TUNA

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

TUNA

Post by jeff smith »

AED0873D-E3AF-48B2-B554-079C598CF142.jpeg
For the past few weeks, I’ve been privileged to be crewing a charter boat running out of Fowey, Cornwall as part of the CHART catch and release tagging programme for Atlantic bluefin tuna, run by CEFAS …. that’s the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science to you and me.
We’re one of 25 licenced boats operating in England( Wales has a similar , smaller scheme)
Just over half way through the programme( licences run until mid December) and the boats have tagged more tuna than the whole of last year.
Our boat has seen over 40 tagged, with the busiest day experiencing 10 hits and 7 brought alongside-the biggest being circa 450lb on the tape.
We’re permitted to troll with artificial lures or dead baits and this entails running a spread of surface lures so ,the takes are often seen, which is a spectacular sight itself.
30lb IGFA class rated stand- up equipment is used ( this bears absolutely no resemblance to UK ratings)and,anglers usually get fish alongside in under 30 minutes- well within the constraints of the scheme.
I started seeing BFT in Cornwall ten years ago from my own boat whilst shark fishing but, would never have expected the numbers we’re seeing now. It’s extremely exciting having what many consider to be world class game fishing in our own domestic waters.
Let’s hope that we look after this phenomenon.
Anyone been out and had a tussle with one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: TUNA

Post by Dave Horton »

jeff smith wrote: Fri Oct 21 2022 14:43 -
For the past few weeks, I’ve been privileged to be crewing a charter boat running out of Fowey, Cornwall as part of the CHART catch and release tagging programme for Atlantic bluefin tuna, sanctioned by DEFRA.
We’re one of 25 licenced boats operating in England( Wales has a similar , smaller scheme)
Just over half way through the programme( licences run until mid December) and the boats have tagged more tuna than the whole of last year.
Our boat has seen over 40 tagged, with the busiest day experiencing 10 hits and 7 brought alongside-the biggest being circa 450lb on the tape.
We’re permitted to troll with artificial lures or dead baits and this entails running a spread of surface lures so ,the takes are often seen, which is a spectacular sight itself.
30lb IGFA class rated stand- up equipment is used ( this bears absolutely no resemblance to UK ratings)and,anglers usually get fish alongside in under 30 minutes- well within the constraints of the scheme.
I started seeing BFT in Cornwall ten years ago from my own boat whilst shark fishing but, would never have expected the numbers we’re seeing now. It’s extremely exciting having what many consider to be world class game fishing in our own domestic waters.
VERY COOL JEFF! I've been loosely following this for a few years now through the Irish lads I went Sharking with a few years back when it was VERY hush hush and of course more recently Andy Alsop of White Water fame!

(BIG Game fishing on our doorstep face)
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

Dave Horton wrote: Fri Oct 21 2022 16:18 -
For the past few weeks, I’ve been privileged to be crewing a charter boat running out of Fowey, Cornwall as part of the CHART catch and release tagging programme for Atlantic bluefin tuna, sanctioned by DEFRA.
VERY COOL JEFF! I've been loosely following this for a few years now through the Irish lads I went Sharking with a few years back when it was VERY hush hush and of course more recently Andy Alsop of White Water fame!

Andrew’s one of the Welsh lads on their scheme I believe Dave and, he’s had a whopper or two👍
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

I went last year off the coast of Donegal. Few of the lads I know had a very successful trip previously. We never caught anything that day unfortunately. The lads had one after 10 minutes the following day (go figure)

Looking forward to going again tho. Seing them jumping and crashing, coming up behind the lure is quite the spectacle.
Marvin Farrell
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Wow that’s fantastic.What an experience that would be to catch a Tuna!
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

Antony wrote: Fri Oct 21 2022 17:13 -
Wow that’s fantastic.What an experience that would be to catch a Tuna!
Most of the anglers I’ve met so far have said just that Anthony; ‘It’s ‘an experience’ and I might do it just the once’. Strangely, despite the expense, once they’ve tangled with one, they want to book another trip.😂
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

the guy on the fishlocker you tube catches them single handed on his own small boat , he has been into them for years ....
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

A mate of mine that I travel with on piking adventures fishes every summer for them off the north coast of Denmark. He also has a boat in Croatia for the same reason. Another mate who is showing me the ropes wreck fishing also takes part in the research fishing out of the north of Denmark each summer. It's not something that has really appealed to me... yet.
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Bet its an awesome experience hooking one of those beasts.
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Enjoy Jeff :grin:

Just be aware they can grow much much bigger eg; 1000kg (gutted) was caught in the Barbate tuna trap.

:handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

jeff smith wrote: Fri Oct 21 2022 17:07 -

Andrew’s one of the Welsh lads on their scheme I believe Dave and, he’s had a whopper or two👍
A recent 600 pounder springs to mind!

As an aside you sound to be keeping very active mate?

(We must all aim to draw the pension for as long as we paid into it face)
frankcarty
Roach
Roach

Post by frankcarty »

I have been out three times off the north west coast of Ireland, twice with Adrian Molloy. Adrian gets booked up well in advance, I was able to jump on to cancellations at very short notice. Their numbers are increasing, its fantastic to see. Its hard to explain their power, I've landed two (estimated weight 370lb & 600lb), both from the chair. I'd love to give the stand up gear a go, although I would need to hit the gym before I could even consider it!
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

Dave Horton wrote: Mon Oct 24 2022 12:05 -

Yes, very busy Dave. Fishing, cycling, Grandkids and now this part time gig which is harder work than I’ve ever done in my life😂
My old man also served. At 88 years old , he often reminds me that he’s ‘quids in’ having been drawing his pension for 37 years😂😂
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

jeff smith wrote: Mon Oct 24 2022 17:47 -
Dave Horton wrote: Mon Oct 24 2022 12:05 -

Yes, very busy Dave. Fishing, cycling, Grandkids and now this part time gig which is harder work than I’ve ever done in my life😂
My old man also served. At 88 years old , he often reminds me that he’s ‘quids in’ having been drawing his pension for 37 years😂😂
Oh mate we sound to have VERY similar lives at present let's hope we can match the pension draw your father has!

(Please pass on my best respects face)
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

frankcarty wrote: Mon Oct 24 2022 13:42 -
I have been out three times off the north west coast of Ireland, twice with Adrian Molloy. Adrian gets booked up well in advance, I was able to jump on to cancellations at very short notice. Their numbers are increasing, its fantastic to see. Its hard to explain their power, I've landed two (estimated weight 370lb & 600lb), both from the chair. I'd love to give the stand up gear a go, although I would need to hit the gym before I could even consider it!
Mostly down to technique Frank - it’s all in the legs😂
I’ll admit, fitness helps- we had a keen cyclist on board and he made it look easy but, we’ve had an 11 year old lad, a young lady ( albeit very experienced with big game fish)
BAA80684-BE86-44E5-BD6E-EB3DF2FCCC29.jpeg
and a 78 year ( young) on board who all successfully brought tuna alongside without ‘suffering’.
My job , once the angler is on the rod, is to get a grip on the harness. This is mostly to steady them rather than stop them going over the side😂😂😂 which is highly unlikely.
3DF24CFC-C9D7-46F9-9C07-5381235A2629.jpeg
The first tuna always seems to be the most difficult, probably because you don’t know what to expect…… after that…. It’s easy😉😉😉 Most anglers say that they enjoy playing their 2nd, and 3rd fish a lot more- and I agree with that.
After all, it’s only an overgrown mackerel😂😂😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

jeff smith wrote: Mon Oct 24 2022 18:41 -
I’ll admit, fitness helps- we had a keen cyclist on board and he made it look easy but, we’ve had an 11 year old lad, a young lady ( albeit very experienced with big game fish)BAA80684-BE86-44E5-BD6E-EB3DF2FCCC29.jpegand a 78 year ( young) on board who all successfully brought tuna alongside without ‘suffering’.
My job , once the angler is on the rod, is to get a grip on the harness. This is mostly to steady them rather than stop them going over the side😂😂😂 which is highly unlikely.3DF24CFC-C9D7-46F9-9C07-5381235A2629.jpeg
The first tuna always seems to be the most difficult, probably because you don’t know what to expect…… after that…. It’s easy😉😉😉 Most anglers say that they enjoy playing their 2nd, and 3rd fish a lot more- and I agree with that.

If your really serious about standing up to a bluefin I have an outfit made just for that purpose.
100lb class stick, AFTCO ball bearing rollers, AFTCO short bent butt, Lefthand wind Tiagra loaded with 1200m of 135lb Izorline.
With a Black Magic and right technique it will put up to 60lbs of drag on a fish.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Was visiting family in Cornwall a lot over Aug and September and we could see the tuna busting from the coastal path along the cliffs..... Amazing site but the local guy running bass lure charters said they have wiped out the off shore bass fishing and its only inshore marks worth visiting with customers!!
Love the hit!
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

Mike J wrote: Fri Nov 04 2022 09:24 -
I’ll admit, fitness helps- we had a keen cyclist on board and he made it look easy but, we’ve had an 11 year old lad, a young lady ( albeit very experienced with big game fish)BAA80684-BE86-44E5-BD6E-EB3DF2FCCC29.jpegand a 78 year ( young) on board who all successfully brought tuna alongside without ‘suffering’.
My job , once the angler is on the rod, is to get a grip on the harness. This is mostly to steady them rather than stop them going over the side😂😂😂 which is highly unlikely.3DF24CFC-C9D7-46F9-9C07-5381235A2629.jpeg

If your really serious about standing up to a bluefin I have an outfit made just for that purpose.
100lb class stick, AFTCO ball bearing rollers, AFTCO short bent butt, Lefthand wind Tiagra loaded with 1200m of 135lb Izorline.
With a Black Magic and right technique it will put up to 60lbs of drag on a fish.

Appreciate the offer Mike but, we’re sorted on the kit and it’s working very well.
Agree on the ‘Black Magic’ harness. I use one myself and have found it excellent.
The recent strong winds have seen us tied up to the dock and, with just over a month of the season to run, the clock is ticking.🤞
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

jeff smith wrote: Sat Nov 05 2022 21:06 -
Mike J wrote: Fri Nov 04 2022 09:24 -

Appreciate the offer Mike but, we’re sorted on the kit and it’s working very well.
Agree on the ‘Black Magic’ harness. I use one myself and have found it excellent.
The recent strong winds have seen us tied up to the dock and, with just over a month of the season to run, the clock is ticking.🤞

The offer wasn't to the boat, it was just for you. Businesses make sufficient to source their own gear.

Crispy
Perch
Perch

Post by Crispy »

Oh s**t
EE6DF946-759D-4F3E-9D72-BE99D66C3C12.jpeg
Pete Crisp

It’s a good day to have a good day!
www.tascplastics.com
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Great subject, angling and work done by all :thumbs: but its not for me, the reason I say that is that a few years ago I had a 227lb big eye tuna and if the rod hadn't been attached to the boat, I would have lost it.
I like angling where you may have to give a bit of side strain or even choose to backwind :laughs: not with these feckers!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Wed Nov 23 2022 18:12 -
Great subject, angling and work done by all :thumbs: but its not for me, the reason I say that is that a few years ago I had a 227lb big eye tuna and if the rod hadn't been attached to the boat, I would have lost it.
I like angling where you may have to give a bit of side strain or even choose to backwind :laughs: not with these feckers!

Cheers, Alan
Get what you’re saying Alan and , you’re right, it’s not for everyone….. although we’re getting quite a few repeat bookings from ‘first timers’.
Fitness does come into it when playing these fish on stand - up equipment but ,good technique goes along way.
I’m just off to Cornwall for what might be the last trips of the season. We’ve been hampered no end by this constant run of ‘lows’ and associated strong winds but we should be able to get a couple more bookings done this week.
We’re getting very close to 50 tuna tagged so - hopefully we’ll achieve that.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

jeff smith wrote: Thu Nov 24 2022 15:01 -

Cheers, Alan
Get what you’re saying Alan and , you’re right, it’s not for everyone….. although we’re getting quite a few repeat bookings from ‘first timers’.
Fitness does come into it when playing these fish on stand - up equipment but ,good technique goes along way.
I’m just off to Cornwall for what might be the last trips of the season. We’ve been hampered no end by this constant run of ‘lows’ and associated strong winds but we should be able to get a couple more bookings done this week.
I would guess that bait fish numbers must be very high, what do they tend to predate upon?

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

Herring in the main
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Nov 25 2022 07:56 -
jeff smith wrote: Thu Nov 24 2022 15:01 -

Cheers, Alan
I would guess that bait fish numbers must be very high, what do they tend to predate upon?

Cheers, Alan
Pretty much any baitfish that are about Alan…. Mackerel, sardine, herring……….we’ve caught the odd one trailing a trawler that was throwing discards overboard.
Ready made ground bait 😂😂😂
ouchthathurt
Roach
Roach

Post by ouchthathurt »

Are tuna common off the UK coastline? One washed up dead on my local beach at Pett Level, between Hastings and Rye in East Sussex recently, I didn’t think they’d come this far up channel?
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

ouchthathurt wrote: Fri Nov 25 2022 16:52 -
Are tuna common off the UK coastline? One washed up dead on my local beach at Pett Level, between Hastings and Rye in East Sussex recently, I didn’t think they’d come this far up channel?
In the South-west- very much so and we’re seeing more, and more each year. They also seem to be creeping a bit further East, but not in such great numbers.
Odd sightings are made from my home port of Littlehampton but, I’ve yet to see one myself,and understand they’re quite rare- certainly not enough to realistically target…………………….yet😉
Tough day out there today in relatively rough conditions. The strong winds have apparently broken up and spread out the bait shoals. We did see the odd tuna but nothing like we’ve experienced earlier in the season and a distinct lack of bird activity to give away their presence.
We were heading for a blank when , right at last knockings a 67incher ( quite small) hit the bar closest to the boat ( 30ft) to save the day, and send the customers home smiling.
The winds are back up to 40 knots tomorrow so, that could quite possibly be my last trip of the season.
Bob Barker
Perch
Perch

Post by Bob Barker »

ouchthathurt wrote: Fri Nov 25 2022 16:52 -
:smile:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big-game_ ... carborough

https://www.talkseafishing.co.uk/britis ... istory-of/

https://marinescience.blog.gov.uk/2018/ ... sive-year/
BluefinScarborough1933.jpg
:smile: :thumbs:
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Silly question.

How sustainable is fishing for Tuna off the South West coast? I've seen another video pop up on Instagram yesterday, from a few weeks back. I'm assuming there is only a finite amount of these fish and will over fishing cause problems in the future.

I know very little about the species, migration or numbers. Hence I'm asking.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

Monts wrote: Wed Dec 14 2022 13:01 -
Silly question.

How sustainable is fishing for Tuna off the South West coast? I've seen another video pop up on Instagram yesterday, from a few weeks back. I'm assuming there is only a finite amount of these fish and will over fishing cause problems in the future.

I know very little about the species, migration or numbers. Hence I'm asking.

It's all c&r with a no take policy regulated by licence, only a limited amount of boats are currently licenced to fish for them