Sunray fly lines

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Sunray fly lines

Post by Stewlaws »

Any comments on the Sunray lines.... online comments are positive against use/price, currently under a promo so was going to pick up a few, my only gripe is I don't always trust promoted feedback as it is cherry picked!

TIA
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Sunray fly lines

Post by Mike J »

Are you after something that is cheap (£5) and cheerful or a line to work a few seasons with?
If the former go ahead and risk it, if the latter I would always advise a well known brand as you get backup if something goes wrong eg; I bought a 444 Cortland online saving a tenner, but it wasn't quite right so I sent the bar code to Cortland, turned out the line was nearly ten years old so I got a full refund.
If you want a cheapo in 7/8 I have a few spares and you can have one for nothing.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

My Greys extreme 8wt floater is coming to the end of it's life. I get on very well with it but found it impossible to replace. I have one of the Sunray lines tucked away for replacement when it finally gives up totally. The Sunray appears similar and I am hoping it will do the same job. I also bought it on promotion so will not hurt much if it doesn't. Not at all sure about the red colour though.
Michael Bruton
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 10:37 -
Are you after something that is cheap (£5) and cheerful or a line to work a few seasons with?
If the former go ahead and risk it, if the latter I would always advise a well known brand as you get backup if something goes wrong eg; I bought a 444 Cortland online saving a tenner, but it wasn't quite right so I sent the bar code to Cortland, turned out the line was nearly ten years old so I got a full refund.
If you want a cheapo in 7/8 I have a few spares and you can have one for nothing.

Was after a 4wt Mike (( had a 4 wt 7ft rod made by Peregrine rods for my brook fishing) the Sunray lines seem to get good reviews and the video footage is pretty impressive of shooting out a full line .... the promo takes it down to 29.99 from £44 so not overly expensive if it isn't up to hype, only picking up for Rudd and some Roach fishing on the canal way. As Fossil Fish indicated though it is in red, not sure that will harm the fishing tbh.

Thanks for the offer of line... I already have several reeels loaded with 8/9 wt for piking.

Stew
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Stewlaws wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 14:13 -
Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 10:37 -

Was after a 4wt Mike (( had a 4 wt 7ft rod made by Peregrine rods for my brook fishing) the Sunray lines seem to get good reviews and the video footage is pretty impressive of shooting out a full line .... the promo takes it down to 29.99 from £44 so not overly expensive if it isn't up to hype, only picking up for Rudd and some Roach fishing on the canal way. As Fossil Fish indicated though it is in red, not sure that will harm the fishing tbh.

Thanks for the offer of line... I already have several reeels loaded with 8/9 wt for piking.

Stew
Steve, the one I have is obviously a short head, front loaded taper, hence the ability for distance. Definitely not the kind of line I would want with a 4wt. I would be thinking of something with a much more gentle presentation. You can't really expect distance with a 7' 4wt. I would be thinking something like a double taper mill end. Cut it in half and you keep one end as new.
Michael Bruton
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Not got a good write up from what I’ve seen, poor customer service and the lines not lasting long either
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

MarkBerrisford wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 17:11 -
Not got a good write up from what I’ve seen, poor customer service and the lines not lasting long either
That is why I question promoted products Mark, they can be loaded in favour, shall regoogle for reviews.

Any recommendations for a good 4 wt, that will not get a great deal of use but additionally don't want to be rebuying 12months down the line.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Stewlaws wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 17:24 -
That is why I question promoted products Mark, they can be loaded in favour, shall regoogle for reviews.

Any recommendations for a good 4 wt, that will not get a great deal of use but additionally don't want to be rebuying 12months down the line.

Maxcatch Gold WF4 Stew available from Amazon, they are a chinese copy of the Rio Gold, I've got a few and they will see you fine.

I prefer my Cortlands to be honest, but if your not going to use it often the Maxcatch will be good for you.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Monts wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 17:52 -

Maxcatch Gold WF4 Stew available from Amazon, they are a chinese copy of the Rio Gold, I've got a few and they will see you fine.

I prefer my Cortlands to be honest, but if your not going to use it often the Maxcatch will be good for you.
I actually have one of these in a 4wt and it is excellent for the money.
Michael Bruton
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

fossil-fish wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 18:01 -
Monts wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 17:52 -

I actually have one of these in a 4wt and it is excellent for the money.

As you say for the money they are worth it, I've got a 3,4,5,6 in the WF. Also have two of there Salt Water lines in a 9 for my Pike fishing, very aggressive front taper on that line which shoots out. I prefer it over a Vision Big Mamma line I have.

But fly lines are very subjective.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Bought a 4 wt and a 5wt to try in WF ... reading the reviews seems ideal for what i need, thank you chaps