Carp, Fly v Bait

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Carp, Fly v Bait

Post by nigel savage »

Not tried it yet, I know a couple of people using the fly to great effect, they have been absolutely hammering fish, going on the hunt for them, taking them excitingly off the top.

They have they been sharing the banks with the "Bivvie" anglers, I asked them while you were catching how the bait boys got on? They said that they never saw one fish caught on bait that day whilst they had 17 cracking fish including Twenties, they have had them up to 30lb so far.

Another angler mentioned that he went to a fishery and started catching straight away, the first time when asked, the bailiff said "Well done", the next time, same result, while the bait anglers struggled, he was again congratulated by the bailiff again, however the third time of going there, on turning up he was promptly told, "Your banned"!! it was so effective it was banned, amazing, I wonder why??

Regarding fly fishing, it's not the be and end all of fishing, but it can be very, very effective, regards people's suggestions that it can be a lot of hard work, absolute total nonsense, castings all about timing, like in all sports, once remembered, never forgotten.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Carp, Fly v Bait

Post by davelumb »

Didn't you know that catching carp off the surface is as frowned upon as using maggots on dry fly only water? It's just not cricket, sir! :joker:
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

davelumb wrote: Fri Jul 30 2021 13:07 -
Didn't you know that catching carp off the surface is as frowned upon as using maggots on dry fly only water? It's just not cricket, sir! :joker:
Hope you are well Dave,
Not cricket, Really!! :eek: Can't blame the lads for enjoying themselves though, just think, being active, on the hunt and making it happen, with just one rod, net, mat, etc, a few freebies to get them going, jobs a good un.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

nigel savage wrote: Fri Jul 30 2021 13:50 -
Hope you are well Dave,
Not cricket, Really!! :eek: Can't blame the lads for enjoying themselves though, just think, being active, on the hunt and making it happen, with just one rod, net, mat, etc, a few freebies to get them going, jobs a good un.
I'm not so bad, thanks. Hope you're OK too.

It was a bit of a joke, but I have heard some say that carp off the top don't count! A few waters ban floater fishing for reason's I've never fathomed.

I usually use a bit of foam as bait for floater fishing. Is that lure fishing? :laughs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

A local syndicate has a dim view on surface fishing.
I've regularly taken a dozen carp to mid twenties off the top before they've even opened the bivvie door in the morning, I have done it with a fly rod too, but the venue doesn't really suit fly fishing, at least not with my casting ability 😂

The bait boys all turn up and chuck baits to the horizon, totally ignoring the cleaned up patches of gravel ten yards from the edge where the carp have clearly been feeding!
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Banned for catching poxy f****n carp. The f**k! 🧐
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Banned from a fishing lake for catching fish??
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

id like to try fly fishing for them, i love surface fishing!
alot of waters dont like it because you have to fish fairly light at times, which can be issue with landing fish- not everyone uses their brain.
also can encroach on others swims if wind gets up, nothing like a group of carp taking of the top drifting over your useless bottom baits
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

nigel savage wrote: Fri Jul 30 2021 13:50 -
Hope you are well Dave,
exactly why i like it! nice and mobile and not carrying so much s**t you need barrow..no i dont own one!

soon as it gets bit warmer again i'll be out and at em
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

spincityfan wrote: Fri Jul 30 2021 18:46 -
The angler involved didn't say why, bivvy boys not liking it? not sure :shrug:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

nigel savage wrote: Sat Jul 31 2021 14:15 -
spincityfan wrote: Fri Jul 30 2021 18:46 -
The angler involved didn't say why, bivvy boys not liking it? not sure :shrug:
The usual complaint is the floating freebies don't stay in one swim and bring the carp up off the deck where the bivvy boys want to catch them.
It doesn't seem to register with them that when it's spot on for floater fishing, they're not on the deck anyway!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

plus some fisheries dont like you doing it because some dopes just walk behind you on the back cast , and end up with a floating dog busquit hanging out of there eye balls
thick t***s........ years back i fished a water and hammered the carp off the top on a fly rod ended up with a audience behind me on the bank , from the carp lake next door
the carp lads had not had a bite all day long , i could see large carp on the surface and got them feeding after about a hour on mixers .... on a 4 weight fly rod..
i was told not to fish with a fly rod again on that lake by the owners , it was upsetting the carp lads on the lake next door ,i kid you not
and there was only me fishing this lake on the day , apparently one of the carpers had phoned the owner and reported me using a fly rod and enjoying myself to much ......
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

Don’t you just love the carp scene, leave them to it I say!
Just an excuse for a p**s up or to smoke pot all day for some of them! Boring fishing for boring people😀
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Pikerd74 wrote: Mon Aug 30 2021 08:36 -
Just an excuse for a p**s up or to smoke pot all day for some of them! Boring fishing for boring people😀

A carp angler died whilst fishing a lake near Romsey recently.
It seems he was under the influence, became aggressive, then waded into the water and drowned.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-58329246

Another Hampshire carp water was lost to all angling because the driveway past the owners house was being used at night by dealers.

I hope this type of activity is publicised and condemned in the carp magazines.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

That doesn’t surprise me, I heard of two drunken carp arguing in the middle of the night about who’s rod had a run. They were so drunk they couldn’t tell, the unfortunate fish had done a lap of the lake!
Not my thing, I find fishing near t@“ts very stressful.
The pot dealing is quite common some people use it to fund their camping, sorry I meant to say carping 😂
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 30 2021 10:25 -

It seems he was under the influence, became aggressive, then waded into the water and drowned.

Another Hampshire carp water was lost to all angling because the driveway past the owners house was being used at night by dealers.

we have a beautiful lake on a club ticket unfortunately its full of carp , with it being in a rural area there are some very big houses right on its doorstep
the carp lads have took over it , bivvys, music playing , dealers , boy racers, the lot up and down not to mention the litter...i had a walk around the water yesterday and 2 carpers were kicking off about something you could here them screaming at each other across the lake ......who wants that.....
police are regular visitors to the lake at weekends , its a stunning fishery full of specimens roach,perch,tench ...its just a matter of time we lose this water ...because of some selfish individuals ......most people wont fish it because of the looneys on there ..........sorry to say its all carpers again ...... its a fact
not saying all carpers are like this its the minority which will see us lose this water....
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Its simple. Just revoke their tickets and give them lifetime ban. They are not anglers.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 30 2021 10:25 -

you wont see it condemned in a carp magazine mike unfortunatly
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Muskie wrote: Mon Aug 30 2021 11:44 -
Its simple. Just revoke their tickets and give them lifetime ban. They are not anglers.
the problem is, is the bailiffs , they dont seem to have any back bone infact they look a bit intimidated by gangs of younger anglers and there getting younger by the years
or is it me getting older ....
think most bailiffs are volunteers and they just dont want the hassle
i see these bailiff on this water most days , when there not walking around which is not very often there sat in there bivvys ....smoking weed
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I've done well for carp using a fly rod - highly recommend! Also been banned for catching too many off the top or by float fishing- see.s if it ain't got 4oz of lead it isn't fishing. Some of the behaviours I see carpers get up to are beyond belief- currently there a couple of caravans behind bivvies on one water near me - staycations all the rage! Roll on the cold weather when they hibernate