carp really didn't seem to care and gave better control of the fish when hooking them near pads :thumbs:
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Aldi wrote: Tue Jun 08 2021 12:53 -
Used braid to good effect for surface fishing in the past with a mono hooklink, carp really didn't seem to care and gave better control of the fish when hooking them near pads :thumbs:
good stuff, what braid did you use, strength wise?
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Yep, 30lb Power Pro.

I much prefer to play carp on mono, but the floating nature of braid is a massive advantage. No messing about with grease to make the line float.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Jun 12 2021 08:07 -
Yep, 30lb Power Pro.

I much prefer to play carp on mono, but the floating nature of braid is a massive advantage. No messing about with grease to make the line float.
Also , braid cuts through weed better when playing carp.
Peter Newman
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Ratty46 wrote: Tue Jun 08 2021 11:21 -
has or does any one use braid as a mainline for surface fishing for carp? fishing a fairly weedy water, braid would help get them out and it floats!
Yes, extensively, but only with controllers at distance or when using MCF bolt floats, where the lack of stretch is the main reason for using it - 30lb powerpro in moss green. Much prefer mono for floater fishing and if there's weed or snags to contend with, then definitely NOT braid! It is not very abrasion resistance and I just don't get why people think it is. When i get pike on lures from weedy waters, even on 80lb braid, I find I am having to cut it back as it gets very torn up rubbing against weed, pads and reeds. So, if there are snags or heavy weed, I'd use 15lb mono (minimum) for floater fishing and offset the line diameter by using a presentation that keeps the last part of the line either off the surface or just use zigs, which is frankly the best way to floater fish in heavy weed if you can locate clear patches.

Lots of good reasons to use mono, main one for me is stretch, which when you're using light lines, is a massive plus and reduces the chances are losing a big fish. I often go down to 6lb line in open water, even if the fish run to a decent size. The thin line gets you more takes, simple as that. Generally, I use 10lb mono though, the dedicated Korda floater line is very good, although you need to use the right knots with it - the main reason why some people slate it (user error). I've had a lot of carp using it, including quite a few large fish. It's very buoyant and you only really need to coat the last few feet to prevent the hook bait from nudging it below the surface. Mate of mine uses in 12lb for stalking carp on the river, where he's having to play them through weed and pads - he's had some very big carp on it and even the 12lb is surprisingly abrasion resistant...
Piking Plonker