mackerel are back in numbers with the bass

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

mackerel are back in numbers with the bass

Post by stubbojo »

been away for 3 weeks after my favourite sea fish .....bass
and they didn't disappoint plenty of fish in the 4lb to 6lb bracket with the odd bigger fish

the mackerel came back with a vengeance and catching bait sized fish was easy once we found them in a tide race , they where there everyday in the same spot mostly joeys with the odd big fish mixed in with them , caught some nice Pollock on lives intended for the bass but cant complain ....pictures to follow shortly....... now wheres me camera gone.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Re: mackerel are back in numbers with the bass

Post by Danoutdoors »

Brill πŸ‘
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

bass to live bait , joey mackerel fished beneath a float fished shallow over very small reef......
bass and pollock 019.JPG
bass and pollock 007.JPG
bass and pollock 020.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i always measure my bass and a lot went back , but most where legal takers , they are a very good eating fish so most days we had 2 fish each on the boat
bass and pollock 023.JPG
bass and pollock 021.JPG
my mate with 2 nice bass , my fish actually but he wanted a photo as his were tiddlers....well 3lb ish
my other mate with a nice Pollock to live mackerel his PB on the Pollock so going to get this picture framed for him as a surprise......
bass and pollock 010.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

we had loads of pollock to big white feathers , and the bass wanted them too , they were really having it some days think we had 12 bass in a short 3 hour session one day.....its all about the timing of the tide , wind , drift has to be just right as regards to direction over certain reefs to make it work properly , even the wrasse wanted the rubber eels intended for bass .
bass and pollock 008.JPG
bass and pollock 018.JPG
we had 2 good weeks of weather then the weather turned a westerly and hampered the rest of the week as regards to the drift , so we went offshore to a big reef and hammered the pollock instead on light tackle ...to make it more fun ..
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Great stuff!!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Wed Oct 06 2021 21:28 -
Great stuff!!
cant believe how many mackerel have returned to the bay when the weather settled down ......
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

They were late arriving here but when they came, the last couple of trips out on the boat, we couldn't get through them to get down for the cod.

Hoping to get out again soon if conditions allow.
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

They came in late in North Wales and we had a dozen last week which were a good size from off Swansea.
Only fished for them for an hour and then anchored up and had loads of doggies and thornbacks.
Does anybody know how to clean thornbacks and if they are good to eat? I have heard of ray cuttings (tail meat) but not of the wings.
Chris Donovan
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

chrisdonna wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08 2021 09:32 -
They came in late in North Wales and we had a dozen last week which were a good size from off Swansea.
Only fished for them for an hour and then anchored up and had loads of doggies and thornbacks.
Does anybody know how to clean thornbacks and if they are good to eat? I have heard of ray cuttings (tail meat) but not of the wings.
Chris Donovan

They are excellent to eat. However they do need to be prepared correctly.
First kill your humanely, then turn on its back and starting beside the tail cut the 'banjo' out between the two wings, the knife going slightly outwards follows the wing bone, then follows the bone joining both wings and back down the other side. You should end up with a banjo shape with the tail forming the stem which you discard.
The next part is the most important, you thread a rope through the wing bone and trail the wings over the side in the tide to wash out the ammonia smell from the flesh. If you cannot removed the ammonia the flesh is inedible.
To skin you need a pair of pliers and a good glove, pulling with the pliers towards the wing edge. With a large fish take the skin off in sections. The belly skin you leave.
Poached in butter the pure white flesh just slides off the bones and is delicious.

Enjoy :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

Mike,
Thanks for that but I think I will put them back. I am sure it`s easier than you describe but I`ll stick to the Macky and Bass ha ha
That talk of ammonia put me off.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Thu Oct 07 2021 23:50 -
They were late arriving here but when they came, the last couple of trips out on the boat, we couldn't get through them to get down for the cod.

think i will be going back for another go at the bass , sometimes they get bigger as the season goes by , been told by a local that the bigger bass come in after October
and even into January some of the bigger bass 10lb plus make a appearance on the reefs .....but the problem is catching live baits as the mackerel and sand-eels are long gone by then ,as i like to catch my bass on lives , but maybe i should try lures or the whiting or small coalies as lives instead ..... due to no covid restrictions at the moment i do fancy going back to have another go , the only thing stopping me if the pike fishing ...and once i get into that this season it takes over everything else ......
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08 2021 09:59 -
Chris Donovan

First kill your humanely, then turn on its back and starting beside the tail cut the 'banjo' out between the two wings, the knife going slightly outwards follows the wing bone, then follows the bone joining both wings and back down the other side. You should end up with a banjo shape with the tail forming the stem which you discard.
The next part is the most important, you thread a rope through the wing bone and trail the wings over the side in the tide to wash out the ammonia smell from the flesh. If you cannot removed the ammonia the flesh is inedible.
To skin you need a pair of pliers and a good glove, pulling with the pliers towards the wing edge. With a large fish take the skin off in sections. The belly skin you leave.
Poached in butter the pure white flesh just slides off the bones and is delicious.

The Thornbacks seem to have multiplied significantly in the last few years on our East coast beaches. I had one of 11lbs odd a couple or three seasons back.

Not to my tastes (bass neither, give me a plump Whiting any day!) but the experienced sea anglers tell.me you need to kill and clean them on the spot or they taste rank..
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08 2021 18:55 -

think i will be going back for another go at the bass , sometimes they get bigger as the season goes by , been told by a local that the bigger bass come in after October
and even into January some of the bigger bass 10lb plus make a appearance on the reefs .....but the problem is catching live baits as the mackerel and sand-eels are long gone by then ,as i like to catch my bass on lives , but maybe i should try lures or the whiting or small coalies as lives instead ..... due to no covid restrictions at the moment i do fancy going back to have another go , the only thing stopping me if the pike fishing ...and once i get into that this season it takes over everything else ......
Which part of the coastline do you normally target, without giving too much away :wink:

I'm north east and Bass are there but homework is required :wink:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08 2021 19:43 -
stubbojo wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08 2021 18:55 -

Which part of the coastline do you normally target, without giving too much away :wink:

I'm north east and Bass are there but homework is required :wink:
a north wales island ......good for bass , tope , thorn-backs , conger , gurnard, not as many cod as there used to be ,whiting and coalies in the winter months
filled my freezer to the gunnel's over the last 3 weeks ...stocked up on my favourite pike bait joey mackerel and the pollack fishing just gets better every year
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08 2021 19:31 -
Mike J wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08 2021 09:59 -
Chris Donovan

The Thornbacks seem to have multiplied significantly in the last few years on our East coast beaches. I had one of 11lbs odd a couple or three seasons back.

Not to my tastes (bass neither, give me a plump Whiting any day!) but the experienced sea anglers tell.me you need to kill and clean them on the spot or they taste rank..
put them in your fridge for 2 days helps with the taste
bass for me are one of the best eating fish in the sea , but needs cooking correctly ......

mike you are spot on with the thornbacks , we used to tow loads of them behind the boat on the way back in , and they are good eating ,very delicate flesh
a skipper showed us all aboard how to prepare thornbacks and cook keep them in the fridge for 2 days and they will taste just fine ... :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Skates and rays are sharks....they urinate through their skin hence the ammonia smell. Clean any shark species and pop it in the fridge for 2 days and the ammonia will leach out.
Luvverly :grin:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08 2021 21:17 -
Skates and rays are sharks....they urinate through their skin hence the ammonia smell. Clean any shark species and pop it in the fridge for 2 days and the ammonia will leach out.
Luvverly :grin:
spot on kev
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Top fishing stubbojo, lots of mackerel here on the South Coast too now, some calm weather and small tides at the end of this week, we will be having a go for the plaice :smile:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Sat Oct 09 2021 20:14 -
Top fishing stubbojo, lots of mackerel here on the South Coast too now, some calm weather and small tides at the end of this week, we will be having a go for the plaice :smile:
plaice , now theres a tasty fish alex......we get a few here , fish a long flowing trace with beads and silver flutter spoon at anchor or a slow drift works ..good luck pal
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Sat Oct 09 2021 20:58 -
plaice , now theres a tasty fish alex......we get a few here , fish a long flowing trace with beads and silver flutter spoon at anchor or a slow drift works ..good luck pal

Some great plaice fishing here some autumns, had fish to over 5lbs, especially on mussel beds if they haven't gone

While fishing with some of the Brighton lads some years ago, i discovered they don't use any flutter spoons and just have a short trace of 1 1/2 - 2 foot max, and about 10 beads at the hook, they outfished my spoons and long traces, so i swapped and have fished their way ever since and catch more :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Sun Oct 10 2021 11:29 -

Some great plaice fishing here some autumns, had fish to over 5lbs, especially on mussel beds if they haven't gone

While fishing with some of the Brighton lads some years ago, i discovered they don't use any flutter spoons and just have a short trace of 1 1/2 - 2 foot max, and about 10 beads at the hook, they outfished my spoons and long traces, so i swapped and have fished their way ever since and catch more :thumbs:
the reason i add a flutter spoon , there is always a chance of a bass homing in on it as well :thumbs:
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Sun Oct 10 2021 18:41 -

the reason i add a flutter spoon , there is always a chance of a bass homing in on it as well :thumbs:

Yes but it is virtually always a schoolie ... trust me, i wouldn't believe it until i tried the short trace and just beads

When its time for fat juicy plaice ... the bass can wait :smile:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Sun Oct 10 2021 19:01 -

Yes but it is virtually always a schoolie ... trust me, i wouldn't believe it until i tried the short trace and just beads

No bait on hook?
Any particular colour bead or combinations?
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14 2021 21:31 -

No bait on hook?
I think he meant just beads and bait with no flutter spoons :shrug:
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

No bait on hook?

Haha a nice big ragworm tipped with a long thin strip of calamari squid or a peeled king prawn tipped with the trailing squid strip

Bloody bead colours ... i just mix the colours up, but i do put a nylon stop knot just above them to stop them travelling up the hook trace and away from the bait
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Fri Oct 15 2021 13:48 -

No bait on hook?

Haha a nice big ragworm tipped with a long thin strip of calamari squid or a peeled king prawn tipped with the trailing squid strip

Bloody bead colours ... i just mix the colours up, but i do put a nylon stop knot just above them to stop them travelling up the hook trace and away from the bait
Last time I fished for place was Brixham. Long trace of 10 ft half a dozen beads and a half peeler and couple of legs lashed on the hook with a bootlace of calamari. Nowt above 2lb but had a dozen of em.....luvverly :grin:
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Fri Oct 15 2021 15:06 -
Alex Fox wrote: ↑Fri Oct 15 2021 13:48 -

No bait on hook?

Last time I fished for place was Brixham. Long trace of 10 ft half a dozen beads and a half peeler and couple of legs lashed on the hook with a bootlace of calamari. Nowt above 2lb but had a dozen of em.....luvverly :grin:
They are great fun to catch and surprisingly pull quite hard, peelers are a quid each now :eek:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

nice eating fish alex
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Fri Oct 15 2021 19:03 -
nice eating fish alex
They are amazing to eat fresh ... not like the sh1t sold in supermarkets !