Fly patterns

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Fly patterns

Post by GAVIN H »

Question for Monts and any other fly fishers. Does it really make a huge difference what fly you use for trout and coarse fish? Do you have to match the hatch.
Any answers much appreciated.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Fly patterns

Post by Monts »

Christ that's a question, Trout yes than can drive you made at times in a good way. But you could do worse than have an Adam's in size 18,16 and 14 as it's pretty much a generic pattern. Or a jingler and maybe a sedge pattern again in the three sizes.

Recently we had plenty of Sedges coming off and they wanted that in a size 12. It has been much slower this season than the last on my local river.

Coarse fish being more of a shoal fish are not as fussy. You can't go wrong swinging a spider pattern down and across IMO for silvers and Chub.

If they are taking on the top a size 18 Griffiths Nat or an F Fly in the same size for Roach and Dace. Chub on a Chernobyl Ant etc.

What are you struggling with?
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Monts wrote: Wed Jun 28 2023 17:54 -
Christ that's a question, Trout yes than can drive you made at times in a good way. But you could do worse than have an Adam's in size 18,16 and 14 as it's pretty much a generic pattern. Or a jingler and maybe a sedge pattern again in the three sizes.

Recently we had plenty of Sedges coming off and they wanted that in a size 12.

Coarse fish being more of a shoal fish are not as fussy. You can't go wrong swinging a spider pattern down and across IMO for silvers and Chub.

If they are taking on the top a size 18 Griffiths Nat or an F Fly in the same size for Roach and Dace. Chub on a Chernobyl Ant etc.

What are you struggling with?
I'm fishing a very small spate trout stream. There are supposed to still be good trout in it despite agricultural pollution. Its shallow, 3- 4 ft on average with deeper pools. What would you do Monts,? Down stream wets, nymphs, dry fly? Trouble is this river is so narrow and shallow I think the trout can't see you before you cast a fly.
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Do you tie your own fly's or buy them Monts?
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

I'm using 3 pound fluorocarbon leader. Is that about right?
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Have you just sat and watched, to see if fish are rising. Eventually they give themselves away, it could take a while but I enjoy that.

You could fish a streamer in the first instance through the deeper pools, a Wooly Bugger or Black Leach should get you some action. A little like Pike, with a lure of fly. They may not be hungry but you can annoy them enough to strike, they can be very territorial and are easy that way.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

GAVIN H wrote: Wed Jun 28 2023 18:05 -
I'm using 3 pound fluorocarbon leader. Is that about right?

I use bog standard Maxima mate in white, 3/4/6 lb depending on the weed etc.

Streamers go with the 6lb.
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Thanks Monts, appreciate your advice. I'm going out later to cast a fly and take my mind of the cricket :thumbs:
Johnnylonewolf
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Johnnylonewolf »

Small dark flies fished wet, down and across, or upstream dry. A lot depends on wind strength and direction on the day, and where you can cast from. Trout dont seem too spooked by gentle wading if it is shallow enough.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Maybe add a wet black pennel and a haresear nymph.
I've found a size 16 cochy bondhu very effective for silvers.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

With the hot weather I've been playing on the local canal/canalised river for coarse fish.
Much of it sight fishing to fish with floating line & a short - around 6' ish leader.
Fairly narrow so I've dug out an old 7' cane brook fly rod which I haven't used for decades & it's perfect.
Small dark flies - dry & wet. Size 18 or 20 for small roach & chublets.

Wasps & larger perch will have a go at shrimp patterns & shiny nymphs which I normally use for reservoir trout & are on 12s &14s. Gold beads on hare's ear & diawl bachs help to sink quickly.

Tied all my own for years & it's fun to tie up a couple & see if they work.

Picked up some small shad type lures at the show at Ryton last year (Lurefest?) which are under an inch & used on a 1 gram jighead or a gold bead on a bare hook cast easily & the perch love them with a rod tip twitch as well as a figure of eight retrieve.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

GAVIN H wrote: Wed Jun 28 2023 18:17 -
Thanks Monts, appreciate your advice. I'm going out later to cast a fly and take my mind of the cricket :thumbs:
Catch owt?
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I agree with .Monts on trout they can be very fussy in terms of size n colour. Coarse fish less so.

If I've learned anything in small waters it's a careful approach from downstream and upstream casts. Mostly I use a commercial 9ft tapered nylon leader in 4lb and add on extra tippet when it gets short.

I tie ny own fly -like lure collecting it can be a rabbit hole. Generally I use dry fly where I can or wets if needed. Favourites for chub are a deer hair G&H sedge and any form of grasshopper pattern - for roach/dace Iike a small size 18 pheasant tail - tip i can recommend s is tie the PT on a short tipper form thr back of a garish Czech nymph - shoal roach are curious and will follow the Czech and take the PT!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

GAVIN H wrote: Wed Jun 28 2023 17:37 -
Question for Monts and any other fly fishers. Does it really make a huge difference what fly you use for trout and coarse fish? Do you have to match the hatch.
Any answers much appreciated.

Does it make a difference, yes to the income of the tackle shops!

Look no further than the catches at the one fly championships, one guide was so good they banned him.

Various sizes of gold-brass head nymph and Grey Wulff and a pair of sharp scissors for trimming if its too big, and keep the hook sharp!

And No you cannot have a peek at my fly boxes :grin:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

You only have to have a look in the shop at any of the big trout reservoirs.
Huge quantities of flies for sale.
Many of the patterns very similar within the categories.
They will all catch fishermen.
Sometimes one will catch a fish.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Agree I tend to use pretty drab natural patterns most of the time PT nyphm , gold rib hares ear, PT klinkhammer etc thr problem us as a tier I make loads......