Pellets.

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Pellets.

Post by Chris Hammond »

I'm feeding some small halibut pellets (4,6 and 8mm) into a little stream with a view to fishing them on the hook eventually. Is anyone able to tell me how to make durable hook-baits (Other than just drilling them through) from the actual pellets please?

Ideally Some method for making them soft and rubbery?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Pellets.

Post by Monts »

When we used to fish MF for the big Crucian's we used small Sonu Baits hookable pellets Chris, I'm sure the fish won't mind the slight difference. As we fed small halibuts and float fished the soft ones over the top.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

To fish the same pellet on the hook you could always use a pellet band Chris.
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
wilkie
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by wilkie »

I use a Pellet band that suits the size of pellet that I'm fishing
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Monts wrote: Sat Dec 18 2021 19:01 -
When we used to fish MF for the big Crucian's we used small Sonu Baits hookable pellets Chris, I'm sure the fish won't mind the slight difference. As we fed small halibuts and float fished the soft ones over the top.
Yeah I think that's likely to be my best option Jason. I have some that a mate recently gave me to try. 👍
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve D wrote: Sat Dec 18 2021 20:15 -
To fish the same pellet on the hook you could always use a pellet band Chris.
Yes that's another option cheers Steve. I'm trying to keep the presentation as tight as possible.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

wilkie wrote: Sat Dec 18 2021 21:37 -
Cheers Wilkie.

For some reason I thought there was a method of making standard pellets soft and rubbery?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Dec 19 2021 08:45 -
Monts wrote: Sat Dec 18 2021 19:01 -
Yeah I think that's likely to be my best option Jason. I have some that a mate recently gave me to try. 👍

I also tried pellets and cut some bands from float rubbers, mounted a few at leisure so I was good to go when needed.
But of all the baits Ive tried flake reigns supreme on moving water.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Dynamite do soft Durable pellet hook baits....had loads of fish on them.
From 4mm..12mm
Hook or hair rig
They slowly dissolve giving off a gunky trail for the fish to home in on
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Dec 19 2021 12:55 -
Dynamite do soft Durable pellet hook baits....had loads of fish on them.
From 4mm..12mm
Hook or hair rig
They slowly dissolve giving off a gunky trail for the fish to home in on
Those were the magic barbel magnets Kev👍👍
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Dec 19 2021 08:48 -
wilkie wrote: Sat Dec 18 2021 21:37 -
Cheers Wilkie.

For some reason I thought there was a method of making standard pellets soft and rubbery?
might be well wrong ...pellet vacuum pump thingy ........does these things draw in scents and flavours .....never used one though
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Scrape one side of the pellet with a knife blade to flat, do the same with another and superglue them to a hair rig. If you want to be even more technical you can cut a groove to accept the hair, I just tie a couple of overhand knots in the hair to act as a stop.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Cheers chaps. It seems I must have imagined the method of making hookbaits from standard pellets. I might be confusing it with the bread paste method?

Anyway I have a pack of ready mades to try that a pal gave me so I will try those.👍
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

I make a stiff paste from pellets Chris and it’s an extremely effective bait for various species.
Small pellets work best but, because I buy ‘donkey choker’ 22mm in bulk, I just pound a batch with a club hammer to break them down.
Stick some in a bucket , just cover them with boiling water, then leave overnight.
In the morning , knead into a stiff paste. It can be moulded on the hook, or used slightly watered down as a slow release ground bait moulded around a lead or feeder.
Any left over must be frozen quickly otherwise it will develop mould but, in my experience can be defrosted and re used several times.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

jeff smith wrote: Fri Dec 24 2021 13:41 -
I make a stiff paste from pellets Chris and it’s an extremely effective bait for various species.
Small pellets work best but, because I buy ‘donkey choker’ 22mm in bulk, I just pound a batch with a club hammer to break them down.
Stick some in a bucket , just cover them with boiling water, then leave overnight.
In the morning , knead into a stiff paste. It can be moulded on the hook, or used slightly watered down as a slow release ground bait moulded around a lead or feeder.
Any left over must be frozen quickly otherwise it will develop mould but, in my experience can be defrosted and re used several times.
Thanks Jeff I'll give it a try. 👍
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Dec 19 2021 23:04 -
Scrape one side of the pellet with a knife blade to flat, do the same with another and superglue them to a hair rig. If you want to be even more technical you can cut a groove to accept the hair, I just tie a couple of overhand knots in the hair to act as a stop.
I used a small file to do that Bob.....or if on a stoned swim just rub on the rocks. I used a sliding loop on hair rig to hold em together.
Strangely I find fishing two pellets like this usually outfishes just using a bigger pellet
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Kev Berry wrote: Tue Dec 28 2021 01:08 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sun Dec 19 2021 23:04 -
I used a small file to do that Bob.....or if on a stoned swim just rub on the rocks. I used a sliding loop on hair rig to hold em together.
Strangely I find fishing two pellets like this usually outfishes just using a bigger pellet
:thumbs:

Me too!
ChrisR2010
Roach
Roach

Post by ChrisR2010 »

Not tried it on pellets but to make mixers soft enough to hook a small amount of water in a polythene bag ( sandwich/freezer bag ) seal and give good shake so that all the mixers have come into contact with the moisture. Leave over night and job done. It could work with pellets albeit they are harder and I would expect less absorbant. Might be worth a go ??