the dangers of rock fishing

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

the dangers of rock fishing

Post by stubbojo »

just heard the sad news a young lad got swept of my favourite rock mark on Saturday, dont know the full details yet
there has been a full team here coastguards helicopters 24 hours around the clock , heard its a 16 year old lad very sad news indeed
dont think the mark will be the same ever again

my heart goes out to the family

they have just called a halt on the search ....which means bad news .

steve
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: the dangers of rock fishing

Post by Steve Dennington »

Sad news indeed. Rocks are a hazardous fishing location at the best of times.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

I’ve chanced my arm after wrasse a few times down south, bloody hazardous fishing, don’t think I’d do it without a life jacket nowadays...
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

suffolk si wrote: Sun Jul 30 2023 21:52 -
I’ve chanced my arm after wrasse a few times down south, bloody hazardous fishing, don’t think I’d do it without a life jacket nowadays...
It would be a wise move I think. I've even worn mine on the banks of some rivers - one swim I fished for barbel (just the once, mind!) was a very steep and slippery bank with 14ft of swirling water beneath and it scared the life out of me!
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sun Jul 30 2023 22:49 -
suffolk si wrote: Sun Jul 30 2023 21:52 -
It would be a wise move I think. I've even worn mine on the banks of some rivers - one swim I fished for barbel (just the once, mind!) was a very steep and slippery bank with 14ft of swirling water beneath and it scared the life out of me!
Agreed 👍especially when I am miles from anywhere or anyone 👍
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Sad news. Hopefully they will at least recover the body so the family can have closure.

Life jackets feature in the RNLI ads in fishing magazines - and their website - but few choose to wear them.
Last edited by paintman on Thu Aug 03 2023 20:06, edited 4 times in total.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

its come to lijght its not a young lad it a 46 year old guy thats gone missing .
just shows what people hear on the grape vine total bollox most of the time
still not sure if he was fishing or not .....thats face book for you

still sad though
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Best lifejacket for rock fishing is the top half of a wetsuit. It keeps you warm and afloat should you get washed off. Its an idea from South Africa where they experience some really big seas.

I used to rock fish a number of places abroad where rings had been cemented in for lifelines to be attached. Here I carry two lifelines, the type used by offshore sailors, loop thrm around a rock.
I dont have a cam. Thanks for the link paintman :thumbs:

Studded boots are also an essential for anyone who scrambles around rock fishing, slippery areas or on concrete banks.
F0B84147-B749-405A-9F04-54541A6ED9E7.jpeg
Supatracks - you put them in yourself https://supatracks.com/boot-studs/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

the guys body turn up today , about 3 miles away ..

steve
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Wed Aug 02 2023 11:08 -
Best lifejacket for rock fishing is the top half of a wetsuit. It keeps you warm and afloat should you get washed off. Its an idea from South Africa where they experience some really big seas.

I used to rock fish a number of places abroad where rings had been cemented in for lifelines to be attached. Here I carry two lifelines, the type used by offshore sailors, loop thrm around a rock.
I dont have a cam. Thanks for the link paintman :thumbs:

Studded boots are also an essential for anyone who scrambles around rock fishing, slippery areas or on concrete banks.
F0B84147-B749-405A-9F04-54541A6ED9E7.jpeg

Supatracks - you put them in yourself https://supatracks.com/boot-studs/

i keep off wet rocks these days mike , had a nasty fall last season ...i was lucky not to brake something ......

just wait for a dry day its not worth it ....
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

…and, in a similar vein to Steve, it’s certainly not worth mucking about with rockclimbing gear if it’s not second nature.

At risk of bluntness, as a lifelong rockclimber and mountaineer alongside my pred angling, the thought of anyone turning up and bunging in a camming device or nut to lower off or pull up on makes me pretty queasy. The ability to build a reliable belay takes skill and knowledge we gradually learn from experienced, trusted climbing partners or instructors over time. Also, don’t be fooled by ‘a rock climbing cam’ - singular. Unless there’s nothing else - literally - a belay is built from minimum two bomb-proof anchors, preferably three or more, placed in different cracks and pockets and as equally loaded as possible.

The other point I should stress is that, yes, you can buy stuff from ebay but no climber I know worth his/her salt would dream of doing so because of unknown provenance. Gear can be weakened by a massive fall/loading, by being dropped down a crag onto rock, by battery acid in car boots, by other chemicals in sheds/garages or by being a poorly made knock-off.

No apologies for telling it as it is; if it saves one of you a nasty, then that’s job done.
Gary Coggon
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

if you have got to use ropes and fall breaks ......its too risky unless your properly in the know and know what your doing ..
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

I wasn't suggesting that people start playing tarzan & rope accessing places. Thought it might be an idea once you're on the rocks you're fishing from if you want to put a safety line & there's nowhere to loop a rope or strap round.
ETA. I've deleted all reference from my post.
Last edited by paintman on Thu Aug 03 2023 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

If rock fishing, get a personal location beacon. Not that expensive in the big picture of things compared to what we spend on other items. Can be used Hill walking, fishing remote places etc. Money well spent
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

try not to go on your own.... twos better than one in case of an accident