stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: mackerel are back in numbers with the bass

Post by stubbojo »

Alex Fox wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 19:11 -
stubbojo wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 19:03 -
nice eating fish alex
They are amazing to eat fresh ... not like the sh1t sold in supermarkets !
most fish you buy are about 7 days old when we buy them , thats what i have been told by an x fishmonger....
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Alex Fox wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 15:57 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 15:06 -
Alex Fox wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 13:48 -
Kev Berry wrote: Thu Oct 14 2021 21:31 -
Alex Fox wrote: Sun Oct 10 2021 19:01 -
stubbojo wrote: Sun Oct 10 2021 18:41 -
Alex Fox wrote: Sun Oct 10 2021 11:29 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Oct 09 2021 20:58 -
Alex Fox wrote: Sat Oct 09 2021 20:14 -
Top fishing stubbojo, lots of mackerel here on the South Coast too now, some calm weather and small tides at the end of this week, we will be having a go for the plaice :smile:
plaice , now theres a tasty fish alex......we get a few here , fish a long flowing trace with beads and silver flutter spoon at anchor or a slow drift works ..good luck pal

Some great plaice fishing here some autumns, had fish to over 5lbs, especially on mussel beds if they haven't gone

While fishing with some of the Brighton lads some years ago, i discovered they don't use any flutter spoons and just have a short trace of 1 1/2 - 2 foot max, and about 10 beads at the hook, they outfished my spoons and long traces, so i swapped and have fished their way ever since and catch more :thumbs:
the reason i add a flutter spoon , there is always a chance of a bass homing in on it as well :thumbs:

Yes but it is virtually always a schoolie ... trust me, i wouldn't believe it until i tried the short trace and just beads

When its time for fat juicy plaice ... the bass can wait :smile:
No bait on hook?
Any particular colour bead or combinations?

Haha a nice big ragworm tipped with a long thin strip of calamari squid or a peeled king prawn tipped with the trailing squid strip

Bloody bead colours ... i just mix the colours up, but i do put a nylon stop knot just above them to stop them travelling up the hook trace and away from the bait
Last time I fished for place was Brixham. Long trace of 10 ft half a dozen beads and a half peeler and couple of legs lashed on the hook with a bootlace of calamari. Nowt above 2lb but had a dozen of em.....luvverly :grin:
They are great fun to catch and surprisingly pull quite hard, peelers are a quid each now :eek:
25 years ago when i fished Brixham they were 50p :afraid:

I used my pike rods to catch them.....used to get some whoppers at Bridlington. Years ago
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

stubbojo wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 20:06 -
Alex Fox wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 19:11 -
stubbojo wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 19:03 -
nice eating fish alex
They are amazing to eat fresh ... not like the sh1t sold in supermarkets !
most fish you buy are about 7 days old when we buy them , thats what i have been told by an x fishmonger....
Yeah apparently 7-8 days old is normal :sick: