Night fishing?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Night fishing?

Post by Chris Hammond »

Anybody ever set out to capture dace during the hours of darkness?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Night fishing?

Post by Mike J »

Yes I have caught a few dace at night I have also caught grayling and rainbow trout and neither are not supposed to feed at night.
(Fish dont read books)

Wonder what Dr E says about them feeding at night? Will check.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

I used to catch them in the first few hours of darkness, back home on the Cork Blackwater in winter many years ago. A similar pattern to fishing for roach after dark, nothing for the first hour or so, then they would come on for an hour or 2. Bigger fish than would be caught in the same swim earlier on in daylight, well, up to a lb. anyway. They did'nt always come back on the feed but did so often enough, which was probably a feature of weather conditions etc. I used a short soft quivertip rod with an isotope and caught them on bigger baits like breadflake on a size 10 on a link leger, which I'd be using to try and pick out some bigger roach.
Marcraft are for queers.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Thanks chaps. I think I will try my luck. 👍
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!