Fixed spool for conger ?

Post by Roger5 »

Fixed spool for conger, don't want to use my precious cat reels 😁
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Fixed spool for conger ?

Post by stubbojo »

i have always used a multiplyer type reel for my conger fishing , at night i used the ratchet as a alarm letting it take a yard or too .
but dont allow it to go to far as they are buggers in finding snags
5 oz weight a 2 ft wire in 100lb or think mono leader 150-200lb as they can twist at high speed on the surface . big swivel too helps
just a simple running rig does the job

suppose you could use a fixed spool but it needs strong gearing to haul it up a cliff face .....depends where your fishing really

good luck
steve
d roberts
Perch
Perch

Post by d roberts »

Daiwa BG8000
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Roger5 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 30 2023 15:04 -
Fixed spool for conger, don't want to use my precious cat reels 😁

Depends on how big the congers are you expect to catch?
Shore - you can get away with almost anything half decent as long as the drag will lock down and you recover line on the downstroke.
Boat - a multi and a damn good one, something like a Penn Senator 4/0.

You need a good drag because congers pull as hard in reverse as they do going forward, and decent swivels as they will spin when on the surface. Its a game of win or lose and your only winning when your recovering line.
Its a one rod only sport and one where you need to consider what you will do before its hooked. Not when its writhing in front of you!

Me, I would use the Catfish reel, if nothing else landing a few congers on it will give you confidence in its build quality, and if not you can buy another that is superior.
8or10/0 hook through both jaws of a mackerel head and one side flapper, +100lb hooklength mono (Steve likes wire because Welsh eels have gnashers) a big swivel running lead. KISS :thumbs:

Ex Conger Club member.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Daiwa Opus Bull 5500

I have 4

You can find them on e bay for about 70 quid , let me know if you are having problems

Fixed spools are better over rough ground in my view as they get the fish up and away from snags quickly

Daiwa BG as mentioned are good and also Penn Battle or Penn Spinfisher ........all about 150 quid
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Around here in South Wales over the round ground congers are everywhere

Locals use a slosh 20 or 30 if using a multiplier or a strong fixed spool

You want 25 pound main line and an 80 pound leader tied with a spider hitch or bimini twist

Rig wise most use a short pulley with a stop knot to act as a bolt rig

From the lead ......

5 or 6 oz .....or sometimes 7 in the big tides lead

Weak link device

24 inches of minimum 80 pound mono .......rovex 10 x , suffix etc

Tie mono to lead and weak link

Thread on , in order , silicon stop knot , small bead , pulley bead , bead

Tie end of mono to size 2 barrel swivel

Pull up stop knot to about 4 inches from barrel swivel to form the bolt hooking rig which will slide down once fish is hooked and enable pulley rig to bring back fish and rig back safely

Other eye of swivel ......Tie about 18 inches of 80 pound mono hook length .....ended by two 79515 mustad vikings .....3 /0 is fine ....to form a pennel

Baits are mackeral and squid to stop the crabs bait stripping

Some people prefer herring , it's just as good .....again with squid or cuttlefish

Whole squid , cuttlefish , pouting or whiting strips .....although I don't like killing baitfish personally when conger will take anything .....but I prefer a cocktail bait

Baits about 4 inches are the best , less deep hooking of congers and doggies and rays which also get to the bait
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

Thanks lads for all the help and advice, I understand the principle of KISS and will do my very best to keep to it πŸ€—
As I said, I don't want to use my cat reels ( old 4500b/6500b shims ) don't like the idea of all that salty water getting into them 😱
I do like the idea of a dedicated reel for the job, the Daiwa BG8000 looks like the one for me.
Same with my cat rods, pretty sure they would be capable, but I don't think I'd want to use them either, I do have a couple of NGT cat rods which I reckon could be up to the job ( will bring them back from the allotment 🀣 ) think I'll press them into service, unless of course I'm told different on here.
Thanks again for all the help . Rog
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Roger5 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 02 2023 09:41 -
Thanks lads for all the help and advice, I understand the principle of KISS and will do my very best to keep to it πŸ€—
As I said, I don't want to use my cat reels ( old 4500b/6500b shims ) don't like the idea of all that salty water getting into them 😱
I do like the idea of a dedicated reel for the job, the Daiwa BG8000 looks like the one for me.
Same with my cat rods, pretty sure they would be capable, but I don't think I'd want to use them either, I do have a couple of NGT cat rods which I reckon could be up to the job ( will bring them back from the allotment 🀣 ) think I'll press them into service, unless of course I'm told different on here.
Thanks again for all the help . Rog
The Daiwa BG 8000 is a huge reel

You might want to go into a shop first , a size or two down is what most anglers use round here for rough ground congers, bull huss , smooth hounds and big rays
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

Cheers for that Taff, was starting to think that myself, will have a look before I decide
Maybe 6500 or 5000 could be more realistic, thanks again. Rog
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

like mike says , depends if your after straps or 20lb plus fish , believe me there is a difference dont underestimate a big conger at night on a shear cliff mark

regards steve
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Roger5 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 02 2023 15:30 -
Cheers for that Taff, was starting to think that myself, will have a look before I decide
I have a 5500 Daiwa Opus Bull , made for conger

It's not going anywhere , I would want what I paid for it , second hand , which was 70 quid plus postage

Big capacity
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Tue Oct 03 2023 22:01 -
I have a 5500 Daiwa Opus Bull , made for conger

It's not going anywhere , I would want what I paid for it , second hand , which was 70 quid plus postage

Big capacity
Just found one on ebay πŸ€— Cheers Taffy. Rog
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Worth remembering that before Stellas and Saltigas were made the reel of choice for tuna was the Diawa Emblem, its why it is no coincidence they are still being produced and certainly a better designed reel than any baitrunner.
Another fixed spool reel that has stood the test is the Penn Spinfisher in 8500 size. Both reels can be double dogged, having two (steel) anti-reverse dogs, one each side of the spool spreads the load more evenly.

Biggest eel Ive seen landed on a small reel was a 90pounder on an ABU 7000 multi. Hooked on a patch of sand just of the shore, but for fishing from a boat I doubt it would have been landed. Brilliant bit of angling I must say.

UK Shore record conger - 68.8lbs (what a nightmare on a dodgy reel :laughs: )

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

The Opus Bull 5500 arrived today, I like it, big no nonsense reel, no heavier then one of my 6500b ( 30oz ) 15k drag
This one came with two spools, boxed Β£45 and free postage πŸ€— Brand new
I'd be more than happy to take this out for cats, 25lb Big Game or maybe some heavy braid 80lb KastKing πŸ€”
Have to say, happy with my purchase.
Cheers Taff
Rog
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Roger5 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 12 2023 14:54 -
The Opus Bull 5500 arrived today, I like it, big no nonsense reel, no heavier then one of my 6500b ( 30oz ) 15k drag
I'd be more than happy to take this out for cats, 25lb Big Game or maybe some heavy braid 80lb KastKing πŸ€”
Cheers Taff
Rog
I would still use a 60 pound minimum leader with that even if using 25 pound line
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

I would suggest a 2 speed multi for Conger unless you are built like Arnold Swaztenegger! I have used a Shimmy TLD in the past but I have a nice OMOTO now
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Graham Benyon wrote: ↑Fri Oct 13 2023 15:02 -
I would suggest a 2 speed multi for Conger unless you are built like Arnold Swaztenegger! I have used a Shimmy TLD in the past but I have a nice OMOTO now

You have clearly not tangled with any big conger because if you had you would know the only speed you can crank a big eel up with is low and slow.
Checkout the photograph of any of the big congers of the past and the only reels you will see is single speed Penn Senators.

Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

Mike J wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14 2023 11:50 -

You have clearly not tangled with any big conger because if you had you would know the only speed you can crank a big eel up with is low and slow.
Checkout the photograph of any of the big congers of the past and the only reels you will see is single speed Penn Senators.

LMFAO, so a single speed Penn which is built like my mothers old mangle is a far better option than a Shimmy TLD 20 or 25 2 speed? :laughs: I have had conger to 80lb`s of the French coast on Seabreeze 111 out of Brighton so I think I know what I am talking about. I also fished out of Newhaven and Plymouth and had Conger to 60lb in English waters. Pictures on request :thumbs: :camera:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Graham Benyon wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15 2023 22:33 -

LMFAO, so a single speed Penn which is built like my mothers old mangle is a far better option than a Shimmy TLD 20 or 25 2 speed? :laughs: I have had conger to 80lb`s of the French coast on Seabreeze 111 out of Brighton so I think I know what I am talking about. I also fished out of Newhaven and Plymouth and had Conger to 60lb in English waters. Pictures on request :thumbs: :camera:

More World Records have been caught on Penn Senators than any other reel.

As for a p*****g contest.......

Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

A two speed reel is built for exactly that purpose Mike. High gear for cranking rigs back up etc and low gear for big fish playing. I have a daiwa sealine sld 2 speed and senator 113 and I can tell you which is the better reel!

As for senators being the reel of records etc, if true, they're relatively cheap and a charter boat standard, perhaps that's the reason :shrug:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Roger5 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 12 2023 14:54 -
Cheers Taff
Rog
You are not looking to cast far for conger , certainly round here

They are great reels and virtually indestructible

Heavy but you are not holding it for long