How to win a heaviest bag course competition?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Mike_Wi11iams
Stickleback
Stickleback

How to win a heaviest bag course competition?

Post by Mike_Wi11iams »

Would Match fishing be the best method to use to win Heaviest bag?
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Re: How to win a heaviest bag course competition?

Post by Paddy_R »

I think it all depends on what fish and what size fish are in the venue you're fishing. And the venue I suppose.

Are there matches/competitions there already? If so you'll get a fair idea by what has won previously.
Mike_Wi11iams
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Mike_Wi11iams »

Paddy_R wrote: Tue Sep 14 2021 16:10 -
I think it all depends on what fish and what size fish are in the venue you're fishing. And the venue I suppose.

Are there matches/competitions there already? If so you'll get a fair idea by what has won previously.
There’s no matches on this lake but it holds many different species of fish, it is also known as a tough lake to fish.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

If it's considered a tough lake by 'specimen' anglers, then targeting smaller fish with 'match' tactics would be my way to go.

Even a modest net of small fish might be enough - if its over a limited time, during the day, and nobody targeting big fish gets lucky. :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I won a match quite a few years back on a well known local commercial, there were two options; fish for silvers with maggot and hope to put together a decent net, which was the usual late winter/early spring tactic, or sit it out on corn and micro pellet and hope for a couple of lumps, which I opted for. I was tempted to change a few times but stuck to my guns.

I weighed in three fish for 28lb IIRC

That was actually the last match I fished, just looked at the pics, April 2003
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

Bob Watson wrote: Tue Sep 14 2021 20:04 -
I won a match quite a few years back on a well known local commercial, there were two options; fish for silvers with maggot and hope to put together a decent net, which was the usual late winter/early spring tactic, or sit it out on corn and micro pellet and hope for a couple of lumps, which I opted for. I was tempted to change a few times but stuck to my guns.

I weighed in three fish for 28lb IIRC

That was actually the last match I fished, just looked at the pics, April 2003
We fished some small matches for a few years and on the tougher days we were faced with the same decision. I always opted to fish for the smaller silvers. I knew most of the others would fish for lumps and knowing the venue well I knew they'd be scarce. Fishing for lumps was tempting but it was really just the luck of the draw as to where they showed up (if they showed up). I knew that fishing for silvers on those tougher days would almost guarantee me a place. It served me well with plenty of wins too.
One occasion springs to mind when I fished solidly for the tiniest of roach through the lilies in what seemed a hopeless endeavor but I kept at it for five hours. Ridiculously tiny fish but they were fairly constant. I won with something like 2lb 10oz.

It all depends on the venue and what's in it. The more you know the better you'll be. Great fun though. :thumbs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

If it has a head of bream or skimmers they'd be my main target. They weigh a bit and are quickly brought to the net, perfect weight builders.

Its surprising what you can land on balanced gear and taking your time should a bigger fish put in an appearance.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Bang a load of dead reds/pellet in the side and leave it.
Get a good bit of bait down in 2 other places and fish for bream.
After an hour try the inside for carp. No joy go back on the bream.
Last hour of match see if carp have moved in.