The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Where have all the Mackerel gone???

Post by stubbojo »

chrisdonna wrote: Wed Aug 25 2021 20:28 -
Stubbojo,
I caught more because I fished with better lures in the right places and used a different trolling technique. Overall we had over 30 Bass of all sizes but my 6 pounder looked a monster for my inexperienced eyes.
I think I it easy to think Bass fishing is easy until you actually go out there and a feeling of isolation comes over you and the realisation that fish/Bass aren`t everywhere but in specific spots, a bit like pike fishing really.
Hope you had a good trip.
Chris Donovan
your right chris there not every where ,its took me nearly twenty years of fishing for bass to build up a picture of where they like to hunt and ambush prey
tides, weather ,wind all come into play , and bait too , to much bait in an area for instance can effect your fishing ,and sometimes theres only a small window to catch maybe 30minutes then its all over ....but theirs nothing better than fishing a large live-bait under a float or free-lining when you can .......had plenty on lures , but into doubles on livies
most of my fishing is done over inshore reefs in about 15ft water in general
will be having a serious go at it again shortly......
SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Aug 26 2021 21:40 -
Stubbojo,
I caught more because I fished with better lures in the right places and used a different trolling technique. Overall we had over 30 Bass of all sizes but my 6 pounder looked a monster for my inexperienced eyes.
I think I it easy to think Bass fishing is easy until you actually go out there and a feeling of isolation comes over you and the realisation that fish/Bass aren`t everywhere but in specific spots, a bit like pike fishing really.
Chris Donovan
your right chris there not every where ,its took me nearly twenty years of fishing for bass to build up a picture of where they like to hunt and ambush prey
tides, weather ,wind all come into play , and bait too , to much bait in an area for instance can effect your fishing ,and sometimes theres only a small window to catch maybe 30minutes then its all over ....but theirs nothing better than fishing a large live-bait under a float or free-lining when you can .......had plenty on lures , but into doubles on livies
That’s a great post. You have succinctly described the main factors in targeting bass. One thing that is for sure, no two days are the same.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

SamG wrote: Thu Aug 26 2021 22:38 -
stubbojo wrote: Thu Aug 26 2021 21:40 -
Stubbojo,
Chris Donovan
That’s a great post. You have succinctly described the main factors in targeting bass. One thing that is for sure, no two days are the same.
thanks sam ....going back maybe 6 years ago me and my mate caught 36 bass to 10lb nothing under 5lb that day , everything on that day was spot on , the drift was just right over this reef which was a very shallow reef only about 13ft over the sweet spot .....we have had good days after , but nothing like that since ...we only took 2 fish that day 1 each..... all caught on free lined big sandeels with a tiny bullet just to keep them down a bit in the flow........ most sessions these days produce about 3 to 4 fish if your lucky... but big fish.... as i target now with large mackerell livies and big lures