Oh how things have changed

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Oh how things have changed

Post by Mike F »

I was at a loose end the other day so i thought id pop down to the local carp syndicate that i pike fish during the winter and have a look. Bloody hell, the lake was like a cross between the Spanish armada and the port of Felixstowe such was the amount of bait boats chugging back and forward! One guy was stood at what looked like a rostrum with a PC screen on it and a remote control for his baitboat that would shame some model aircraft flyers! Wouldn't surprise me if the bloody thing had depth charges!
And the shear amount of gear the carp anglers were packing was incredible. Most of them needed a transit to get it all in! Izzak walton would would think he'd landed on a different planet if he were to come back! :laughs:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Oh how things have changed

Post by John Milford »

It's the same on my main water too Mike.

There is even a sort of 'Bait Boat Highway Code' in the club rules!

Its not too bad in the week, but is packed with overnighters at the weekends. It must be a sight with all those pretty 'navigation lights' illuminating the place like Blackpool in the dark!

(The VW Transporter is the van of choice it seems. The car park looks like a VW dealership forecourt! I wouldn't be in the least surprised if it was mostly carp anglers who are pushing the secondhand price of them through the roof!).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Nothings changed apparently! :roll:
Pike Anglers are still a grumpy bunch of old men who lurk on the banks in winter, complaining and criticising every one who doesn’t fish for pike or tench whilst using tackle that’s not been cleaned since the day it was purchased because that’s how THEY like it. :laughs:

Not me I fish for Carp & Pike ✨ :cool:

The difference is carp anglers are a social lot.
They like to have the latest must haves.
Some of these must haves are game changers but like you say they are all doing the same. That’s when those that think out the box catch more by not following the sheeple. :wink:
“Fish amongst them but not with them” they’ll soon turn into pike anglers when you start out fishing them! :suspect:

Pike anglers could more be sociable,but most try their best to repel others at all costs :giggle:
Andy Carpenter
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Not a complaint mate, just an observation 🙂
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Cyprio wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 11:02 -
Pike Anglers are still a grumpy bunch of old men who lurk on the banks in winter, complaining and criticising every one who doesn’t fish for pike or tench whilst using tackle that’s not been cleaned since the day it was purchased because that’s how THEY like it. :laughs:

Some of these must haves are game changers but like you say they are all doing the same. That’s when those that think out the box catch more by not following the sheeple. :wink:
“Fish amongst them but not with them” they’ll soon turn into pike anglers when you start out fishing them! :suspect:

Pike anglers could more be sociable,but most try their best to repel others at all costs :giggle:

I think most pikers are sociable, just not when piking, purely because they know pike are very fragile and want to protect them.

Carpers on the other hand will happily tell you there's a clear spot at 60 yards on your left if you line up with the big oak on the far bank, fish a snowman rig with a red boilie and a white one on top.
Size 4 hook, 6.28" hooklength and you can't go wrong!
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Mike F wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 12:52 -
Not a complaint mate, just an observation 🙂
Mine too. The carpers on my water are a pretty agreeable bunch.

They have their own FB page and it's all good, positive stuff and banter.

Considering the value of most carp gear, people who find stuff others have accidentally left behind generally post it on the page to be claimed by the owner. Nice to see in this day and age.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

They do the same on this syndicate John. Even cheap little things like rod bands, bankstick screws, but also very expensive items like alarms, and pods. Its quite refreshing to see such honesty. :thumbs:
muncherpike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by muncherpike »

That wouldn't happen on one of the waters I fish, near some s**t hole called Milton Keynes, the stuff would be straight round to one of them boot sales!!
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Mike F wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 09:13 -
I was at a loose end the other day so i thought id pop down to the local carp syndicate that i pike fish during the winter and have a look. Bloody hell, the lake was like a cross between the Spanish armada and the port of Felixstowe such was the amount of bait boats chugging back and forward! One guy was stood at what looked like a rostrum with a PC screen on it and a remote control for his baitboat that would shame some model aircraft flyers! Wouldn't surprise me if the bloody thing had depth charges!
And the shear amount of gear the carp anglers were packing was incredible. Most of them needed a transit to get it all in! Izzak walton would would think he'd landed on a different planet if he were to come back! :laughs:
Thought Carp anglers were through and through ‘brand snobs’ love the pikey image the Transit brings :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

muncherpike wrote: Fri Jul 01 2022 20:58 -
That wouldn't happen on one of the waters I fish, near some s**t hole called Milton Keynes, the stuff would be straight round to one of them boot sales!!
I knew MK when it was just fields. Might be what you call it I don't know as I left long ago but one thing you certainly do have is some v decent pike fishing. With the advent of remote bite alarms the potential must be even better these days :exit:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sat Jul 02 2022 08:31 -
Mike F wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 09:13 -
Thought Carp anglers were through and through ‘brand snobs’ love the pikey image the Transit brings :laughs:
:laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Cyprio wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 11:02 -

down our way the pikers are a friendly lot maybe there not much to hide regarding huge pike , but the carping guys wont tell you fook all here in Cheshire thats only my opinion
maybe its just down here , there are a few carpers that will have a chat but its mostly s***e about certain waters .......which i have been fishing for donkeys years...... :laughs: :thumbs: