Carp on the fly!

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Carp on the fly!

Post by John Milford »

My first attempt was plagued with a mob of hungry juvenile ducks, so pre-baiting with biscuits was a no no.

Had to resort to doing it 'properly' - casting to rising carp, rather that bringing them to me.

Not a big fish but very welcome, especially on a nice old vintage glass fly-rod. :pipe:

20210615_211215~3.jpg

Couldn't get a very good picture of the fly, as the light was going - but it's just a ball of deer hair.

20210615_211852~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Carp on the fly!

Post by stubbojo »

its a very enjoyable way to catch carp john when there feeding on the surface .....a floating imitation dog mixer biscuit....... is my favourite go to dog bisquit fly
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

What wt rod were you using John?

I've been tempted to use my 5/6wt on occasion but a fly fisher with a lot more experience than me told me that if I hooked a decent fish an exploded rod was on the cards??
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Very nice :thumbs:
Well done John
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Bob Watson wrote: Tue Jun 15 2021 22:45 -

I've been tempted to use my 5/6wt on occasion but a fly fisher with a lot more experience than me told me that if I hooked a decent fish an exploded rod was on the cards??
It's an unmarked, custom built 9' Bob. I'd reckon a 7/8wt. It's surprisingly lively for a glass blank, with some power in the butt - a quality rod in its day I think, possibly a fibatube? :shrug:

The reel came with it, but the line does not suit my ham-fisted casting technique. It looks like a DT and I think it's too light to fully work the rod - perhaps a mis-matched 5/6wt?

I think I'll replace it with a WF 7/8.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

John Milford wrote: Tue Jun 15 2021 22:20 -
My first attempt was plagued with a mob of hungry juvenile ducks, so pre-baiting with biscuits was a no no.

Had to resort to doing it 'properly' - casting to rising carp, rather that bringing them to me.

Not a big fish but very welcome, especially on a nice old vintage glass fly-rod. :pipe:

20210615_211215~3.jpg

Couldn't get a very good picture of the fly, as the light was going - but it's just a ball of deer hair.

20210615_211852~2.jpg
give it ago on the pike come end of September with a smallish pike fly ...its addictive
TeranceT
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TeranceT »

Carp on the fly, you've got to be expecting a big lump.
I've used a 9ft 9 weight without any problems.
Had a new 9ft 9 weight delivered just today that is going to be used for Pike. I'll be testing it out on Carp one of the evenings to make sure all is well with it.

I would assume John's old glass rod was bent double.
As yourself, I'll also be interested to know what size and weight he was using.
TeranceT
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TeranceT »

The answer is already in :laughs:
Note to self - Don't go make a cup of coffee and put the washing up away mid message :roll:
TeranceT
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TeranceT »

John Milford wrote: Tue Jun 15 2021 23:05 -

It's an unmarked, custom built 9' Bob. I'd reckon a 7/8wt. It's surprisingly lively for a glass blank, with some power in the butt - a quality rod in its day I think, possibly a fibatube? :shrug:

The reel came with it, but the line does not suit my ham-fisted casting technique. It looks like a DT and I think it's too light to fully work the rod - perhaps a mis-matched 5/6wt?

I think I'll replace it with a WF 7/8.
John I can highly recommend this line.

AIRFLO SUPERFLO 40+ EXTREME (SHORT HEAD)

If you're not a casting expert this line will help with your technique. Once the head is almost out of the rod it just wants to go.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

John
Forget trying to con them with immitation bait.
Try a Grey Wulff, around the margins.

Swish swish ugh :laughs:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Wed Jun 16 2021 08:10 -
John
Forget trying to con them with immitation bait.
Try a Grey Wulff, around the margins.

Swish swish ugh :laughs:

griffiths nat also works in the biggest size too
had a few carp on fry patterns also :thumbs:
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Common Carp especially when the fry are abundant will happily take small deadbaits meant for perch. So on that note a 8 or 9wt rod with a small fry pattern would do the business on a lot of waters along the margins.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Lee7499 wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 19:53 -
Common Carp especially when the fry are abundant will happily take small deadbaits meant for perch. So on that note a 8 or 9wt rod with a small fry pattern would do the business on a lot of waters along the margins.
Males can be very predatory
Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rob1980 »

Lee7499 wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 19:53 -
I was tench fishing last week and had a carp around 15 lbs,when I looked on my mat after unhooking it there were about 6 fry that it had coughed up,I noticed a lot off fry in the margins and the carp I caught was from the margins, so I'm sure your right about fry patterns.