Pike fly line and reel

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Pike fly line and reel

Post by Catfish Paul »

Morning

My birthday was a few weeks ago and my good lady bought me a 9# pike fly rod....with a little help from me.

I now need to buy a reel and fly line for the rod.

I am thinking about buying a 10# line , to help compress the rod and cast better.
Do you chaps think this is a good idea??

Can you recommend a line and reel?
Not looking to go crazy with the budget but want it suitable for purpose obviously.

I will mainly be fishing canals and lakes.
Lakes have a general depth of 5 feet to 10 feet

All advice greatly appreciated
Slug
Chub
Chub

Re: Pike fly line and reel

Post by Slug »

I’ve got a vision rulla 4 with a spare spool I was going to sell if your interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Slug wrote: ↑Mon Oct 18 2021 12:27 -
I’ve got a vision rulla 4 with a spare spool I was going to sell if your interested.
Hi Slug,

Is the reel loaded with a fly line?
If so, what weight is it

And of course, how much are you looking for?

Thanks
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Airflo 40+ sniper lines are very good.
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Yes, uplining by one size is generally good, but Airflo Snpiers are heavy lines so stay with a 9 weight for your rod.

I have a 10 weight sniper on my 11 weight Scott Meridian and it loads the rod well.

As for a reel depends on your budget and whether you play fish on reel as i do or you ply by hand. If the latter some cheap reel will do.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Thanks for the advice and heads up chaps.

And thanks Slug for the PM's

Will look at a 9# sniper line and let you know how I get on
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

For reels I'd recommend buying a cassette reel, that way you get extra spools so can buy more lines of different types (floating, intermediate, sinking etc) without buying more reels, and then you can easily change lines at the bank/boat without messing about, as required to meet different circumstances like depth etc.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Pinkie wrote: ↑Thu Oct 21 2021 11:38 -
For reels I'd recommend buying a cassette reel, that way you get extra spools so can buy more lines of different types (floating, intermediate, sinking etc) without buying more reels, and then you can easily change lines at the bank/boat without messing about, as required to meet different circumstances like depth etc.
Good advice πŸ‘thanks

I have a few recommendations for line and reel so will do a final bit of research, perhaps a trip to Sportfish and make a purchase.

Can't wait to get out and try fly fishing for pike.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Catfish Paul wrote: ↑Thu Oct 21 2021 12:10 -
Good advice πŸ‘thanks

I have a few recommendations for line and reel so will do a final bit of research, perhaps a trip to Sportfish and make a purchase.

It's great fun. Make sure you buy a good leader etc. I use Seaguar 25.5 lb Ace Hard fluorocarbon but 30 lb clear maxima is just as good. And for wire I use Rio Powerflex Wire Bite (30lb), but that's on an 8/9 and a 10# rod.

If you've fly fished before you just need to adapt your style a little, and definitely double haul if you want distance. But having the right line like sniper will certainly help. For backing you'll just need 50 yards for canals.

And I'm finding it's easier to play the fish not using the reel, just the line.
You also need to get into the habit of striking by directly pulling the line , not by lifting the rod!
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Pinkie wrote: ↑Thu Oct 21 2021 17:46 -
Catfish Paul wrote: ↑Thu Oct 21 2021 12:10 -
Good advice πŸ‘thanks

It's great fun. Make sure you buy a good leader etc. I use Seaguar 25.5 lb Ace Hard fluorocarbon but 30 lb clear maxima is just as good. And for wire I use Rio Powerflex Wire Bite (30lb), but that's on an 8/9 and a 10# rod.

If you've fly fished before you just need to adapt your style a little, and definitely double haul if you want distance. But having the right line like sniper will certainly help. For backing you'll just need 50 yards for canals.

And I'm finding it's easier to play the fish not using the reel, just the line.
You also need to get into the habit of striking by directly pulling the line , not by lifting the rod!
Thanks for the advice.....

I've ordered my reel and line, should be delivered early next week.....can't wait

Thanks again to Slug and Pinkie
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Muskie wrote: ↑Wed Oct 20 2021 11:31 -
Yes, uplining by one size is generally good, but Airflo Snpiers are heavy lines so stay with a 9 weight for your rod.

I have a 10 weight sniper on my 11 weight Scott Meridian and it loads the rod well.

As for a reel depends on your budget and whether you play fish on reel as i do or you ply by hand. If the latter some cheap reel will do.
I have ordered a 9 weight sniper line....

Thanks for your reply and advice πŸ‘