Flyfishing for coarse fish

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Flyfishing for coarse fish

Post by stubbojo »

GAVIN H wrote: Sun Jul 03 2022 18:29 -
First trip out today on the fly gear. 7 foot 3 weight rod and dryfly fished upstream. Venue was a small trout stream that runs through the village. Was getting small trout going for the fly but missed them all. Tricky this dryfly. Will have a go for silver fish at some stage. Great craic.
what fly was you on gavin ,sometimes they want it just in the surface layers , try a parasol type fly in a really small size...
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

GAVIN H wrote: Sun Jul 03 2022 18:29 -
First trip out today on the fly gear. 7 foot 3 weight rod and dryfly fished upstream. Venue was a small trout stream that runs through the village. Was getting small trout going for the fly but missed them all. Tricky this dryfly. Will have a go for silver fish at some stage. Great craic.

With the small Trout, let them go down with the fly before setting the hook.
PXL_20220702_093725852.jpg
PXL_20220702_103801091.PORTRAIT.jpg
I had a good day Saturday, loads of Chub early. I then went upstream a few miles to target the Trout.

Your get used to it and as you say it's a good craic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

I ran a trout fishery around 25 years ago and spent several years deliberately targeting the course species on light fly tackle. My best were a 4lb 12oz perch, 3lb golden rudd and a 36lb common carp. All caught on an 8ft #5 hardy rod. The common carp took a size 14 hares ear and nearly emptied the reel several times.
All my fishing was with very small nymphs and dries as the lakes and river were chalk fed and crystal clear.
Never managed a tench despite the lakes having plenty and being clear enough to stalk fish. Chub are always a great species to target as are dace. Carp can be challenging but more often suicidal compared with other course species but this was a fishery where they had never been fished for so probably not typical.
I found the most difficult was actually hooking the larger perch as they often got beaten to the fly by smaller fish even when stalking, the really big ones were much more cautious and it was fascinating to watch how long they would inspect a fly before committing. I think there is a lot to be learned from fly fishing that benefits course fishermen as it tends to be a far more visual technique.
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Not sure what fly Stubbs except it was brown and it floated . I might start writing for Trout and Salmon mag :laughs:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

fenland piker wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 14:13 -
I ran a trout fishery around 25 years ago and spent several years deliberately targeting the course species on light fly tackle. My best were a 4lb 12oz perch, 3lb golden rudd and a 36lb common carp. All caught on an 8ft #5 hardy rod. The common carp took a size 14 hares ear and nearly emptied the reel several times.
All my fishing was with very small nymphs and dries as the lakes and river were chalk fed and crystal clear.
Never managed a tench despite the lakes having plenty and being clear enough to stalk fish. Chub are always a great species to target as are dace. Carp can be challenging but more often suicidal compared with other course species but this was a fishery where they had never been fished for so probably not typical.
I found the most difficult was actually hooking the larger perch as they often got beaten to the fly by smaller fish even when stalking, the really big ones were much more cautious and it was fascinating to watch how long they would inspect a fly before committing. I think there is a lot to be learned from fly fishing that benefits course fishermen as it tends to be a far more visual technique.
Would agree with these comments, we are off tomorrow down to Hampshire/Wiltshire to visit Salisbury and it's water meadows, just watching fish in these chalkstreams is fascinating, even my partner is enthralled by the river diversity and clarity from these waterways.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Just to jump in, I bought a fly set up on a whim a few years ago, used it 2 or 3 times.

I wouldn't mind trying to catch coarse fish on the fly but have absolutely no idea which patterns to use and when to use them.

Perhaps the more knowledgeable amongst us could elaborate on fly choice/type for differing situations?
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 21:23 -
Just to jump in, I bought a fly set up on a whim a few years ago, used it 2 or 3 times.

I wouldn't mind trying to catch coarse fish on the fly but have absolutely no idea which patterns to use and when to use them.

Perhaps the more knowledgeable amongst us could elaborate on fly choice/type for differing situations?
Have a look on page one Bob, there are a couple of patterns. I'm on the train into work now so can't help more at present.
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

I would start with some of the general imitation patterns in smaller sizes (Fly hook sizes are different to course hooks)
so maybe size 12, 14 or 16 Gold ribbed hares ear, Pheasant tail nymphs, Black and peacock spiders, black pennel, Damsel nymph and Buzzers
A fry imitation of some sort for perch- Minkies are a good general pattern in a 10 or 12
Any general dry pattern depending on what you want to catch- Parachute adams, Klinkhammer (semi dry) or spider/ ant pattern in a 14 or 16, Daddy long legs in a 12

Add a G&H sedge (brown lump of floaty deer hair) if you want to target carp in a commercial fishery as that fly looks like a dog biscuit

Match the leader strength to the size of fly and species, fine 2-3lb for dries and smaller rivers and maybe 5-6lb for larger flies and species. A fly rod is much softer and more forgiving than a pike rod.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

fenland piker wrote: Tue Jul 05 2022 08:27 -

I would start with some of the general imitation patterns in smaller sizes (Fly hook sizes are different to course hooks)
so maybe size 12, 14 or 16 Gold ribbed hares ear, Pheasant tail nymphs, Black and peacock spiders, black pennel, Damsel nymph and Buzzers
A fry imitation of some sort for perch- Minkies are a good general pattern in a 10 or 12
Any general dry pattern depending on what you want to catch- Parachute adams, Klinkhammer (semi dry) or spider/ ant pattern in a 14 or 16, Daddy long legs in a 12

Add a G&H sedge (brown lump of floaty deer hair) if you want to target carp in a commercial fishery as that fly looks like a dog biscuit

Match the leader strength to the size of fly and species, fine 2-3lb for dries and smaller rivers and maybe 5-6lb for larger flies and species. A fly rod is much softer and more forgiving than a pike rod.
:thumbs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Steve Moore wrote: Sat Mar 19 2022 18:54 -
I do a bit of fly fishing for roach and Rudd in the summer.
This is a great book with loads of info,

https://dgfishing.co.uk/shop/flyfishing ... on-signed/
:thumbs:

Just ordered a copy from amazon!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Monts wrote: Tue Jul 05 2022 06:38 -

Have a look on page one Bob, there are a couple of patterns. I'm on the train into work now so can't help more at present.
Cheers Monts :thumbs:
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Dom Garnett's books going well. Ordered mine last weekend :laughs:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

GAVIN H wrote: Tue Jul 05 2022 21:04 -
Good book for an overview Gav, worth the money and read
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

It's a shame your not near me Gav, I'd take you out for the day. But Doms book will give you the basics. Casting is up to you. :grin:
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Monts wrote: Wed Jul 06 2022 10:30 -
It's a shame your not near me Gav, I'd take you out for the day. But Doms book will give you the basics. Casting is up to you. :grin:
Had a quick go on my local river the other evening. There's trout in it and then coarse fish lower down the river. I had small trout going for the dryfly but i was missing them. Definitely an art to upstream fishing. I,ve caught trout fishing down stream years back but upstream dryfly, different ballgame. You need eyes like a s***house rat for a start. I know a few spots where i think i might get a roach or two so i,ll try that. Question Monts. Do you treat the fly with floatant and also is it important to treat the leader to get an couple of inches to sink? You don't want them seeing the leader is that right?
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

I was taught to say "god save the queen" in my head before striking. Otherwise you pull the fly straight out of their mouth, half the time they tend to turn and hook themselves if you pause long enough.
Floatant on dries (gink is good) and best to keep the leader greased as otherwise it sinks and spoils presentation. Remember to degrease or replace the tippet if changing back to a nymph. With a fine enough tippet you might get away with leaving it ungreased but the visibility shouldn't be a problem in moving water
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

GAVIN H wrote: Wed Jul 06 2022 15:23 -
Had a quick go on my local river the other evening. There's trout in it and then coarse fish lower down the river. I had small trout going for the dryfly but i was missing them. Definitely an art to upstream fishing. I,ve caught trout fishing down stream years back but upstream dryfly, different ballgame. You need eyes like a s***house rat for a start. I know a few spots where i think i might get a roach or two so i,ll try that. Question Monts. Do you treat the fly with floatant and also is it important to treat the leader to get an couple of inches to sink? You don't want them seeing the leader is that right?

I'll make it quick as I'm off down the river shortly before the heat kicks in tomorrow. I fish furled leaders between 4-6ft for Trout upstream. I treat these the night before and hang them up, they float for ever. Take them off when I'm done and repeat the next time. Tippet/hook length is bog standard Maxima between 3/6lb depending on where I am, fly size. I do put a dab of Loon floatent on my fly, but never on the tippet. A good drift is a good drift.

With Chub, Dace, Roach there are so many where I'm fishing it's not really important. I'm not wading deeper than my thighs, so i cast down to them. If it's not hit within 5 secounds or so I recast, they are competing with each other and are hungry. I watch the Brook Trout vids on Youtube from the small streams, those fish are hungry too and hit anything. It's just good fun.

Casting small wets across and down is easy fishing too and will put plenty of fish on the bank. 👍🏻
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

fenland piker wrote: Wed Jul 06 2022 16:06 -
I was taught to say "god save the queen" in my head before striking. Otherwise you pull the fly straight out of their mouth, half the time they tend to turn and hook themselves if you pause long enough.
Floatant on dries (gink is good) and best to keep the leader greased as otherwise it sinks and spoils presentation. Remember to degrease or replace the tippet if changing back to a nymph. With a fine enough tippet you might get away with leaving it ungreased but the visibility shouldn't be a problem in moving water
Cheers mate.
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Monts wrote: Wed Jul 06 2022 16:13 -
GAVIN H wrote: Wed Jul 06 2022 15:23 -

I'll make it quick as I'm off down the river shortly before the heat kicks in tomorrow. I fish furled leaders between 4-6ft for Trout upstream. I treat these the night before and hang them up, they float for ever. Take them off when I'm done and repeat the next time. Tippet/hook length is bog standard Maxima between 3/6lb depending on where I am, fly size. I do put a dab of Loon floatent on my fly, but never on the tippet. A good drift is a good drift.

With Chub, Dace, Roach there are so many where I'm fishing it's not really important. I'm not wading deeper than my thighs, so i cast down to them. If it's not hit within 5 secounds or so I recast, they are competing with each other and are hungry. I watch the Brook Trout vids on Youtube from the small streams, those fish are hungry too and hit anything. It's just good fun.

Casting small wets across and down is easy fishing too and will put plenty of fish on the bank. 👍🏻
Thanks Monts, thanks for all the advice :thumbs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Received the book today. Read the first few chapters after work.

So far it's a good read!

It's also dedicated to James Holgate.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Wed Jul 06 2022 17:49 -

So far it's a good read!

It's a superbly presented book eh Bob?

All being well I'll be having my first go with another fly fishing newbie next weekend. If I could deal with the heat Id give it a go this weekend. The big rudd will be surrendering en masse in weather like this, but I'd rather it was snowing!! :sad:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 09 2022 04:45 -
Bob Watson wrote: Wed Jul 06 2022 17:49 -

So far it's a good read!

It's a superbly presented book eh Bob?

All being well I'll be having my first go with another fly fishing newbie next weekend. If I could deal with the heat Id give it a go this weekend. The big rudd will be surrendering en masse in weather like this, but I'd rather it was snowing!! :sad:
Funnily enough Chris; I've just read a bit more this morning before coming on here.

Definitely an easy book to read.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Love it ! Chub especially are good esp as you can use all sorts of US foam hopper type patterns. Done OK with roach ,rudd and dace. Bream are interesting seem to love a fry pattern.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Have you guys been having anything? Not done much owing to the heat and low levels like most I guess?

Yesterday owing to the train strikes I worked from home and had a mixed bag of small Chub, Dace and Roach.

IMG_20220818_180905_277.jpg
Nearly time for Pike and Perch though, with a few sessions after a 2lb Roach on the fly this winter, that has f****d me over the last two winters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Monts wrote: Fri Aug 19 2022 15:25 -
Have you guys been having anything? Not done much owing to the heat and low levels like most I guess?

Yesterday owing to the train strikes I worked from home and had a mixed bag of small Chub, Dace and Roach.

Nearly time for Pike and Perch though, with a few sessions after a 2lb Roach on the fly this winter, that has f****d me over the last two winters.
I haven't been out at all yet Jason. Partly because I detest this hot humid weather but mainly because the rivers and drains I like to target are on their knees. Until we get some serious precipitation I will be getting on with sh1te that needs sorting at home! :cry:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Aug 19 2022 18:13 -

I haven't been out at all yet Jason. Partly because I detest this hot humid weather but mainly because the rivers and drains I like to target are on their knees. Until we get some serious precipitation I will be getting on with sh1te that needs sorting at home! :cry:
I'm looking at decorating here Chris, seen some cracking chub on the rivers in deeper holes (fish in a barrel) but the levels are so low I cannot fish for them morally... Nice to see but need some rain badly around here.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

We have been pretty lucky, the rain this week arrived right on time. It's been very localised though. But the rivers on the whole have held up pretty well.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: Sat Aug 20 2022 08:54 -

I'm looking at decorating here Chris, seen some cracking chub on the rivers in deeper holes (fish in a barrel) but the levels are so low I cannot fish for them morally... Nice to see but need some rain badly around here.
Same here Stew. I think the fish have enough to contend with without me adding to it at the moment.

It's a buggar really because Im really looking forward to a new challenge and, hopefully, renewed vigour with the fly rod. :sad:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Monts wrote: Sat Aug 20 2022 17:12 -

We have been pretty lucky, the rain this week arrived right on time. It's been very localised though. But the rivers on the whole have held up pretty well.
We haven't had enough to dampen a tea- towel Monts! :sad:
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

How's it going Monts and the rest of you fly fishers. I,ve been trying to catch on a trout river/stream that runs through the village where I live. I,ve lived here over twenty years and never bothered with it. Too busy Piking. This river is probably thirty to forty foot wide max, three feet deep max. Little pools, glides, streams all that trout fishing type bollox. I,ve been trying upstream dryfly with no success. Not a touch and hardly a fish rising in the evening. Tried nymths fished and they keep catching on the bottom even set at about 18 inches. I have no idea about matching the hatch and all that stuff. Any ideas chaps?