Zander
Zander

Re: Bowlergate!!!!

Post by Bob Watson »

Mike J wrote: ↑Wed Nov 08 2023 17:52 -
Neville Fickling wrote: ↑Tue Nov 07 2023 22:24 -
Nothing in Angling Times this week
Hopefully he will survive this

If you "hope he will survive" why did you start the thread in the first place?

By starting such a thread a neutral could easily believe you were trying to stir things up rather than let whatever happened find its own balance.

Deflection :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

fergie68 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 08 2023 18:27 -
If he really is pulling this type of cruel s**t maybe he doesn't deserve to survive.
An unfortunate choice of words to describe his alleged actions there. Unethical, certainly, but cruel?
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Unethical most definitely. Cruel ? I feel it is Steve.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

fergie68 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 08:22 -
You use lures for Trout, that's unethical!

#itonlycountsonthefly

:stir: :grin:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Sometimes I use the upstream dray flay to make ammends for my depravity. πŸ™πŸ™„πŸ§

FEROX 85 GROUP
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

fergie68 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 08:51 -
Sometimes I use the upstream dray flay to make ammends for my depravity. πŸ™πŸ™„πŸ§
Noted! :clap:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

:laughs:

A few years ago when I was well into barbel fishing and still did a bit of flyfishing at Grafham, I had the idea of catching a barbel on a fly rod. My idea was to fish a deep marginal swin with a high "D" line and a lump of meat. I was telling my idea at my mates tackle shop where an old guy had popped in for some fly gear. Upon hearing my most cunning of plans, the old guy exclaimed "A high "D" line and a lump of meat young man! ARE YOU MAD?" :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
squimp
Roach
Roach

Post by squimp »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 09:05 -

A few years ago when I was well into barbel fishing and still did a bit of flyfishing at Grafham, I had the idea of catching a barbel on a fly rod. My idea was to fish a deep marginal swin with a high "D" line and a lump of meat. I was telling my idea at my mates tackle shop where an old guy had popped in for some fly gear. Upon hearing my most cunning of plans, the old guy exclaimed "A high "D" line and a lump of meat young man! ARE YOU MAD?" :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
If you research tuna fishing on fly; they use real flies that resemble bits of meat (sort of!). Then you could cheat by soaking it in monster crab flavour !
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

How so? It's just a fish on the end of the line with a hook in its mouth - something we all hope to do every time we go fishing.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 12:53 -
How so? It's just a fish on the end of the line with a hook in its mouth - something we all hope to do every time we go fishing.
Because he's just caught it . I assume it fought all the way to the net only to be unhooked then re-hooked to go through it again. in what I'd assume is a short period of time.
I personally find that cruel. Among other things.

FEROX 85 GROUP
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Cheers, Alan

Blasphemy. :afraid:

How did you get on . ?
Did you try it.
I've been chasing chub on the fly on my local river but it's hard going with just small fish caught.
A pal went and fished a any method stretch of the same river and had some crackers on bread. So the big ones are in there.

FEROX 85 GROUP
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

fergie68 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 16:26 -

Cheers, Alan

How did you get on . ?
Did you try it.
I've been chasing chub on the fly on my local river but it's hard going with just small fish caught.
A pal went and fished a any method stretch of the same river and had some crackers on bread. So the big ones are in there.

Chuck in 4or5 small balls of mashed bread in 2-3min intervals then wait a few mins and follow them down with a tiny ball of mash alongside your hook in a ball of cotton wool (fly).

Scotland has the reputation for enormous chub, the Annan in particular once produced a fish over 12lbs, no record claimed as it was eaten by the cat of the Doctor who caught it.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

fergie68 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 16:23 -
Because he's just caught it . I assume it fought all the way to the net only to be unhooked then re-hooked to go through it again. in what I'd assume is a short period of time.
So, how about putting a hook in a roach and having it swim around under a float for a few hours?
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Not my scene .

FEROX 85 GROUP
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 17:49 -
fergie68 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 16:23 -
So, how about putting a hook in a roach and having it swim around under a float for a few hours?
A few hours πŸ™„ Obviously in the wrong swim 🀣
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

if you cant see his face on the vid ....he can just say its not me ...end of

could be a wind up this...... as the face cannot be seen ......
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

stubbojo wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 20:04 -
if you cant see his face on the vid ....he can just say its not me ...end of

could be a wind up this...... as the face cannot be seen ......
That was my initial reaction. However MB's response was not along the lines of "this is bullshit, that's not me in that video". See the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=861 ... 9405067555
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

fergie68 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09 2023 16:26 -

Cheers, Alan

How did you get on . ?
Did you try it.
I never did, because the stretch I was fishing at the time was mainly inhabited by double figure fish.
I think chub are quite catchable in summer with a big bushy dry or even dare I say dog biscuit, they are castable on fly gear which I have done for carp. Plastic bread is another option?
Lets us know how you get on.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

My friend technique is to throw some bread into the river follow it until it gets taken then put his own over the feeding fish.
I thought about doing the same then trying a small piece of polystyrene .
Plastic bread ? that's a new one .
For carp anglers I take it . I will check that out.

FEROX 85 GROUP
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

fergie68 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10 2023 08:27 -
My friend technique is to throw some bread into the river follow it until it gets taken then put his own over the feeding fish.
I thought about doing the same then trying a small piece of polystyrene .
Plastic bread ? that's a new one .
For carp anglers I take it . I will check that out.
Enterprise tackle do some very convincing stuff !

Cheers, Alan
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I will check it out. πŸ‘πŸ»

FEROX 85 GROUP
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

fergie68 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10 2023 08:54 -

Bet they would take the deer hair dog biscuit flies, the carp are suckers for them when you feed real dog biscuits, the fulling mill ones are very good
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I have used some huge chernobyl ands and grass hoppers kindly donated by Richard (oldskoolfool) they are very popular with the wee trout ,salmon parr and dace 😳 but no chubb yet.
It's a salmon river so always the chance of something huge taking these flys.

FEROX 85 GROUP
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10 2023 11:39 -
fergie68 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10 2023 08:54 -

Bet they would take the deer hair dog biscuit flies, the carp are suckers for them when you feed real dog biscuits, the fulling mill ones are very good
Used them myself with some success and they are lighter on the cast!

Cheers, Alan
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Years ago when I ran a trout fishery, we had several programmes filmed there including period dramas. Inevitably they usually wanted a scene where one of the characters caught a fish. This usually involved setting up retaining tanks of live trout from the stock pond, providing fish wrangling expertise as thespians tended not to want to handle the fish themselves, and on one occasion dressing in costume and being filmed in silhouette casting as the actor was completely unable to learn how to cast.
Watching them hauling in a confused stockie that had been attached to a hook, lobbed out and then reeled in again was equally depressing and amusing. Even then they had less than 50% success in landing the fish before it got bored and escaped. Each capture shown on screen tended to be a composite of footage from multiple captures due to camera angles, lighting conditions, mistakes and so on. One production took a week to film a single 5 min scene of the main character catching a trout, this involved probably a dozen different fish and a closeup of a take filmed when I was feeding pellet and then fishing a large brown dry fly over the resulting feeding frenzy myself, to allow a shot of fish taking from the surface. But it was amazing, how after editing they could make it appear that the fish had been genuinely caught more often than not.

Later as a fishery officer I witnessed all sorts of shenanigans by film crews making angling programmes. Fisheries heavily pre baiting out of bounds areas, "celebrity" anglers who weren't actually the ones who caught the fish in the programmes etc. Watch most popular fishing shows and its amazing how often the setup they were shown using suddenly changes each time they catch a fish, often to the extent of totally different reel/rod or lure. This is usually because the expert presenter has been handed a rod with fish attached by the local guide or bailiff who actually hooked the fish on their own gear before filming started for the capture scene.
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

fenland piker wrote: ↑Fri Nov 24 2023 15:00 -
Even then they had less than 50% success in landing the fish before it got bored and escaped.
Just been told off by Mrs p for letting out a loud laugh in the middle of what I'm led to believe was a particularly gripping bit of tonight's Corrie. :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Years ago when I ran a trout fishery, we had several programmes filmed there including period dramas. Inevitably they usually wanted a scene where one of the characters caught a fish. This usually involved setting up retaining tanks of live trout from the stock pond, providing fish wrangling expertise as thespians tended not to want to handle the fish themselves, and on one occasion dressing in costume and being filmed in silhouette casting as the actor was completely unable to learn how to cast.
Watching them hauling in a confused stockie that had been attached to a hook, lobbed out and then reeled in again was equally depressing and amusing. Even then they had less than 50% success in landing the fish before it got bored and escaped. Each capture shown on screen tended to be a composite of footage from multiple captures due to camera angles, lighting conditions, mistakes and so on. One production took a week to film a single 5 min scene of the main character catching a trout, this involved probably a dozen different fish and a closeup of a take filmed when I was feeding pellet and then fishing a large brown dry fly over the resulting feeding frenzy myself, to allow a shot of fish taking from the surface. But it was amazing, how after editing they could make it appear that the fish had been genuinely caught more often than not.

Later as a fishery officer I witnessed all sorts of shenanigans by film crews making angling programmes. Fisheries heavily pre baiting out of bounds areas, "celebrity" anglers who weren't actually the ones who caught the fish in the programmes etc. Watch most popular fishing shows and its amazing how often the setup they were shown using suddenly changes each time they catch a fish, often to the extent of totally different reel/rod or lure. This is usually because the expert presenter has been handed a rod with fish attached by the local guide or bailiff who actually hooked the fish on their own gear before filming started for the capture scene.

The famous Mr B was being filmed trotting for roach on a Hampshire chalkstream when he hooked what was clearly a 3plusser, the river keeper who was standing by offered to net it for him but Mr B declined the offer, tried to do it himself and promptly knock the fish off!
The Director was clearly unimpressed and did not edit out the laughter of the keeper who was standing out of shot.

Not the scruffy Mr B, the neat and tidy ex teacher.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Gergie great go hear - keep going you'll get a chub. Neen an on/off year for me but did get a few on the hopper sight fishing. Given up now due to endless rain and still waiting for an opportunity to go trotting.....
--Ped--
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by --Ped-- »

when i used to fish more for carp a sponsored young angler was on a local club water,him and four mates would rock up and heavily bait all the swims with other mates coming down to fish/save the swims whilst still feeding the swims
when a carp was caught the sponsored angler would have a pic in all the pegs with it wearing different coloured sponsors shirts hoodies etc
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Mike J wrote: ↑Sat Nov 25 2023 12:13 -

The famous Mr B was being filmed trotting for roach on a Hampshire chalkstream when he hooked what was clearly a 3plusser, the river keeper who was standing by offered to net it for him but Mr B declined the offer, tried to do it himself and promptly knock the fish off!
The Director was clearly unimpressed and did not edit out the laughter of the keeper who was standing out of shot.

Not the scruffy Mr B, the neat and tidy ex teacher.

Better him bumping it then the keeper.