Bit of shore angling question?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Bit of shore angling question?

Post by Roger5 »

Hi there, I'm a long time angler, but have never really been involved with sea angling, I've got plenty of rods and reels etc for my main passions, pike and cats mainly, but not wanting to get sea water near my stuff, looking for suggestions on reasonable rods and reels ( not multipliers, been there done that ) for fun mainly, nothing to serious, any ideas appreciated, cheers Rog
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Re: Bit of shore angling question?

Post by Bob Watson »

Carp rods are fine for clear ground/beach fishing and arguably sometimes even better for bite detection than the usual pokers we use. You can even use lighter gear as and when conditions allow.

Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/penn-ra ... i-surf-rod

I have the 15ft ones, ok for the money
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

Cheers for the info Bob and Alan, shame Angling Directs stuff appears to be out of stock, will probably wind up using some old sportex ( Bought from Olivers years ago ) pike rods, heavy old glass rods, whipped up by me and an old girlfriend, she done the cork handles ( she was always good with her hands ) 🤣
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Hello Roger, I do a wee bit sea fishing and use my spod rod, just change the spool on the reel and I filled it with some cheap bright yellow braid of eBay and put a shock leader on :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Where are you based?
I have a bundle of sea rods you can take your pick from if your near me. PM reply please.

For a cheapo carp rods look no further than cash converters, the shops near me always have a good few for around 60/pair.

No matter which reel you use it will need washing after use, I have Saltigas and they always get washed even when I was out every day.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 11 2022 12:50 -
Where are you based?
I have a bundle of sea rods you can take your pick from if your near me. PM reply please.

For a cheapo carp rods look no further than cash converters, the shops near me always have a good few for around 60/pair.

No matter which reel you use it will need washing after use, I have Saltigas and they always get washed even when I was out every day.

some lads here using 12ft carp rods catching rays off a rock mark on lugworms and a 2oz sinker ...what do i know .... :laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Roger5 wrote: Sun Jul 10 2022 13:19 -
Hi there, I'm a long time angler, but have never really been involved with sea angling, I've got plenty of rods and reels etc for my main passions, pike and cats mainly, but not wanting to get sea water near my stuff, looking for suggestions on reasonable rods and reels ( not multipliers, been there done that ) for fun mainly, nothing to serious, any ideas appreciated, cheers Rog
have a look around some car boot sales l picked up an abu beachcaster for 3 quid ,dont need one but it was mint condition
he wanted 7 quid at first but bartered it down luvvit that bartering ...... reminds me of that monty python sketch in the life of brian .... :laughs: when at car boots
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Jul 11 2022 16:08 -
Roger5 wrote: Sun Jul 10 2022 13:19 -
have a look around some car boot sales l picked up an abu beachcaster for 3 quid ,dont need one but it was mint condition
he wanted 7 quid at first but bartered it down luvvit that bartering ...... reminds me of that monty python sketch in the life of brian .... :laughs: when at car boots

I got a cracking net at a carboot.
Its an old Hardy with a flip frame and has a two piece handle that screws together and doubles as a wading staff, best part is the spike in the end that allows me to stick it in the rocks, sand or shingle so no bending or leaving it behind, just needed to replace the cord mesh.
Cant remember what I paid but it wouldn't have been much, Im to stingy.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

at the moment theres a staggering amount of fishing tackle knocking about at car boots for pennies too.....
and a few gems to be found if you know what your looking for....