Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: TUNA

Post by Monts »

Brian Carragher wrote: Wed Dec 14 2022 14:14 -
Monts wrote: Wed Dec 14 2022 13:01 -
Silly question.

How sustainable is fishing for Tuna off the South West coast? I've seen another video pop up on Instagram yesterday, from a few weeks back. I'm assuming there is only a finite amount of these fish and will over fishing cause problems in the future.

I know very little about the species, migration or numbers. Hence I'm asking.

It's all c&r with a no take policy regulated by licence, only a limited amount of boats are currently licenced to fish for them

:thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

2023 C.H.A.R.T scheme has been given approval to go ahead so we’re back in the game.
49tagged on our boat last year and I’ve said I’ll crew again this time. ‘Is this wise’ I’m asking myself😂😂😂😂
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

jeff smith wrote: Wed Jul 05 2023 17:09 -
2023 C.H.A.R.T scheme has been given approval to go ahead so we’re back in the game.
49tagged on our boat last year and I’ve said I’ll crew again this time. ‘Is this wise’ I’m asking myself😂😂😂😂
Good stuff Jeff I'd consider a trip myself I think?

How fully booked are you (not after any favours)?

(And where do I look please face)
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

Dave Horton wrote: Wed Jul 05 2023 18:37 -

PM for you Dave👍I’m not sure it’s appropriate to advertise on here and, I don’t wanna get banned 😂😂😂
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

jeff smith wrote: Wed Jul 05 2023 18:57 -
Dave Horton wrote: Wed Jul 05 2023 18:37 -

PM for you Dave👍I’m not sure it’s appropriate to advertise on here and, I don’t wanna get banned 😂😂😂
Woops!

(It's ok I'll tell Ben you wanted to borrow the candle face) :perv:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Sat Nov 05 2022 17:47 -
Was visiting family in Cornwall a lot over Aug and September and we could see the tuna busting from the coastal path along the cliffs..... Amazing site but the local guy running bass lure charters said they have wiped out the off shore bass fishing and its only inshore marks worth visiting with customers!!
the sardine is making a bit off a comeback........ thats why the tuna are returning slowly
cant see why it would effect the bass...
steve
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

I see they are now being fished for commercially in a fairly small way.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Report on the tuna fishery on Farming Today - second item in. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001t38m
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bucket-list-f ... 36223.html

I hope that some form of respect/ restraint is shown and we don't kick the b******s out of the species. Humanity has form though for screwing up almost all we touch.
Last edited by Monts on Fri Feb 09 2024 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

For those buying local Cornish bluefin from the fishmonger, it costs around £20-£50 for a steak.
:roll:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Fri Feb 09 2024 10:22 -
For those buying local Cornish bluefin from the fishmonger, it costs around £20-£50 for a steak.
Rick Steins a c**t 🤣
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Fri Feb 09 2024 10:23 -
Rick Steins a c**t 🤣
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Monts wrote: Fri Feb 09 2024 10:23 -
Rick Steins a c**t 🤣
:thumbs: plus one!
Dave R
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave R »

I’ve just seen this thread. I’m lucky to have done a fair bit of BFT fishing in Donegal. I’ve caught 19 Bluefin, biggest estimated at 600lb. Most were on my own standup gear and rigs. Using hire/chair gear somehow doesn’t appeal to me. I highly recommend the experience. We’re lucky to have some of the best big game fishing in the world on our doorstep at the moment. Let’s hope it lasts. BFT are in totally different league to sharks and - obviously - anything in fresh water.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Brian Carragher wrote: Wed Dec 14 2022 14:14 -
Monts wrote: Wed Dec 14 2022 13:01 -
Silly question.

How sustainable is fishing for Tuna off the South West coast? I've seen another video pop up on Instagram yesterday, from a few weeks back. I'm assuming there is only a finite amount of these fish and will over fishing cause problems in the future.

I know very little about the species, migration or numbers. Hence I'm asking.

It's all c&r with a no take policy regulated by licence, only a limited amount of boats are currently licenced to fish for them
but that wont stop people fishing for them on the quite .......and i believe there are a few ....
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

Correct, there are a number of you tube videos already up where anglers "accidentally " catch tuna whilst fishing for shark including one previously mentioned on this thread where the boat is supposed to be fishing at anchor for shark but quite clearly isn't when he hooks up with a couple of fish

There's others too but that still doesn't negate the need to regulate and license boats in an experimental way before a proper c&r fishery is established
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

it amazes me as soon as the tuna are slowly coming back .....we are on em...... same goes for the herrings they will start hammering them soon if they try to make a come back

read somewhere there spawning in there old areas they used to spawn think it was Scotland........the herrings

steve
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Herring are back here in the North East and in there traditional spawning grounds and that's the areas where the great Britain tunny club used to fish

Although the club was based in Scarborough most of their fishing was done off skinningrove Bay and that's where a lot of Herring are showing again

A lot of big fish movements off there are attributed to dolphins 🐬 but not all of them are, the big fish are back and some brave soul will connect with one pretty soon I reckon
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Feb 10 2024 12:54 -
it amazes me as soon as the tuna are slowly coming back .....we are on em...... same goes for the herrings they will start hammering them soon if they try to make a come back

read somewhere there spawning in there old areas they used to spawn think it was Scotland........the herrings

steve
The other side to the coin Steve ... is the damage these Tuna 'shoals' are doing to the fish stocks at sea :eek:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Alex Fox wrote: Sun Feb 11 2024 14:11 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Feb 10 2024 12:54 -

steve
The other side to the coin Steve ... is the damage these Tuna 'shoals' are doing to the fish stocks at sea :eek:
think we f****d the sardine trade up by over fishing , plenty about years back and tuna too , and the fishing was better back then going back in history

think the tuna get preoccupied on the shoal fish tbh , sardines ...........big bass will love the return of the silvers....caught a few on sardines when you can catch em ....