How much stuff do you take fishing ?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

How much stuff do you take fishing ?

Post by Taffypiker »

I went for an evening stroll around a club water the other day .

Of course it's a free country and people can do what they want but some of the people fishing were surrounded by stuff . Baits by the bagful being the prime example.

I carry a 30 litre drennan rucksack , 2 rods in a pre rigged holdall 2 reels , landing net and chair ......fox eos 2

In the rucksack I have a small abu bits box

I bait box of sweetcorn mixed with luncheon meat as that's the only hookbait I use

I maggot baitbox of groundbait ready mixed as that's plenty for a session with a small feeder

Phone , bottle water , 3 mars bars if I get hungry , towel

That's it I think
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Re: How much stuff do you take fishing ?

Post by Daniel »

Depends what I'm doing and where I'm fishing.
Today I took my match fishing kit to a club lake.

I fished a method feeder to the far bank for an hour for carp, bream and tench.
It dried up as it usually does, so I swapped to the pole at 13m targeting skimmers and hoping for a bonus fish or two.
While doing that I was keeping an eye out looking for cruising carp and casting a pellet waggler to them, that resulted in seven fish.
The last couple of hours was spent fishing the margins for big carp, I caught nine plus three tench.

Two days ago I was sat on a chair with a waggler rod and a couple of pints of casters fishing for roach and rudd, all the spare tackle fitted in an empty bait tub.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

I try to plan and take as little as possible. Trouble is there's always something you'll need that you hadn't packed so you tend to take too much "just to in case"
It amuses me the amount of pouches carp anglers have these days for just about everything! Soon they'll be pouches to put your pouches in! 🀣
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mike F wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 09:11 -
I try to plan and take as little as possible. Trouble is there's always something you'll need that you hadn't packed so you tend to take too much "just to in case"
It amuses me the amount of pouches carp anglers have these days for just about everything! Soon they'll be pouches to put your pouches in! 🀣
This one guy on the pond had enough bait to open a shop . It's only a farm pond and heavy baiting in a place like this is daft in my humble opinion . Boilies , hemp , corn , maggots , casters , worms , pellets , loads of gro7ndbait
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Usually it`s just my small 20l molle rucksack in the pic below, 2 rods and net strapped together, and a bucket of various baits. If I take a chair it goes in the rucksack too :wink: :cool:

Fished with someone last year who took so much gear for a short overnighter, it took him 6hrs to set everything up....couldn`t be chewed with that....
IMG_20210924_101724.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mark_Houghton wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 10:56 -
Usually it`s just my small 20l molle rucksack in the pic below, 2 rods and net strapped together, and a bucket of various baits. If I take a chair it goes in the rucksack too :wink: :cool:

Fished with someone last year who took so much gear for a short overnighter, it took him 6hrs to set everything up....couldn`t be chewed with that....

IMG_20210924_101724.jpg
Nice rucksack , where did you get that ?

I have to bring a chair , I can't sit on a seat box 😫
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

As little as possible!
I like roving with lures - usually just rod, net and loaded waistcoat.
Peter Newman
bio-haul
Roach
Roach

Post by bio-haul »

peteren wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 11:37 -
As little as possible!
I like roving with lures - usually just rod, net and loaded waistcoat.
Ditto
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 11:27 -

IMG_20210924_101724.jpg

Loads on ebay, in all colours. Not very expensive either. Just search for "molle rucksack" . I`ve had this one for about 12yrs and it`s still going strong :thumbs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

For a day session, if it doesn't fit in my 20l rucksack it doesn't go.

Two rods in a quiver or rod band if they're not made up, light chair. My bait bucket now fits in my rucksack after a few mods to my gear.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mark_Houghton wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 12:19 -
Taffypiker wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 11:27 -

IMG_20210924_101724.jpg

Loads on ebay, in all colours. Not very expensive either. Just search for "molle rucksack" . I`ve had this one for about 12yrs and it`s still going strong :thumbs:
Thank you
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 15:39 -

Two rods in a quiver or rod band if they're not made up, light chair. My bait bucket now fits in my rucksack after a few mods to my gear.
My groundbait for a days feeder fishing on the stillwaters .....20 g drennan grip feeder ......is a mix in a 2 pint maggibox . That's it .
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 17:17 -

My groundbait for a days feeder fishing on the stillwaters .....20 g drennan grip feeder ......is a mix in a 2 pint maggibox . That's it .

It it works for you that's great.
I fished a match on a commercial last week and got through 3 pints of 2mm pellets in five hours, not to mention 2 pints of hemp and 2 tins of meat!
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Like many up here, depends on the fishing type. Generally speaking, I like a hike to get away from people (nothing to do with bad habits :pipe: ) ...that means one or two small lure bags and that is it! :cool:

In fact, recently I have been having a similar approach to all but camping/carp fishing! Just so nice to be light...I find I fish more productively, how does the saying go? Location, location, location :thumbs:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Daniel wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 18:27 -

I fished a match on a commercial last week and got through 3 pints of 2mm pellets in five hours, not to mention 2 pints of hemp and 2 tins of meat!
Do you think if you didn't have all that you would have not figured ? πŸ€”
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 21:06 -
Daniel wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 18:27 -

Do you think if you didn't have all that you would have not figured ? πŸ€”
I won my section with 137lb and came fourth in the match, not too shabby as I'm just getting back into it.
The catch was mainly carp in the 1-2lb range on the feeder and 60lb of 4-6lb carp on hemp and meat.

All the pellets went in via a method feeder, casting every 90 seconds or so gets through a lot of bait.
The hemp and meat went in on pole lines at 5m straight in front of me and a margin swim on either side of me and I didn't start feeding it until the last couple of hours.

In heavily stocked commercials, getting the feeding right and picking the right method at the right time makes the difference between catching a few fish and absolutely bagging up.
The consistent guys who frame the most weeks are usually doing the same as everyone else, they just make the right choice at the right time more often.

All match anglers carry a lot of bait, you're there to win and you can't do that if you don't have the right bait with you and enough of it to last five hours.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

For a winters day - one rod, small insulated bag, net over shoulder, end rigs pack in one pocket, phone and keys and choc bar in the other.
Lifejacket if the rivers up.

Summers day - chair, food&drink, ledger rod, float rod, net, sticks all in a quiver. End tackle all in an old camera bag.
Depending on the location add camera and binoculars

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

as little as is possible!
for both my Predator and any summer fishing, little as i can get away with, mobility is #1 i hate carting tons of stuff around, prepare, plan and go, no need for half the crap people carry.
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

I try to take as little as possible and keep it compact as i usually walk a few miles (don't like sitting in one spot all day and love the exercise). Got an old wychwood bag I use for most freshwater/coarse fishing. If I've extra bait, nets or banksticks to carry it goes in my korum mat which goes over my other shoulder. I never use rod bags.
Mmmmmmmm yes
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i have a korum quiver bag very small , got it from cash converters a fiver like new ,enough room for brolly 2 speci rods bank sticks and a float rod .
the chairs the problem carrying it , small holdall with bait and tackle .....still seems to much gear ,feel like a pack horse sometimes.....or am i getting old
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Wed Apr 27 2022 21:35 -
i have a korum quiver bag very small , got it from cash converters a fiver like new ,enough room for brolly 2 speci rods bank sticks and a float rod .
the chairs the problem carrying it , small holdall with bait and tackle .....still seems to much gear ,feel like a pack horse sometimes.....or am i getting old
Old
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Wed Apr 27 2022 22:26 -
stubbojo wrote: ↑Wed Apr 27 2022 21:35 -
Old
bugger :thumbs:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

I just take what I need and often leave stuff back in the car (out of site) if I'm not sure if I might need it - like extra bait, clothing, etc. I do a lot of carp fishing through the warmer months and will admit that the barrow is often needed, especially when taking a lot of bait and fishing for bigger fish. Makes a nice change when the pike fishing comes around, as then you can get away with a lot less gear, as it is much simpler fishing. Horses for courses, but if you want a good laugh, see what the other carp anglers I see take with them, not at all unusual to see people making two or even three barrow trips and that's often guys doing just a day session! The latest craze on a water I fish, two bivvies - one to sleep in, one to cook/eat or in one gentleman's case, to watch movies and s**t in. Madness. They spend most of their time setting up and packing up, they catch flip all as well and wonder why people like me catch the fish. Glorified camping is what they do, still, if they're enjoying themselves, good luck to them...
Piking Plonker