Variety in a fish species colouration from same water

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Variety in a fish species colouration from same water

Post by Muskie »

I find it incredible that despite inhabiting the same water that colouration of a species can vary so much.

As an example caught two zander last week around 8 to 9lbs mark and one was your usual colouration for the species a mottled brown with lighter underbelly but the other was a split between dark brown and green.

Similarly brown trout from same water can either have a colouration that is silver, brown or golden whatever time of year.

At a clear sandpit i have previously caught catfish that were jet black, brown, yellow and an albino.

Yet you would think that each species would be of same colouration in that venue.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Variety in a fish species colouration from same water

Post by Mike J »

I have a pic of a good pike that is almost entirely silver in colour, from a place where most of the others were normal colouration.

It can also happen to tail sizes, I photographed two Blue Marlin where one had a tail almost a foot wider than the other. The fish were caught by the same boat within hours of each other and brought to shore to win a tournament (then dumped at sea the same night).

Last edited by Mike J on Tue Jul 27 2021 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Even the colour of the same fish can vary from day to day depending on the clarity of the water or it's stress levels, and how deep its been swimming, so it's not surprising really that different fish of the same species can vary in colour on the same day!
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

It is weird, here's two from the same area of canal in Cold February weather. Same method, bait, depth and fishing to similar structure...

20200111_132321.jpg
20210525_012340.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mmmmmmmm yes