big pollack takes mackerel

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

big pollack takes mackerel

Post by stubbojo »

20231103_191408.jpg
fishing a reef for bass on live mackerel,but this big pollack took this on the surface , made me jump ...the bugger

steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: big pollack takes mackerel

Post by John Milford »

That sounds like an old Angling Times headline Steve. :laughs:

Big ol' pollack that, by the looks of it! :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Nov 08 2023 21:11 -
20231103_191408.jpg

fishing a reef for bass on live mackerel,but this big pollack took this on the surface , made me jump ...the bugger

steve

Boootiful, that will make some v enjoyable fish curry :thumbs:

Never had one on the surface, closest was a nipper that took a fly trailed behind a early pedalo in St Ives bay.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Nice catch Steve :thumbs:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

John Milford wrote: Wed Nov 08 2023 21:26 -
That sounds like an old Angling Times headline Steve. :laughs:

Big ol' pollack that, by the looks of it! :thumbs:
looking at the title again ,yes it does john :laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Wed Nov 08 2023 21:30 -
20231103_191408.jpg

steve

Never had one on the surface, closest was a nipper that took a fly trailed behind a early pedalo in St Ives bay.

was drift fishing over a big reef area , which drys out at low water , took this fish reeling in fast to avoid the pinnacle coming up on the finder....
this is where i seen the shark while playing a bass . :afraid:

steve
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

20231103_191408.jpg

steve

had some big pollack follow a lure right up the side of the boat , just like a pike would do ....and boy as you know pollack can really fight on the right tackle .
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Nov 09 2023 18:58 -
20231103_191408.jpg

steve

had some big pollack follow a lure right up the side of the boat , just like a pike would do ....and boy as you know pollack can really fight on the right tackle .
All the big 'un's Ive had were off deep SW wrecks and once you'd held the first dive it was a case of hammering it up to midwater as fast as possible where it would blow-up and just spiral up to the surface.
Not exactly sporting, but then chartering never was, more a numbers game of trying to ensure the 'box' was full so everyone could take home a full cooler of fillets.
Never had a 20 but quite a few pretty close, but did get an 18 coalie back in the day.

If big followers are a possibility you can often catch them by dropping in a livie, just keep it ready rigged in a bucket so you can flick it over the side with your hand, reel on a light setting, then when you've dealt with the first fish it will still be there with the circle ready for setting. Worked for me dozens of times on different species.

Mike
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

years back went to Ireland sea fishing , absolutely brilliant fishing i had the biggest pollack at 21lb on a huge redgill lure ,still got the trophy biggest specimen of the trip

the coalies where 6 at a time on white feathers all about 10lb each so 60lb of coalies on every drop it was mind blowing will dig out some photos of that trip
shame really i never went back ......cod, brill, sharks..... always remember seeing my first basking shark close up right next to the boat

those were the days mike
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Nov 11 2023 19:23 -
years back went to Ireland sea fishing , absolutely brilliant fishing i had the biggest pollack at 21lb on a huge redgill lure ,still got the trophy biggest specimen of the trip

the coalies where 6 at a time on white feathers all about 10lb each so 60lb of coalies on every drop it was mind blowing will dig out some photos of that trip
shame really i never went back ......cod, brill, sharks..... always remember seeing my first basking shark close up right next to the boat

those were the days mike
Where in Ireland was that? I'm guessing Kinsale, or at least some part of West Cork...
You didn't come here to talk to me about button mushrooms or birds
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Fordey wrote: Wed Nov 15 2023 18:17 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Nov 11 2023 19:23 -

those were the days mike
Where in Ireland was that? I'm guessing Kinsale, or at least some part of West Cork...
its going back a bit westport or westpoint i all ways get names mixed up , i remember huge rocky islands right out at sea ...fishing was out of this world as regards to numbers
bet its not as good now .......think the gaff we stopped in was the helm right on the harbour......