Burnham on Sea

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Burnham on Sea

Post by Alan_dalton »

Off for my summer hols next month with the family, anyone any idea what the beach fishing is like there and is it worth packin my sea fishing tackle in the caravan?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Burnham on Sea

Post by Mike J »

Alan_dalton wrote: Tue Jul 06 2021 08:11 -
Off for my summer hols next month with the family, anyone any idea what the beach fishing is like there and is it worth packin my sea fishing tackle in the caravan?

Should be mackies around and who knows what if you fish the tide in as it goes dark, smoothounds, bass, flatties and perhaps even a tope.
Just a carp rod and reel full of 40lb braid and some leads.
If you've time to spare I can PM you how to make a pro string of mackie feathers.

:handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 06 2021 09:01 -

Should be mackies around and who knows what if you fish the tide in as it goes dark, smoothounds, bass, flatties and perhaps even a tope.
If you've time to spare I can PM you how to make a pro string of mackie feathers.

Thanks Mike. I have all the gear(but no idea) thanks. Will just make it a bit more interesting than just sitting on the beach.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Alan_dalton wrote: Tue Jul 06 2021 09:04 -

Thanks Mike. I have all the gear(but no idea) thanks. Will just make it a bit more interesting than just sitting on the beach.
Tip; Bass move with the tide, if you or see someone else catch one make a note of the time, then check the tide tables and fish the same place at the same time (tide time that is) the next day or following days.
For a real puller use a mackie head and one side on an evening flood, not to far out, hold the rod and when you feel a tap give slack line and let it run dont worry how far it goes, 20-50yds is quite normal, thrm tighten and walk backwards until everything locks up. Just enough weight to hold bottom, running pat rig, an 8/0 single or 2/0 treble through both lips is all you need.

Loadsa bass in the Crouch :thumbs:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
bacon
Roach
Roach

Post by bacon »

Hi, I live fairly local (clevedon), I would indeed take your fishing gear. It's muddy, so take waders, or at the least wellies.
I believe people like to fish it on neaps due to how fast you will be running back up the beach. I believe you can dig your own lug there (blow lug, not black lug), but fish baits, i.e squid/bluey and mackerel will get you fish as well.

Expect a chance of Sole (worm), Bass, Smooth hound, conger, small ish thornies (generally only the little ones in summer, up to say 7 or 8lb) plus perhaps a stray doggie, again not many at this end of the channel.
You won't get mackerel here, so don't waste your time and save Mikes feathers! Tope also don't expect any, they prefer deeper water marks and won't come into Burnham on Sea, at least I've never heard of one here, not from the shore anyway. If you want Tope, you'll want a boat trip or head west on the welsh side for cliff marks.

I like my bass baits in close, under 30yards, and make them big, my best shore bass was a 7lb 5 from half a bluey thrown on the edge of some boulders around 15 yards out.

Good luck.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 06 2021 09:20 -

Tip; Bass move with the tide, if you or see someone else catch one make a note of the time, then check the tide tables and fish the same place at the same time (tide time that is) the next day or following days.
For a real puller use a mackie head and one side on an evening flood, not to far out, hold the rod and when you feel a tap give slack line and let it run dont worry how far it goes, 20-50yds is quite normal, thrm tighten and walk backwards until everything locks up. Just enough weight to hold bottom, running pat rig, an 8/0 single or 2/0 treble through both lips is all you need.

I think you’ve got it confused with Burnham on Crouch Mike !!!
Burnham on Sea is over Bristol way isn’t it ?!?
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

bacon wrote: Tue Jul 06 2021 11:44 -
Hi, I live fairly local (clevedon), I would indeed take your fishing gear. It's muddy, so take waders, or at the least wellies.
I believe people like to fish it on neaps due to how fast you will be running back up the beach. I believe you can dig your own lug there (blow lug, not black lug), but fish baits, i.e squid/bluey and mackerel will get you fish as well.

Expect a chance of Sole (worm), Bass, Smooth hound, conger, small ish thornies (generally only the little ones in summer, up to say 7 or 8lb) plus perhaps a stray doggie, again not many at this end of the channel.
You won't get mackerel here, so don't waste your time and save Mikes feathers! Tope also don't expect any, they prefer deeper water marks and won't come into Burnham on Sea, at least I've never heard of one here, not from the shore anyway. If you want Tope, you'll want a boat trip or head west on the welsh side for cliff marks.

I like my bass baits in close, under 30yards, and make them big, my best shore bass was a 7lb 5 from half a bluey thrown on the edge of some boulders around 15 yards out.

Good luck.
Thansk very much. Were staying at the haven site on the side of the estuary.
bacon
Roach
Roach

Post by bacon »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Tue Jul 06 2021 13:40 -
Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 06 2021 09:20 -

I think you’ve got it confused with Burnham on Crouch Mike !!!
Burnham on Sea is over Bristol way isn’t it ?!?
Yup!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Sorry, dooh :hammer:
Ah well not that far off, just half a small island and on another coast 😳 :laughs:

If it was me I would go for the bass and fish exactly as bacon explained.
Have a good time 😎 and let us know how it went.

spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Bacon has covered the fishing side, just be careful around the lighthouse, the mud is very soft in places.
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

This website is good for Bristol Channel mark information.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/local-fishing.html

It's also a very good mail order shop for ordering any bits you may need.

Mr Ash Shaw
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Berrow beaches looks a good place for me, might be able to slip out early morning. Looks like a lot of dodgy locations due to mud and very fast tides.
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Brean and Berrow beach is good firm sand, you can fish the last 3 hours of the flood and about half hour or so of the ebb. As the Veals site says, the tide comes in quick so travel light as you will be retreating often!

You will probably need 6oz leads minimum.

Have a search on Youtube for Ian Clark, he has plenty of videos fishing on Brean beach.

Mr Ash Shaw
bacon
Roach
Roach

Post by bacon »

Yeh Ian Clark lives in a small village outside Weston, his nearest beach I believe is Brean and he does rather well, certainly between him and his mate they get some nice sole and bass out of there.

Where do you live spincity?
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

bacon wrote: Tue Jul 06 2021 20:40 -
Yeh Ian Clark lives in a small village outside Weston, his nearest beach I believe is Brean and he does rather well, certainly between him and his mate they get some nice sole and bass out of there.

Where do you live spincity?
I'm quite a way inland, Worcestershire, but do a bit of sea fishing down the Bristol Channel for a change from my usual fishing.

Mr Ash Shaw
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

You could go ask a few questions on WSF (World Sea Fishing) forum.
They have different sections for different regions of the UK and are normally a friendly bunch!
Joe Birch
bacon
Roach
Roach

Post by bacon »

Aye, I am a wsf'er! I have gotten some useful information over the years from Wsf and many are happy to help. As with all angling websites getting mark specific information can be tricky, best to put up a post and hope to get some private messages where people may be more willing to give you some mark specific tips.

Also Talk Sea fishing is good too, a smaller community of anglers who parted with WSF when the website was upgraded/changed.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

bacon wrote: Wed Jul 07 2021 08:54 -
Aye, I am a wsf'er! I have gotten some useful information over the years from Wsf and many are happy to help. As with all angling websites getting mark specific information can be tricky, best to put up a post and hope to get some private messages where people may be more willing to give you some mark specific tips.

Also Talk Sea fishing is good too, a smaller community of anglers who parted with WSF when the website was upgraded/changed.
Yeah I didn’t like the upgrade on WSF, I never knew about the Talk Sea Fishing forum tho, I might have a look :thumbs:
Joe Birch
bryan m
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by bryan m »

I don't like the WSF upgrade either and since then hardly anyone posts in my area, South East Catch Reports, which is a shame as it used to be pretty good.
I,ll have a look at Talk Sea fishing too.....
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Fished there once off a charter boat in the late eightees. One of my party caught an 8lb bass close in. It was the only decent fish caught that day. Lots of whiting though.