SURF RODS/BEACHCASTERS

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

SURF RODS/BEACHCASTERS

Post by gus666 »

What's the difference between these? I know a beachcaster tends to be about 12' and used with a multiplier, but seeing surf rods that are on average 14-15' and used with fixed spool reels.
If I bought one type (I'm thinking surf rod here) would that negate the need for the other? :scratch:
Sea fishing is something I don't do but thinking about doing. At the same time I don't want to spend a lot of money if I can avoid that.
Thanks guys!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: SURF RODS/BEACHCASTERS

Post by Mike J »

Depends what species your after, where you plan to fish, and importantly how.

Eg; My target species is bass, fishing from a sand shingle beach and holding the rod to feel the bites. For that I use an 11ft DLST P2, fixed spool reel, pennel rig and plain 2-3oz on a running ledger. Bait is whole squid which I can cast to the 60m l need.
The P2 is the same rod(s) I use for all my pike fishing and with titanium guides there isn't any worry about sea water corrosion.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

Mike J wrote: Tue Mar 07 2023 08:57 -

Eg; My target species is bass, fishing from a sand shingle beach and holding the rod to feel the bites. For that I use an 11ft DLST P2, fixed spool reel, pennel rig and plain 2-3oz on a running ledger. Bait is whole squid which I can cast to the 60m l need.
The P2 is the same rod(s) I use for all my pike fishing and with titanium guides there isn't any worry about sea water corrosion.

Well I've got one of those too Mike. And what you described is almost identical to what I'm intending, right down to the bait! I didn't know you could feel for the bites though. Is that the only bite indication you could use, could you use a bobbin type indication if you put the rod in a tripod?
I'm thinking that a 15ft surf rod could get you out further if required, but other than that no great advantage to getting one if I've got a P2?
Sorry for all the questions, but I looked online last night and ended up more confused than when I started!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

gus666 wrote: Tue Mar 07 2023 10:19 -
Mike J wrote: Tue Mar 07 2023 08:57 -

Well I've got one of those too Mike. And what you described is almost identical to what I'm intending, right down to the bait! I didn't know you could feel for the bites though. Is that the only bite indication you could use, could you use a bobbin type indication if you put the rod in a tripod?
I'm thinking that a 15ft surf rod could get you out further if required, but other than that no great advantage to getting one if I've got a P2?
Sorry for all the questions, but I looked online last night and ended up more confused than when I started!

Yes you can feel the bite but only if you use braid. But if you want loads of gear to carry and a stiff neck in the following morning a tripod is the way to go.
You cont need distance most fish will be within 30m of the waters edge.

I hold the rod in both hands, the angle is dictated by the wind, spool open finger on the line, first a gentle tap to which I lower the rod and a few secs its usually away, give a bit of line and wind into it. The tip of the P2 is brilliant for bite indication and if you get into something larger the butt has all the backup required.
Fish as if your touch ledgering for chub and you wont go wrong.

Check the new Bass regs if you wish to take a fish away.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Different names for the same thing! UK style beach rods are typically 12' long and pretty stiff, 2 piece with a longer tip and designed for multipliers and leads of 5-6 oz. The longer 3 piece rods are often referred to as continental or match rods. They are generally lighter and more through actioned and intended for lighter leads a fixed spool reel and small baits.
As Mike points out you don't need special rods if the fish are not a long way out. The locations and species you intend to target will determine what you need. Bobbins are generally not suitable do to wind and current and the need to keep the line out of the water. Hold the rod and feel for bites or use a sand spike and watch the rod top.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Look into where you intend to fish, some of the estuaries I fish you struggle to hold bottom with a 6oz breakaway on certain tides so a “proper” beach rod would be better in these circumstances.
I don’t do a great deal of sea fishing, mainly in the summer months, I’ve got a set of Penn Rampage 2 13ft 4-6oz surf rod, pair with a couple of penn 8000 surfblasters. Relatively inexpensive and if you look after them ( rinse and clean in warm fresh water after each trip) have lasted me a good few years now and still work and look as new.
I use these for everything, Skate, Cod, Bass, Smoothies. If I want to specifically fish a rod for bass, I take a shorter carpy type rod with a 6000 reel, fit it to the legs of my tripod (yes Mike I use one :red: ) with a 2-3oz lead and let it roll about in the tide close in with a squid or big bunch or rag on the hook. Works well if they’re there.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Thanks for the replies gents, very interesting and it seems that my flirtation with the salty fishing might not cost as much as I thought!
If I was to use braid on my reels, would the usual brands be OK? Power Pro, Berkley etc?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

gus666 wrote: Tue Mar 07 2023 21:39 -
Thanks for the replies gents, very interesting and it seems that my flirtation with the salty fishing might not cost as much as I thought!
If I was to use braid on my reels, would the usual brands be OK? Power Pro, Berkley etc?
I use Daiwa J braid in 50lb.
I never use gripper leads but like Joe I let any water movement take the bait where it wants. You'd think it would be moved into a snag but I never lost any end tackle last season and only one the previous.

Watched a girl using her boyfriends spare rod chuck the bait about two rod lengths out into really shallow water, he told her he would recast it when his distance rods were settled in the tripod :thumbs: but she wouldn't let him touch it. In less than 30min. she caught a lovely bass, he blanked. As Joe says IF they are there.
Last edited by Mike J on Thu Mar 09 2023 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Wed Mar 08 2023 12:44 -
I never use gripper leads but like Joe I let any water movement take the bait where it wants. You'd think it would be moved into a snag but I ever lost any end tackle last season and only one the previous.

Watched a girl using her boyfriends spare rod chuck the bait about two rod lengths out into really shallow water, he told her he would recast it when his distance rods were settled in the tripod :thumbs: but she wouldn't let him touch it. In less than 30min. she caught a lovely bass, he blanked. As Joe says IF they are there.
bass are closer than you think and in a foot of water at times , catching some nice fish on live prawn about 3 rods out on a rock mark , the depth was about 15ft average
going to try a fly this season on a nice calm day .......
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

I never use gripper leads but like Joe I let any water movement take the bait where it wants. You'd think it would be moved into a snag but I ever lost any end tackle last season and only one the previous.

Thanks, great advice as always Mike!
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Mar 08 2023 19:25 -

bass are closer than you think and in a foot of water at times , catching some nice fish on live prawn about 3 rods out on a rock mark , the depth was about 15ft average
This is my mission this year, bass on the fly from the yak !
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Wed Mar 08 2023 20:45 -
stubbojo wrote: Wed Mar 08 2023 19:25 -

This is my mission this year, bass on the fly from the yak !
Keep us updated if you do mate!