Sea bass lures, rod and reel recommendations

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Sea bass lures, rod and reel recommendations

Post by Alan_dalton »

Went out this weekend and saw some very big sea bass when making my way back from makeral fishing. Lost one. but that was it. Really shallow clear water. After some recommendations for shallow lures and and new rod and reel combo. Had a look on veals and they do some deals that look fairly decent.

https://www.veals.co.uk/product/penn-pu ... 8-ml-3000/
paintman
Perch
Perch

Re: Sea bass lures, rod and reel recommendations

Post by paintman »

Anything that looks like a sandeel.

Floating & shallow diving slim plugs

Shads rigged on weighted single jig hooks cast & retrieve fine - as do the weighted sandeels by westin, redgill etc. The upward single hook makes retrieving through weed much easier as they tend not to catch up.
With the Shads for very shallow just use the lighter weighted jig hooks.

Much of my bassing is close in & casting towards the shore & rocky areas - esp round the Manacles area - so shallow is the norm.

60lb power pro green straight through to a clip & the lure goes on the clip. If I do get caught up then I usually get it all back & just need to straighten & resharpen the hook. Doesn't take much of a hook bend to release the stuck lure.
If you're happier with a mono or fluorocarbon trace between braid & lure then go for it.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

paintman wrote: Mon Jul 10 2023 07:57 -
Anything that looks like a sandeel.

Floating & shallow diving slim plugs

Shads rigged on weighted single jig hooks cast & retrieve fine - as do the weighted sandeels by westin, redgill etc. The upward single hook makes retrieving through weed much easier as they tend not to catch up.
With the Shads for very shallow just use the lighter weighted jig hooks.

Much of my bassing is close in & casting towards the shore & rocky areas - esp round the Manacles area - so shallow is the norm.

60lb power pro green straight through to a clip & the lure goes on the clip. If I do get caught up then I usually get it all back & just need to straighten & resharpen the hook. Doesn't take much of a hook bend to release the stuck lure.
If you're happier with a mono or fluorocarbon trace between braid & lure then go for it.
:thumbs:
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

I'm no bass angler but I did catch a bass 30 years ago on a toby :grin:
Timothy edwards
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Not a lure, but if you can drift over the ground you could consider freelining frozen sandeels - unless you can get live ones of course.
Same rod & braid but this time I use a fluorocarbon trace.
2 single hooks tied as a pennel type rig.
Bottom hook through the sandeel near the vent & the top one knotless knotted to hook through the skull.
No added weight.
Pay out line until it's the distance you want from the boat.
Takes tend to be hard hits.
Might try circles this summer & see what the hookup rate is like.

Will cast if you're careful & not too enthusiastic as they're soft. I'm using fixed spool reels, I think a multiplier might need a bit too much power although TBH I've never tried & might be proved wrong.

Bubble float/inline carp surface controller float if you want greater distance & to do a gentle retrieve.
Only problem is that everything takes them & you can go through a pack or two in short order!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Alan_dalton wrote: Sun Jul 09 2023 19:18 -
Went out this weekend and saw some very big sea bass when making my way back from makeral fishing. Lost one. but that was it. Really shallow clear water. After some recommendations for shallow lures and and new rod and reel combo. Had a look on veals and they do some deals that look fairly decent.

https://www.veals.co.uk/product/penn-pu ... 8-ml-3000/

Big ie; 15+
Do not use a soft rod as big bass can fight really hard especially if there is any current available. I use a P2 and 40lb braid with a mono leader, 3oz lead, Flouro hooklength and a b big bait, with that I can get 80yds plus.
FYI The 20+ from Portsmouth Naval Base coughed up a +1lb Pout when it was landed.

Non UK, I have seen two 20's caught on a 14cm rubber lure, in the UK a +16 on a shad, but a big (+1lb) livey is a much better option. 6/0 circle thro the nostrils, as long a hooklength as manageable and hold the rod at all times.
If you must use a lure Id suggest a Guffer Slayer on a BKK Titan 6/0.

If your successful please do not kill the fish, such large bass can be as much as 30years old and are the bedrock of the future generations.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

live mackerell or live sandeel under a float , or a big mackerel type lure , delta do some good lures
easy to catch if you can see them ......