River records.

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

River records.

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Talking with a mate the subject of river records came up, specifically those of tench and bream. The river near us has done tench to just under 8.6 and bream to just under 10 and we wondered what were their respective river records?

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
squimp
Roach
Roach

Re: River records.

Post by squimp »

River records interest me too.

I’ve just found an unofficial list for the Thames and it is miles out.

Regarding tench and bream; the B Avon produced an 11lb tench a while back and the Thames holds monster bream.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

squimp wrote: Tue May 30 2023 10:02 -

Regarding tench and bream; the B Avon produced an 11lb tench a while back and the Thames holds monster bream.
An 11lb river tench is some fish for sure and I wonder what do the Thames bream go to, 15 possibly?

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Jun 02 2023 08:29 -

An 11lb river tench is some fish for sure and I wonder what do the Thames bream go to, 15 possibly?

Cheers, Alan

When we used to fish the Thames for Barbel seriously around 15 years ago, big Bream were ten a penny. We weighed the odd one at first as they were a novelty, very low doubles. 15lb fish would not surprise me at all.

We ended up fishing large single baits to avoid them. If we piled in bait via a feeder, like we did on other large rivers you couldn't escape them.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Monts wrote: Fri Jun 02 2023 10:26 -

Cheers, Alan

When we used to fish the Thames for Barbel seriously around 15 years ago, big Bream were ten a penny. We weighed the odd one at first as they were a novelty, very low doubles. 15lb fish would not surprise me at all.

We ended up fishing large single baits to avoid them. If we piled in bait via a feeder, like we did on other large rivers you couldn't escape them.
When there are bream about in numbers, putting lots of bait in is often a mistake if you dont want them.
When bream are doubles or bigger Im not sure there is a bait big enough to put them off unless you are into hand rolling 50mm baits. :eek:

Cheers, Alan
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Jun 02 2023 11:18 -

Cheers, Alan

When there are bream about in numbers, putting lots of bait in is often a mistake if you dont want them.
When bream are doubles or bigger Im not sure there is a bait big enough to put them off unless you are into hand rolling 50mm baits. :eek:

Cheers, Alan

Boiled baits large, or as other lads did who were in the BCC at the time, three 21 mil pellets on a hair.

We did try boiled baits, flattened into a disc etc.It's all some time back now and I don't miss sitting out at night after Barbel.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
squimp
Roach
Roach

Post by squimp »

My mate uses 45-50mm baits on the river and he still catches a few bream. The takes are quite funny, twitch twitch twitch until eventually one gets the hook.

We don’t bait heavily and we still catch them at certain times of year.

Having spend ages fishing for Stillwater bream, it is quite ironic to catch fish nearly as big as bycatch when barbel/carp fishing on the river…..
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Monts wrote: Fri Jun 02 2023 11:32 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Jun 02 2023 11:18 -

Cheers, Alan

Cheers, Alan

Boiled baits large, or as other lads did who were in the BCC at the time, three 21 mil pellets on a hair.

We did try boiled baits, flattened into a disc etc.It's all some time back now and I don't miss sitting out at night after Barbel.
I dont miss the nights out either particularly winter ones but I do miss some of the friend I made, like the big bearded one!
Cheers, Alan