Plastic Peeler Crab

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Plastic Peeler Crab

Post by chrisdonna »

Has any one had any success using plastic peeler crab soaked in peeler crab oil for bass????
I have just invested £20 on them with the oils as lazy way to catch bass taking into account my buggered up back and knee making lure fishing a no no.
Regards,
Chris Donovan
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Plastic Peeler Crab

Post by Mike J »

No.
Around me all the softies are harvested for commercial sale so long ago I resorted to using a whole hardback. Fished in the shallows 1ft or so under a small bubble float on a flood tide it usually results in a fish or two. Nothing fancy just pull off one leg and put the hook through the hole and out the belly.
I sit on my bucket or rock and hold the rod level, a normal sized fish will just steam off after picking it up, if it doesn't be prepared.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

Mike J wrote: Wed Aug 18 2021 10:34 -
No.
Around me all the softies are harvested for commercial sale so long ago I resorted to using a whole hardback. Fished in the shallows 1ft or so under a small bubble float on a flood tide it usually results in a fish or two. Nothing fancy just pull off one leg and put the hook through the hole and out the belly.
I sit on my bucket or rock and hold the rod level, a normal sized fish will just steam off after picking it up, if it doesn't be prepared.

I'll happily use hardbacks as you suggest for Hounds round here when they are "on it" but for Bass I've rarely done any good with them so far. Not sure I'd bother with plastics and oil either though?
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

I`ll give it a go and lure fish at the same time which will be a good indication of their effectiveness.
Just bought some peeler crab oil to off set the smell of the plastic as I believe that the smell makes all the difference. Hope to get out Monday and Tuesday of next week.
Chrisd
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris give that crab a go, nothing to loose and plenty to gain if they work.
I have fished with a soft plastic bait that had the smell of the old Wrigleys tuttie fruitie chewing gum. We were drifting the Shambles for plaice and I tipped a small spoon with about 1" of it and had a fish before the lead touched the bottom, it wasnt a one off either as I gave a piece I gave to a friend and he had the best fish of the day on it. It was called Isome or something similar.
After using Yamamoto Senko stick baits successfully for Black Bass I tried them under a float for sea Bass and they caught well, so good infact the fish wouldn't let them go once they have them in their mouths.

SmoothH, the first time I used hardbacks for Bass was after catching a fish on a fly and finding them inside its stomach, another brillant bait is live prawn, problem is mullet like them as well. The real killer down here are old stinky slipper limpets collected from the shore when a big blow has passed over.

Anyone tried maggots?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

Thanks for that Mike, interesting.
My mate Phil Pearson tells me that when he gets follows from Bass (whilst lure fishing) that don`t take he changes to a surface lure and they go potty for them. So do the Gannets.
Bass fishing is my present love but I have struggled to match the results from Phil and other friends but next week I hope to put that to rights.
Chris Donovan
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

chrisdonna wrote: Thu Aug 19 2021 14:08 -
Thanks for that Mike, interesting.
My mate Phil Pearson tells me that when he gets follows from Bass (whilst lure fishing) that don`t take he changes to a surface lure and they go potty for them. So do the Gannets.
Bass fishing is my present love but I have struggled to match the results from Phil and other friends but next week I hope to put that to rights.
Chris Donovan

I went and looked at some of those plastic peelers yesterday and would have tried a pack but at £5.99 I thought it would be cheapet to let you do the initial trials :grin:

chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

Mike,
Clever and prudent at the same time??
Chrisd