Post by Stewlaws »

Catch of a lifetime.... huge !
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Re: Massive brace of Roach

Post by Bob Watson »

Awe inspiring stuff.

One of those fish is realistically just a dream for many of us. Personally I'd rather catch one of those than a 40lb carp and I do like a bit of carp fishing on occasion.

Great stuff thanks for posting :thumbs:
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Stunning fish.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

That 4 looked huge and both scale and fin perfect
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

stunning fish ......we have some huge roach in our club carp waters ....nobody targets them hardly ...seen some beauty's on the camera
good vid
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Watched that this morning. Really enjoyed.
Michael Bruton
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Very nice fish, thanks for posting.

To my mind a big Roach can only be considered worthy if they come from a river and are caught trotting.
A brace of 4's came from an English river a while ago and similar brace from a river elsewhere, neither were caught on float tackle, so perhaps its an impossibility.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

great, thanks for posting that
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

What a pair of roach :eek:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Mike J wrote: Wed Jan 12 2022 14:07 -

To my mind a big Roach can only be considered worthy if they come from a river and are caught trotting.
A brace of 4's came from an English river a while ago and similar brace from a river elsewhere, neither were caught on float tackle, so perhaps its an impossibility.

Not to my mind Mike. A big clear gravel pit roach is a challenge in itself.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: Wed Jan 12 2022 19:33 -

think you can thank the carp brigade for these very big roach with all there food going in by the gallon .... , one water i fish these big roach come out every season on 18mm biolies i kid you not ......seen quite a few fresh dead ones
go past me when the carp boys have put them back ,........ dont think they go back well after being gut wrenched back in on heavy gear......shame they have got that big then die...
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Incredible capture! I would sell my soul to Old Nick for either of those!

Quite pleasing to see no pious remarks about retaining fish for photographs anywhere in the thread too. 🙂
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Plastic pike now we have plastic 4lb roach! A 4lb roach should be considered worthy even if your cat brings it home!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Jan 12 2022 20:00 -

think you can thank the carp brigade for these very big roach with all there food going in by the gallon .... , one water i fish these big roach come out every season on 18mm biolies i kid you not ......seen quite a few fresh dead ones
go past me when the carp boys have put them back ,........ dont think they go back well after being gut wrenched back in on heavy gear......shame they have got that big then die...
It would be even nicer to get one from a pit with no carp present, are there any left :shrug:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Although the carp anglers bait will make a difference, I dont believe it turns a water that could produce 2s into one that can do 4s!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Never in this world will I understand carp fishing on commercial lakes ... When you see fish the calibre of these roach, it's the very embodiment of what fishing should be.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

In my opinion it doesn't matter where a particular big fish is caught but i would always would like to have caught it from a river if i hadn't of done so. The most important thing to me is the enjoyment of fishing thats why i go.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG »

Stewlaws wrote: Wed Jan 12 2022 20:55 -
Never in this world will I understand carp fishing on commercial lakes ... When you see fish the calibre of these roach, it's the very embodiment of what fishing should be.
Hear Hear!
squimp
Roach
Roach

Post by squimp »

Those fish are fantastic.

I’ve always hankered after a 3+ Roach and preferably from a river. But that isn’t going to happen these days without a lot of time and travelling. My local river produced a few 15 years ago but I didn’t get within 6oz…..A couple of mates then went on the best available local (ish) Stillwater and caught numbers of 3’s. I resisted the temptation to join them.

Recently ano local Stillwater has produced a few really big fish and again I’ve kept away. But a couple of months ago I heard that fishing might be stopped on the place - so it was time to stop being so selective and go and fish it. Result a 3.01 after 7 short trips. Nice; but not in the same league as DW ! Those fish are inspirational.

A couple of other local waters have serious roach potential - so I will keep looking and hoping……..
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Absolutely stunning. A gravel pit i fish for pike has some crackers in it, and guess what, its a carp fishery where nobody fishes for anything else (apart from myself and one or two others).
This seems to be a common theme as another fishery i pike fish, has become known for some big carp, and once again few fish it for anything else now, and like the other water its producing some serious roach, and some massive bream (it did a 20+ a last season). Trouble is that they've become so preoccupied with boilies you cant catch them on anything else.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Wed Jan 12 2022 20:52 -

Although the carp anglers bait will make a difference, I dont believe it turns a water that could produce 2s into one that can do 4s!

Cheers, Alan
surely alan all the gallons of high protein food and the spod mixes going in dont feed the roach they love it .....just look how big the carp get in a short space of time
the pit i fish produces roach over 3lb ...... not many......... but the guys targeting the bream and a friend of mine who fishes for roach says its down to the feed going in ....
dont really fish for carp but i like tench bream and roach fishing and some of our carp waters are full of specimens just waiting to be caught
but there nobody targeting them its all carp , carp, carp,.......and more carp .....each to there own mind .... :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

squimp wrote: Wed Jan 12 2022 23:09 -
Those fish are fantastic.

I’ve always hankered after a 3+ Roach and preferably from a river. But that isn’t going to happen these days without a lot of time and travelling. My local river produced a few 15 years ago but I didn’t get within 6oz…..A couple of mates then went on the best available local (ish) Stillwater and caught numbers of 3’s. I resisted the temptation to join them.

Recently ano local Stillwater has produced a few really big fish and again I’ve kept away. But a couple of months ago I heard that fishing might be stopped on the place - so it was time to stop being so selective and go and fish it. Result a 3.01 after 7 short trips. Nice; but not in the same league as DW ! Those fish are inspirational.

A couple of other local waters have serious roach potential - so I will keep looking and hoping……..
it can take years upon years to catch a 4lb roach ......i bet the guy in the vid has been fishing all his life for these and only just caught them .....
just keep at it ........a lot of waters will have big roach in them but not fished for by design........the rig in the vid ...is very good at catching big roach and anything else for that matter
most waters now contain carp , so dont go under gunned regarding line :thumbs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

stubbojo wrote: Thu Jan 13 2022 23:42 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Wed Jan 12 2022 20:52 -

Cheers, Alan
surely alan all the gallons of high protein food and the spod mixes going in dont feed the roach they love it .....just look how big the carp get in a short space of time
the pit i fish produces roach over 3lb ...... not many......... but the guys targeting the bream and a friend of mine who fishes for roach says its down to the feed going in ....
dont really fish for carp but i like tench bream and roach fishing and some of our carp waters are full of specimens just waiting to be caught
but there nobody targeting them its all carp , carp, carp,.......and more carp .....each to there own mind .... :thumbs:
I think it will make a difference to weights of course but I dont think it will turn a 2s water into a 4s water.
The bait supplements their diet rather than replaces it.
The modern carp strains grow fast and weights are assisted by the bait but they can still achieve big weights naturally if numbers are low.
Either way, fabulous fabulous Ronnies!

Cheers, ALan
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Some of the top roach anglers do not subscribe to carp waters ultimately growing on bigger fish with the high level of food going in. Naturally the environment has to be right for them to thrive, unlike mud pigs that hoover up and grow exponentially in these places, with the average carp angler more than happy to shovel in food by the bucket full.(with the sponsored anglers advocacy of more is better)
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Definitely the carp bait that makes other species outsized in carp orientated water.

Eels, roach, rudd and bream.

I expect water quality and stock density might tip the scales even further but no question in my mind that it's anglers bait that determines fish size.

If you are lucky enough to find an unfished pike water you will get to see the phenomenon in reverse. I.e 20lbs pike with frames that would see them into the mid thirties in waters that see lots of anglers bait.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Jan 14 2022 11:32 -
Some of the top roach anglers do not subscribe to carp waters ultimately growing on bigger fish with the high level of food going in. Naturally the environment has to be right for them to thrive, unlike mud pigs that hoover up and grow exponentially in these places, with the average carp angler more than happy to shovel in food by the bucket full.(with the sponsored anglers advocacy of more is better)
Some of the 'top' roach anglers will tell you just about any big Stillwater roach ain't even a roach Stew!

I dont think any other species see the sort of snobbery and envy that big roach attract.

At least one of the most prominent roach writers is an arrant bullsh1tter. 😉
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

No fish knows whether or not it is 'wild', 'natural', in the 'right' water, falling to the 'correct' method or the 'proper' tackle.

Such petty affectations are purely down to humans and are not shared by the fish, so infer no extra merit. (Extra satisfaction to an Individual perhaps, but not merit).

The exception might be hand-reared fish, fattened up and released to be caught by knobs. There is little or no merit in that, in my book, but that is not the case here.

I am immensely impressed by those roach and the careful thought and dedication that went into their capture. :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Jan 14 2022 14:21 -
Stewlaws wrote: Fri Jan 14 2022 11:32 -
Some of the 'top' roach anglers will tell you just about any big Stillwater roach ain't even a roach Stew!

I dont think any other species see the sort of snobbery and envy that big roach attract.

At least one of the most prominent roach writers is an arrant bullsh1tter. 😉
Currently digesting a specimen angler by the name of Mark Wintle, be it YouTube/blog/written word, his gentle delivery and no nonsense approach has been drawn from over 45 plus years, absolutely zero ego and goes into subtle nuances readily, not a sponsor in sight and his delivery is almost horizontal...