Maggots?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Kev Berry

Re: Maggots?

Post by Kev Berry »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Mon Jun 27 2022 16:54 -
Kev Berry wrote: ↑Mon Jun 27 2022 14:52 -
Bob Watson wrote: ↑Mon Jun 27 2022 13:00 -
Too much water and they'll turn into floaters.
You need enough for them to have a drink.
2 pints in 4 gallon of maggots and just a bit of filthy water left at most. If they suck any air in it dont last long
Some maggot breeders used to finish their maggots off on fish to give them a drink and make them bigger...too expensive now though.
I was once fishing the stick on a local river and couldn't buy a bite on my usual (for the time of year) tactics. Half an hour or so into the session I noticed maggots coming through my swim on and just below the surface, my mate was fishing the next peg up and hiss maggots were floating, I threw some of mine in the margins and mine were too, I never noticed them at catapult range.

I shallowed right up with the shortest float in my box and bagged up on big chub.

Next time in old Frankie Flynns tackle shop I told him the maggots he sold us last week were floaters, he told us he'd had a flood/leak just before we bought them :roll:
Usually float cos they not been cleaned off properly and have fat on them.
If he had had a flood or leak it must have been good un to get in the bait fridge....even better they didnt get out....I bet the lazy git didnt clean em off 🀣

I had a fridge go down with 15 gallon in....most got out of the fridge. Managed to get old Henry out and vaccumed only 12 gallon up :afraid:
Two weeks later the windows were black :laughs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Mon Jun 27 2022 19:39 -
Bob Watson wrote: ↑Mon Jun 27 2022 16:54 -
Kev Berry wrote: ↑Mon Jun 27 2022 14:52 -
Bob Watson wrote: ↑Mon Jun 27 2022 13:00 -
Too much water and they'll turn into floaters.
You need enough for them to have a drink.
2 pints in 4 gallon of maggots and just a bit of filthy water left at most. If they suck any air in it dont last long
Some maggot breeders used to finish their maggots off on fish to give them a drink and make them bigger...too expensive now though.
I was once fishing the stick on a local river and couldn't buy a bite on my usual (for the time of year) tactics. Half an hour or so into the session I noticed maggots coming through my swim on and just below the surface, my mate was fishing the next peg up and hiss maggots were floating, I threw some of mine in the margins and mine were too, I never noticed them at catapult range.

I shallowed right up with the shortest float in my box and bagged up on big chub.

Next time in old Frankie Flynns tackle shop I told him the maggots he sold us last week were floaters, he told us he'd had a flood/leak just before we bought them :roll:
Usually float cos they not been cleaned off properly and have fat on them.
If he had had a flood or leak it must have been good un to get in the bait fridge....even better they didnt get out....I bet the lazy git didnt clean em off 🀣

I had a fridge go down with 15 gallon in....most got out of the fridge. Managed to get old Henry out and vaccumed only 12 gallon up :afraid:
Two weeks later the windows were black :laughs:
Back in my match fishing days I'd use an escape proof bait box with a couple of mm of water in it and a few maggots. Apparently the maggots take on air as they can sense they're going to drown or something like that. We'd use these as slow sinking hookbaits (an 18-20 ish hook would sink them) when feeder fishing and the number of bites you got in the few seconds after the feeder hit bottom was surprising, especially from golden orfe in the winter.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

years back in my teens , i left a box of maggots on my tackle box , you know the rest .....anyway got up one sunny day and the back of the house was black with bluebottles ..
my mother came out to see what all the buzzing was on her windows .... i blagged it and said they are all meeting up then they would all migrate to Africa i told her it was a very rare occurrence only happens every ten years.......she dint have a scuby......
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I once spilt a pint of maggots in my dad's car. I wasn't very popular a week later when bluebottles started spewing out of the vents...