Damaged pike fly line ?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
royboy
Chub
Chub

Damaged pike fly line ?

Post by royboy »

Any ideas on how to repair this damage ?

The core line has come through the plastic coating .
Its on the running line 8ft down from the shooting head ...

Rgds , Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Re: Damaged pike fly line ?

Post by Pinkie »

That's worrying! What make of line may I ask? How did it happen??

As for mending, you could always try supergueing it back together if the internal braid isn't damaged. But I'd be tempted to cut out the bad piece and use a couple of braided loops to reattach the ends, if the superglue didn't work.
lakefisher
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by lakefisher »

Simple matter to repair, using heat shrink tubing and a source of heat (hot air gun, gas lighter or even a candle, carefully applied) Done it many times myself to produce my own extra fast shooting heads for pike fly fishing.

Plenty of Youtube "how to" videos available - just google " heat welding a fly line"

HTH ...... Tony
TeranceT
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TeranceT »

If this fly line was purchased from one of the top brands directly or a reputable retailer I'm sure they'd want to see that defective product.
May even send you a new one for postage cost alone.

Unless it's something you've had since the millennium :laughs: if that's the case I'd be replacing it.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Thanks for the feedback .
Its an Airflo 40+ ,
its possible I damaged it myself , being a fly fishing novice !

I used some heat shrink with a heat gun to cover the damage .
Had to use black shrink as I had no clear tubing , doesn`t look the best but it will do the job .

Rgds , Pat
lakefisher
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by lakefisher »

If your Airflo 40+ is a reasonably recent purchase - I would contact Airflo and ask if they are prepared to replace it, as to me at least, its a possible manufacturing fault. Although as you've attempted to repair it yourself - it may be a little late to complain, unless they are prepared to accept the evidence of your photographs.

Regarding my previous comments regarding the use of "heat shrink tubing" to repair your line - The heat shrink is used to "mould" the PVC coating of the line, as it is plasticised by the heat - the heat shrink is then removed - not left on the line as it will make a thicker section where it is not needed. Normally, I use clear heat shrink so that I can see what is happening to the coating as it softens - I cover the area to be worked on and add about an inch at both ends - to remain untouched - then use electricians side cutters to remove the tubing, when the coating has re-covered the core, and everything has cooled down.

HTH ..... Tony
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

From the pic it looks like a defect in the fly line (unless you have peeled the fly line coating somehow), which if you have receipt of purchase the vendor should replace free of charge.

I have a number of Airflo lines and they are quite robust and some i have had 4 years which show no wear, however, the transition from head to running line is always the point of a fly line which wears first and can crack the fly line especially if you double haul and if on line shoot the line gets caught in the butt ring. Usually the line will split in the coating of the fly line around its diameter, but the pics show a longitudinal split which is something different.
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

If you have done a repair you have likely invalidated the warranty in any case. You are stuck with it.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Out of warranty I`m afraid , won it as a spot prize in a club raffle maybe 6 yrs ago .

Its been sitting in a drawer until last year ...
I`ve tested it on the lawn , and it looks ok , not snagging in the rings , etc .

When I get to use it properly will tell the tale !