What do you think of sensor in the 6 pound ?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

What do you think of sensor in the 6 pound ?

Post by Taffypiker »

0.24 diameter , pretty strong stuff ? £8.99 a bulk spool

Drennan feeder mono .......£ 9 quid for 250 yards !

I am going for 6 pound straight through for my feeder and bomb work

Surely there can't be that much difference apart from Drennan feeder mono being slightly thinner ?

If sensor is not suitable for filling up what do you suggest ?
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: What do you think of sensor in the 6 pound ?

Post by BillCollins »

Sensor is ok, but get the Tournament ST 8lb or a few quid more, far better line in every respect :thumbs:
Marcraft are for queers.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

6lb Sensor is what I have on my perch/roach/chub rods.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Sensor or ST are both better than that Drennan feeder mono, it's junk.
Marcraft are for queers.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

davelumb wrote: Sun Apr 17 2022 16:42 -
6lb Sensor is what I have on my perch/roach/chub rods.
It's cheap as chips

I like drennan stuff generally but I thought that was extortionate
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Line control is so much easier with a line of lower diameter, even when feeder fishing.
It'll cast further, with less effort and weight required, it'll sink quicker, the wind has less effect on the cast and when it's in the water the tow will also have less effect.

Sensor is has been surpassed by pretty much most of the lines on the market, its only ever recommended by people who don't try anything else.

My choice is colmic feeder pro, 8lb is 0.168 so thinner than 6lb sensor but even stronger.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Sensor is... only ever recommended by people who don't try anything else.
I have used/use other monos, but wouldn't recommend Sensor in anything heavier than 6lb.

As a cheap line it's fine. And we all know Taffy likes cheap. :wink:
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

I've been using Hyper sensor in 8lb only because i picked it up instead of the bog standard sensor seems like a good line to me having landed some right animals upto 18.5 Lbs on it. Only been snapped off on the hook lengths ( pretied hooks to 8lb line). I use it on both rod and pole.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Daniel wrote: Sun Apr 17 2022 18:26 -
Line control is so much easier with a line of lower diameter, even when feeder fishing.
It'll cast further, with less effort and weight required, it'll sink quicker, the wind has less effect on the cast and when it's in the water the tow will also have less effect.

Sensor is has been surpassed by pretty much most of the lines on the market, its only ever recommended by people who don't try anything else.

My choice is colmic feeder pro, 8lb is 0.168 so thinner than 6lb sensor but even stronger.
The Colmic lines are very good.
Sensor only got popular because it was very cheap....when the feeder took over on the Trent all the matchmeb were raving over it.
For a simple reason....they lost loads of line ....and it was cheap.
After a few sessions it went like a watch spring....absolute s***e line and is now quite expensive compared with better lines
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I've used 6lb Sensor on my general coarse reels for years and landed many double figure carp on it.

It knots well and seems pretty tough and abrasion resistant. That might be due to its relative hardness, but for it's diameter it behaves perfectly well enough.

There might be better lines out there, but not at the price.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Sensor is ok. It's tough and reliable, but not the best if you're using it for an active form of fishing with frequent casting etc as it builds up memory very quickly. It all depends on where you're fishing. I've no use for lines under 0.20 as the waters here are hard on gear and the fish are'nt worried anyway. For feeder fishing and float fishing for tench, bream etc, it's usually something around 0.23-0.25, but I suppose small waters and smart fish :wink: demand more delicate approach...
Marcraft are for queers.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

John Milford wrote: Sun Apr 17 2022 19:56 -
I've used 6lb Sensor on my general coarse reels for years and landed many double figure carp on it.

It knots well and seems pretty tough and abrasion resistant. That might be due to its relative hardness, but for it's diameter it behaves perfectly well enough.

It should be tough and abrasion resistant given that it breaks at about 8lb and has a diameter only slightly less than the anchor rope on my boat!
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

:laughs:
Daniel wrote: Sun Apr 17 2022 20:19 -

It should be tough and abrasion resistant given that it breaks at about 8lb and has a diameter only slightly less than the anchor rope on my boat!
:grin:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Daniel wrote: Sun Apr 17 2022 20:19 -

So the 4 pound should be about 6 pound then and OK for feeder work
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

There is next to no advantage in using light, low-diameter reel lines for feeder fishing. 0.24mm mono (whatever its stated B.S.) will have little adverse effect on casting distance.

If you need a finer presentation, simply use a lighter hooklink.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

I like sensor for coarse fishing, I use 8lb for feeder fishing :thumbs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

BillCollins wrote: Sun Apr 17 2022 16:57 -
I've just bought a couple of spools to replace the sensor on a couple of reels. How bad is it Bill, should I bother finding out?
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 14:29 -
I've just bought a couple of spools to replace the sensor on a couple of reels. How bad is it Bill, should I bother finding out?
I used it in 8lb Bob and took it off after a few outings. It does'nt do any of what it says on the tin, not for me anyway. Sensor is better.
Marcraft are for queers.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

BillCollins wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 14:34 -
I used it in 8lb Bob and took it off after a few outings. It does'nt do any of what it says on the tin, not for me anyway. Sensor is better.
Is it the feeder and method mono you're on about?
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

The light brown stuff ?
Marcraft are for queers.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Yep!

I'll try it, it'll probably end up as backing!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 12:47 -
There is next to no advantage in using light, low-diameter reel lines for feeder fishing. 0.24mm mono (whatever its stated B.S.) will have little adverse effect on casting distance.

If you need a finer presentation, simply use a lighter hooklink.
:thumbs:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

I thought it very pricey for 250 yards

I mean if it was a good fast sinking line and had low diameter for its poundage etc then fair enough
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Taffypiker wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 16:43 -

I mean if it was a good fast sinking line and had low diameter for its poundage etc then fair enough
It's an expensive way to buy line. I have a few bulk spools of the ST in different b/s, I keep them in a biscuit tin, it lasts for years if kept in the dark.
Marcraft are for queers.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

BillCollins wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 18:31 -

It's an expensive way to buy line. I have a few bulk spools of the ST in different b/s, I keep them in a biscuit tin, it lasts for years if kept in the dark.
I honestly think in the waters round here , which always have colour that the difference in diameter between 6 pound sensor and some expensive line is minimal

If a perch isn't put off by a wire trace when it's hungry then I am sure tench , bream , roach etc are not put off by 6 pound mono when it's feeding time
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Taffypiker wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 21:17 -

I honestly think in the waters round here , which always have colour that the difference in diameter between 6 pound sensor and some expensive line is minimal

If a perch isn't put off by a wire trace when it's hungry then I am sure tench , bream , roach etc are not put off by 6 pound mono when it's feeding time
Fish can see line, no matter what the diameter or colour. It does'nt automatically follow that they know what it is. Diameter will have an effect on how a small bait behaves, enough maybe to reduce the chance of bites. Is it because the fish are wary ?... or just that lots of other similar food items are behaving in the same way and the odd one out just does'nt manage to get sucked in or picked up by fish which are feeding in a very precise manner.?. The field of bait presentation is a can of worms....
Marcraft are for queers.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

BillCollins wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 23:01 -
Taffypiker wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 21:17 -

Fish can see line, no matter what the diameter or colour. It does'nt automatically follow that they know what it is. Diameter will have an effect on how a small bait behaves, enough maybe to reduce the chance of bites. Is it because the fish are wary ?... or just that lots of other similar food items are behaving in the same way and the odd one out just does'nt manage to get sucked in or picked up by fish which are feeding in a very precise manner.?. The field of bait presentation is a can of worms....
If strange things in the water frightened fish they wouldnt ever be out of a state of panic Bill. Bottles beer tins plastic crap sweet wrappers etc dont panic them. Neither do shiny leads.
Why? Because they are inanimate just like sticks, weed and anything else on the bottom.
Fish can see fluro...so can we as underwater "dust" settles on it.
Some carp chap did tests and filmed carp responses to brightly painted leads...no response. Fishing lines....unless they bumped into them no response....the ones they could see easily they went under or over, fluro lines just cast out spooked the s**t out of them if they bumped into them.(how they go on at night :shrug: )
Fishing on the Trent I rarely drop below 12lb on the feeder....doesnt affect my catch rate one bit.
As you say though Bill presentation AT TIMES is king.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

I've found sensor very wirey and springy, and it soon keeps its memory ie comes off the spool like a coil of wire. I tried it but don't like it.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.