Irish trip last week.

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Irish trip last week.

Post by John Milford »

I'm not long back from a week in Galway, visiting my twin brother Rob.

On our last trip (pre lockdown) the weather was too rough to get out to sea, but this time the weather was perfect.

Found the mackerel almost immediately and I managed to get our bait in just two drops down with the feathers. A string of four on the first drop and a 'full house' of five on the second!

We motored out 10 miles offshore and drifted, hoping the blues would pick up on the chum trail.

With the bag in only 20 minutes, and the baits out even less, Rob was soon into a fish that didn't seem that big at first, as it came towards the boat quite easily - and then it promptly smoked his reel on a 250' crash dive! :eek:

IMG_20210906_114123_697~2.jpg

6' 1" female porbeagle, possibly over 200lb! We must have virtually dropped right on her.

Sadly the blues never showed all day - perhaps we were a few weeks too late this time? (Rob didn't seem too bothered though! :roll: ).

I had to make do with a couple of nice spurdogs and a rake of big pollack this time out. But there's always a next time! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Irish trip last week.

Post by suffolk si »

Fantastic pictures JohnπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13 2021 07:15 -
I was especially pleased with the action shots of the fish at the side of the boat Si, considering they were just taken on my phone with me leaning over the side.

One reflection, the skipper, Rob and I decided that we'd skip bringing a fish that size on board for the 'Trophy shot' if we're lucky another time. It took all three of us to lift it and it was a bit too hairy all round! :afraid:

It would have been better to measure, tag and T bar the hook out (bronzed, de-barbed) in the water for a boatside release, we decided.
(afterwards! :roll: ).

It was tagged and went back OK though. :thumbs:

IMG_20210906_114811_405~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Great stuff John.

On my bucket list!
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

John Milford wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13 2021 11:07 -
suffolk si wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13 2021 07:15 -
I was especially pleased with the action shots of the fish at the side of the boat Si, considering they were just taken on my phone with me leaning over the side.

One reflection, the skipper, Rob and I decided that we'd skip bringing a fish that size on board for the 'Trophy shot' if we're lucky another time. It took all three of us to lift it and it was a bit too hairy all round! :afraid:

It would have been better to measure, tag and T bar the hook out (bronzed, de-barbed) in the water for a boatside release, we decided.
(afterwards! :roll: ).

It was tagged and went back OK though. :thumbs:

IMG_20210906_114811_405~2.jpg
That looks a fun day out for all :cool:

I take it you were furthest from the pointy end on its return :laughs:
Andy Carpenter
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Some great photos there John, nice one mate :thumbs:
Joe Birch
β€œThere’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

John, have a look on Youtube at G Smith kayak angling. He,s an irish fella who has caught Blues and Porbeagles from his kayak off Donegal coastline, not small ones either, estimated 300 pounders witnessed by a fisheries boat.
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

Fantastic stuff, some nice pics too, no wonder your brother was chuffed, he looks like he's hit the jackpot and he has

Out of interest, what gear did he land it on, line strength and wire strength, there's a few off our coastline but been a bit of a shortage of mackerel for baiting up
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Cracking day.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Brian Carragher wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13 2021 18:54 -
Fantastic stuff, some nice pics too, no wonder your brother was chuffed, he looks like he's hit the jackpot and he has

Out of interest, what gear did he land it on, line strength and wire strength, there's a few off our coastline but been a bit of a shortage of mackerel for baiting up
Rob used the skipper's set-up Brian - good kit - Sean only trusts American end tackle for sharking and has no time for any Chinese components!

I can only tell you exactly what mine was, but it was all bought based on Sean's expert guidance a few years ago.

50lb line class rod, Penn Senator 114H, 60lb mono, 250 lb hard-mono rubbing leader, 275lb AFW 49 strand wire and 10/0 bronzed mustad (crushed barbs). I had a lighter 30lb class outfit with a Penn 112 for the bottom fishing.

The skipper's kit was pretty much as above, but with modern Shimano reels (although he really loved my old Senators! :pipe: ).

Some people reckon 30lb class rods are adequate for sharking, but take a look at the bend in Rob's 50lb class outfit and decide for yourself! :wink:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Fancy giving it a bash Bri??
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

John Milford wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13 2021 21:22 -
Brian Carragher wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13 2021 18:54 -

Rob used the skipper's set-up Brian - good kit - Sean only trusts American end tackle for sharking and has no time for any Chinese components!

I can only tell you exactly what mine was, but it was all bought based on Sean's expert guidance a few years ago.

50lb line class rod, Penn Senator 114H, 60lb mono, 250 lb hard-mono rubbing leader, 275lb AFW 49 strand wire and 10/0 bronzed mustad (crushed barbs). I had a lighter 30lb class outfit with a Penn 112 for the bottom fishing.

The skipper's kit was pretty much as above, but with modern Shimano reels (although he really loved my old Senators! :pipe: ).

Some people reckon 30lb class rods are adequate for sharking, but take a look at the bend in Rob's 50lb class outfit and decide for yourself! :wink:
Grey area John, where would my 30-50lb class rod stand?

:wink:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Another question John;

What knot do you connect the 60lb mainline to the 250lb rubbing leader with? Then is it a swivel from leader to wire trace?
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13 2021 22:18 -
Another question John;

What knot do you connect the 60lb mainline to the 250lb rubbing leader with? Then is it a swivel from leader to wire trace?
I attach the leader via a coast-lock swivel tied with a palomar onto the main line. The rubbing leader is far too thick to knot Bob, so double barrel crimps are used to form the loops. There probably are knots that Mike J will know of, but nothing I'd attempt!

My rubbing leaders were 12ft, with a swivel at the top and a link swivel at the bottom. BIG, strong ones - exactly the same as we use for Spanish cats. They're that long as the sharks will spin and their skin will make mincemeat out of the 60lb mainline - as would the boat's hull, once they're thrashing alongside.

The wire is 3ft with a swivel at the top. The last few inches at the business end is doubled, like this photo I copied.

rig1.jpg
(All my loops are formed like those. Alternatively, you can get metal 'loop protectors'. Probably a bit O.T.T. - but the way I figure it, getting latched into a shark is not something I'm going to experience very often, so I want everything to be absolutely spot-on!).
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

John Milford wrote: ↑Tue Sep 14 2021 10:21 -
Bob Watson wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13 2021 22:18 -
Another question John;

I attach the leader via a coast-lock swivel tied with a palomar onto the main line. The rubbing leader is far too thick to knot Bob, so double barrel crimps are used to form the loops. There probably are knots that Mike J will know of, but nothing I'd attempt!

My rubbing leaders were 12ft, with a swivel at the top and a link swivel at the bottom. BIG, strong ones - exactly the same as we use for Spanish cats. They're that long as the sharks will spin and their skin will make mincemeat out of the 60lb mainline - as would the boat's hull, once they're thrashing alongside.

The wire is 3ft with a swivel at the top. The last few inches at the business end is doubled, like this photo I copied.

rig1.jpg

(All my loops are formed like those. Alternatively, you can get metal 'loop protectors'. Probably a bit O.T.T. - but the way I figure it, getting latched into a shark is not something I'm going to experience very often, so I want everything to be absolutely spot-on!).
Thanks John :thumbs: