Game Changing Carp rig

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Game Changing Carp rig

Post by BillCollins »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Aug 17 2023 04:38 -
I just read that Cyprio says that it takes 4.5 oz to trigger the twig, well with that amount of force the fish would be truly hooked anyways especially with an ultra sharp modern hook and that it necessitates the use of a large lead which brings its own problems.

Cheers, Alan
It just sounds like extra junk (and money) being cast into the lake. Carp rig stuff is very effective as it is and if you're missing takes or dropping fish, then it more than likely can be sorted with some fine tuning of your end gear.
Marcraft are for queers.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

BillCollins wrote: Thu Aug 17 2023 06:41 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Aug 17 2023 04:38 -
I just read that Cyprio says that it takes 4.5 oz to trigger the twig, well with that amount of force the fish would be truly hooked anyways especially with an ultra sharp modern hook and that it necessitates the use of a large lead which brings its own problems.

Cheers, Alan
It just sounds like extra junk (and money) being cast into the lake. Carp rig stuff is very effective as it is and if you're missing takes or dropping fish, then it more than likely can be sorted with some fine tuning of your end gear.
My 1st thoughts were that in theory its a good idea but now it looks evermore that it has inherent design floors and it will not become the game changer they say.
If you can bait in a way that makes a fish feed confidently and have a very sharp hook then you are way more than half way there.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

Thank f**k barbel are daft aggressive feeders. They’ll hook em selves on a size 6 buried in an inch cube of spam.

I genuinely think I’d struggle with all these rig types predominantly designed for carp.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Richard. wrote: Thu Aug 17 2023 16:47 -
Thank f**k barbel are daft aggressive feeders. They’ll hook em selves on a size 6 buried in an inch cube of spam.

I genuinely think I’d struggle with all these rig types predominantly designed for carp.
How much real need is there for it all ?
I was at the Carp Society Horseshoe lake earlier this year. The tench anglers on there generally tend to fish with just worm and maggots using basic helicopter feeder rigs, etc. They catch just as many and as big carp as the carp anglers do, so...??.. :shrug:
Marcraft are for queers.
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

BillCollins wrote: Thu Aug 17 2023 22:19 -

I was at the Carp Society Horseshoe lake earlier this year. The tench anglers on there generally tend to fish with just worm and maggots using basic helicopter feeder rigs, etc. They catch just as many and as big carp as the carp anglers do, so...??.. :shrug:
I couldn’t remotely answer that as I don’t catch many at all.

my biggest carp ever is only 22lb.
It was actually a commercial lake record a good number of years ago and I caught it pretty much the same way I’ve caught all my carp.
Little float just a foot or two from the margins and strike.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

It greatly depends on style of fishing I think ,Bill because if you are bivvied up for a few days on a relatively hard water where one or two runs is considered a great success, then a "techy" rig that does all the work for you is always going to be poplar with some, if however your fishing style is sitting by a pair of rods for a mornings tench fishing and you can hit bites as the bobbin rises, far more simple stuff will easily do.
Two of the most experienced carp anglers I know both use running rigs, one with high tech hooklinks, one with low tech hooklinks, can you guess who catches the most? you're right, the low tech guy as he is the better angler.
Importantly as long as a method does no harm to the fish or the environment, let em crack on if thats what tickles them!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Aug 18 2023 09:01 -

It greatly depends on style of fishing I think ,Bill because if you are bivvied up for a few days on a relatively hard water where one or two runs is considered a great success, then a "techy" rig that does all the work for you is always going to be poplar with some, if however your fishing style is sitting by a pair of rods for a mornings tench fishing and you can hit bites as the bobbin rises, far more simple stuff will easily do.
Two of the most experienced carp anglers I know both use running rigs, one with high tech hooklinks, one with low tech hooklinks, can you guess who catches the most? you're right, the low tech guy as he is the better angler.
Importantly as long as a method does no harm to the fish or the environment, let em crack on if thats what tickles them!

Cheers, Alan
Aah, you've just touched on the overlooked factor here Alan, the bivvy!. I don't use a bivvy very much overall, a few times a year, but when I do I like to be close to my rods, a few steps or so if possible. Some of the carp fraternity think otherwise and prefer to be as far away from their rods as they can. I can see another item becoming popular as soon as development is complete and that will be the camo e scooter, for nipping back and forth from the bivvy to the rods :thumbs:
Marcraft are for queers.
pikin
Perch
Perch

Post by pikin »

BillCollins wrote: Fri Aug 18 2023 13:30 -

Cheers, Alan
Aah, you've just touched on the overlooked factor here Alan, the bivvy!. I don't use a bivvy very much overall, a few times a year, but when I do I like to be close to my rods, a few steps or so if possible. Some of the carp fraternity think otherwise and prefer to be as far away from their rods as they can. I can see another item becoming popular as soon as development is complete and that will be the camo e scooter, for nipping back and forth from the bivvy to the rods :thumbs:
That is what Transit vans are for. I have been to a few talks in the last 24 months and being that far away from your rods that you need a vehicle in the event of a run seems to be nothing new!
Paul Ikin
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Think I told you about them 2 carpers I saw the other week, they were asleep in their bivvies with the doors shut when I got there and they were still alseep when I left .
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Cheers, Alan
When bivvy style session tenching my simple, short hooklink, self-hooking rigs caught carp. Even the running rig fished tight to a tight baitrunner. And better not to mention my crude Trent barbel rigs to carpers!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

BillCollins wrote: Fri Aug 18 2023 13:30 -

Cheers, Alan
Camo e scooter! :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

davelumb wrote: Fri Aug 18 2023 15:02 -

Cheers, Alan
When bivvy style session tenching my simple, short hooklink, self-hooking rigs caught carp. Even the running rig fished tight to a tight baitrunner. And better not to mention my crude Trent barbel rigs to carpers!
Im sure your relatively simple rigs catch carp just fine, the hair allowing a sharp hook to turn and prick the fish and then the resistance created by the rest of the set up finishes the job. No rig will get a hook up100% of the time but the way most carp anglers fish, drives them into wanting to create one. Think of how many variants there are, laterally thousands and not one has been produced thats converts all takes to fish in the net and the twig will be no different. Importantly for carp anglers it gives them something to do and talk about between :gulp: and :pipe: innovation is important for tackle sales and in fact on this point, anglers themselves always take the bait and get hooked.

Cheers, Alan
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

davelumb wrote: Mon Aug 14 2023 10:28 -
I bet the eel lads are p****d off at the use of 'Twig' as the name for a carp rig that's getting flak for being dangerous when their Twig Rig seems to do a great job of preventing deep hooking of eels. I wonder if OMC have trade marked the name and will try to stop the eel anglers calling their rig The Twig Rig!
Ali himself has trademarked the phrase "magic twig".

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcas ... 0003892330
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Luke wrote: Sat Aug 19 2023 16:28 -
davelumb wrote: Mon Aug 14 2023 10:28 -
I bet the eel lads are p****d off at the use of 'Twig' as the name for a carp rig that's getting flak for being dangerous when their Twig Rig seems to do a great job of preventing deep hooking of eels. I wonder if OMC have trade marked the name and will try to stop the eel anglers calling their rig The Twig Rig!
Ali himself has trademarked the phrase "magic twig".

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcas ... 0003892330
Nocturnal Flow Ltd.
Sounds like he needs to see a doctor! :grin:

(I wonder what 'Heist' is for?)
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

Heist... I was going to write something about it being the next magic rig that does nothing to hide the fact that he simply wants to steal your money. But my lawyers have advised me against saying that.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Luke wrote: Sat Aug 19 2023 16:43 -
Heist... I was going to write something about it being the next magic rig that does nothing to hide the fact that he simply wants to steal your money. But my lawyers have advised me against saying that.
:laughs:
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Luke wrote: Sat Aug 19 2023 16:43 -
:laughs:
Marcraft are for queers.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Just looked at the link Mercman posted.
£9.99 for two. And then you read on. What a load of tripe.

Just the mention of using 12oz leads to catch carp all these tackle manufacturers need to get real.
Dropping a 1.5 oz lead unnecessarily in open water pisses me off when the rules insist, but almost a pound of lead!

Looks like those who paid got fleeced for £60 for a bank stick spirit level can now loose another £60.
https://www.omctackle.com/collections/t ... -cool-tool plus a tenner for a case.

The suspense is killing me wtg for the tragic Wand! :roll:
Andy Carpenter
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Cyprio wrote: Sat Aug 19 2023 19:08 -

Just the mention of using 12oz leads to catch carp all these tackle manufacturers need to get real.
Dropping a 1.5 oz lead unnecessarily in open water pisses me off when the rules insist, but almost a pound of lead!

Looks like those who paid got fleeced for £60 for a bank stick spirit level can now loose another £60.
https://www.omctackle.com/collections/t ... -cool-tool plus a tenner for a case.

12oz leads! Is that a typo? Bloody hell, are some of these lakes tidal 😆
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike F wrote: Sun Aug 20 2023 06:05 -
Cyprio wrote: Sat Aug 19 2023 19:08 -

12oz leads! Is that a typo? Bloody hell, are some of these lakes tidal 😆
It's in the blurb for the Twiglet. I think they are used when taking baits out in boats to stupid distances on big Europe stillwaters, or doing the same on big continental rivers.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Don't know if this is genuine but this is circulating various fishing sites at the moment.
FB_IMG_1692629550862.jpg
If it's true then that's the end of this latest wonder gizzmo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Mike F wrote: Mon Aug 21 2023 16:09 -
Don't know if this is genuine but this is circulating various fishing sites at the moment.FB_IMG_1692629550862.jpg
If it's true then that's the end of this latest wonder gizzmo.
Mark 2, 3 or 4 will be better as the price goes up!

Cheers, Alan
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

12oz for carp fishing? that's ridiculous, I use that on the boat trips in the Bristol Channel
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

loads of barbel anglers use carp rigs for barbel , bolt rigs method feeders the lot ........carp gear clothing bivvys barrows its endless
bet you...... barbel anglers cant wait to try that rig ...

steve
:laughs: :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

poachers will like this self hooking rig .....they like using a lot of weight on the set lines .
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Looks like the Chinese were ahead of ComHedi :wink:

If only he Actually done some research and testing :laughs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115877299348 ... media=COPY

I bet if caught using one of these by the EA you’ll get fined.

The other they will just laugh at you for being a sheeple for paying carp tax! :roll:
Andy Carpenter
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

There's loads of 'em....
Screenshot_2023-08-21-21-50-03-80_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marcraft are for queers.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Cyprio wrote: Mon Aug 21 2023 21:42 -
Looks like the Chinese were ahead of ComHedi :wink:

If only he Actually done some research and testing :laughs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115877299348 ... media=COPY

I bet if caught using one of these by the EA you’ll get fined.

The other they will just laugh at you for being a sheeple for paying carp tax! :roll:
thats if you see an ea , no chance of a fine then .......
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Banned on all prince albert waters
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

wid wrote: Thu Sep 07 2023 10:44 -