Tench season

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
jlawsonvet
Stickleback
Stickleback

Tench season

Post by jlawsonvet »

Perhaps a bit early, but planning to have my first go for the tench on a new pit this weekend, just standard maggot feeders on two rods, one heli rig and the other inline. Hoping to set about a proper tench campaign this year. Anyone's tench season got going yet, and if so how are you getting on?

Cheers,

Jack
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Tench season

Post by stubbojo »

my local tench venue has been on fire since February tench to doubles .....according to a club member who targets them .....
one guy had over 20 fish ...... :thumbs:

steve
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Started three weeks ago.
I'm not catching monsters, the venue doesn't hold them, but I'm getting 20-30 tench up to 4lb in six hour sessions on the pole fishing worm over red maggot and green lipped muscle groundbait.

I've had the odd fish on a method feeder using 2mm pellets and a hair rigged 6mm pineapple wafter but naturals is the way to go on most venues this early in the year.
Once the temperature stops dropping into single figures overnight, pellet will be king.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Daniel wrote: Wed Apr 12 2023 17:42 -
Started three weeks ago.
I'm not catching monsters, the venue doesn't hold them, but I'm getting 20-30 tench up to 4lb in six hour sessions on the pole fishing worm over red maggot and green lipped muscle groundbait.

I've had the odd fish on a method feeder using 2mm pellets and a hair rigged 6mm pineapple wafter but naturals is the way to go on most venues this early in the year.
Once the temperature stops dropping into single figures overnight, pellet will be king.
good going there Daniel ..... we have them to 11lb plus

steve :thumbs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Apr 12 2023 17:59 -
Started three weeks ago.

I have syndicate venue with tench into double figures, but sitting there all weekend hoping for one fish isn't for me.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Daniel wrote: Wed Apr 12 2023 18:47 -
stubbojo wrote: Wed Apr 12 2023 17:59 -
Started three weeks ago.

I have syndicate venue with tench into double figures, but sitting there all weekend hoping for one fish isn't for me.
same here , one club venue has some huge tench in it , but rarely seen on the bank .......keep having a go at it , but only short sessions
ChrisR2010
Roach
Roach

Post by ChrisR2010 »

Starting on Saturday, maggots and worms on order to be delivered tomorrow. In line maggot and helicopter worm kebab style.
Never expect too much on 1st session but will just be good to get back out on the bank after a short break since putting the pike rods away.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

My young lad and I are off to a nearby commercial set up with a pool reputed to hold some Tench in it tomorrow.

We'll definitely catch but most likely the 2 - 8lb Carp which proliferate in the venue, I haven't had a Tench from it yet in half a dozen trips.

Love Tench, really nice fish! Hopefully this summer, I'll manage the weekend in the Fens after them that I've been promising myself for years. :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
jlawsonvet
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jlawsonvet »

Well, was out today on the pit and just had roach and small perch, but no tench, to the maggot feeders. Got a couple of the regulars wander round and recommend a switch to hair rigged prawns, which I might give a go next time.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Just prepped my bait for the morning.
I'm going to be fishing a little lake I've not fished for at least a decade.
It used to hold a good head of tench and I'm hoping there's still some in there.
They never went very big, probably averaging the 2.5lb mark with an occasional 5lb fish.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

A tough morning.
I managed seven tench, but all small males, nothing over 2lb.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Woke up around my way, just back from a mega session, had thirty fish , only up to 4lb odd but all on the float and great sport😎 worms were the killer bait, had a couple on pellet and corn too
ChrisR2010
Roach
Roach

Post by ChrisR2010 »

suffolk si wrote: Wed Apr 26 2023 20:28 -
Woke up around my way, just back from a mega session, had thirty fish , only up to 4lb odd but all on the float and great sport😎 worms were the killer bait, had a couple on pellet and corn too
It's strange if swimfeedering or ledgering a 4lb tench would be a ' nuisance ' to me but if caught on the float it wouldn't. The method is so much a more an enjoyable experience. It's something that I don't do enough and really need to as there is no better way.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

tench ,worms , floats ........best way to enjoy tench fishing by miles , fish in the margins too there not far away usually under the rod tip

steve
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

On the centrepin too👍😎
ChrisR2010
Roach
Roach

Post by ChrisR2010 »

suffolk si wrote: Sat May 06 2023 14:27 -
On the centrepin too👍😎
Just gets better :thumbs: Not used one for far too long.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

My tench season got off to a flier yesterday. Two new rods christened on my first session at a new water. :thumbs:

With the two smallest tench I've caught in 40 years! :laughs:

Feisty though they are I can't get enthused about catching two pound tench these days.
DSC_3038.jpg
I've seen photos of bigger from the place, although I'm unconvinced the 'six pounders' saw the inside of a weighsling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

davelumb wrote: Mon May 08 2023 09:02 -
My tench season got off to a flier yesterday. Two new rods christened on my first session at a new water. :thumbs:

Feisty though they are I can't get enthused about catching two pound tench these days.

DSC_3038.jpg

I've seen photos of bigger from the place, although I'm unconvinced the 'six pounders' saw the inside of a weighsling.
On the float Dave?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

suffolk si wrote: Mon May 08 2023 09:26 -

DSC_3038.jpg

On the float Dave?
Don't be silly. I only float fish to catch bait! :laughs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I popped out to a little pond I'd been told about before the rain got here this morning.
I had a dozen tench to about 6lb but the star of the show today was this lovely 2.8lb crucian.
I don't fish for crucians much, there's not too many venues around with pure stock, but this place may be worth putting a bit of time in to.
IMG_20230508_102254059_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Daniel wrote: Mon May 08 2023 12:40 -
I popped out to a little pond I'd been told about before the rain got here this morning.
I had a dozen tench to about 6lb but the star of the show today was this lovely 2.8lb crucian.
I don't fish for crucians much, there's not too many venues around with pure stock, but this place may be worth putting a bit of time in to.

:thumbs:

I'll swap you my two 2lb tench for that crucian! :laughs:
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

davelumb wrote: Mon May 08 2023 09:48 -
suffolk si wrote: Mon May 08 2023 09:26 -

DSC_3038.jpg

On the float Dave?
Don't be silly. I only float fish to catch bait! :laughs:
:boing:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

davelumb wrote: Mon May 08 2023 12:45 -

It may be the biggest crucian in the lake, but I think it's worth a few sessions to find out.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Daniel wrote: Mon May 08 2023 14:57 -
davelumb wrote: Mon May 08 2023 12:45 -

It may be the biggest crucian in the lake, but I think it's worth a few sessions to find out.
If you can select for the crucians it has to be worth a try. :thumbs:
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

DSC_3038.jpg

He’s a wee barrel Dave!! :laughs:
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Lovely fish that Daniel :thumbs:
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

suffolk si wrote: Sat May 06 2023 14:27 -
On the centrepin too👍😎
Ditto.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

What cracking fish :thumbs:

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.