Fly line suggestions

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
paintman
Perch
Perch

Fly line suggestions

Post by paintman »

The Airflo WF8F I've had for decades has finally expired.

Used it all round for trout, some coarse & some sea.

Considering another airflo offering, possibly the superflo, but open to suggestions of other makes or comments - good & bad - about the airflo range.

Criteria is a good floater, good caster, low memory, low stretch & longevity.

Thank you!
squimp
Roach
Roach

Re: Fly line suggestions

Post by squimp »

Cheap - Maxcatch.

More expensive - John Norris.

Even more expensive - Barrio or Snowbee.

The Maxcatch lines are very well received and ridiculously cheap - some are straight copies of Rio lines costing close to £100 ! The Barrio lines are really good too, I have a handful.
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

squimp wrote: Tue Nov 21 2023 09:41 -
Cheap - Maxcatch.

More expensive - John Norris.

Even more expensive - Barrio or Snowbee.

The Maxcatch lines are very well received and ridiculously cheap - some are straight copies of Rio lines costing close to £100 ! The Barrio lines are really good too, I have a handful.
Thank you. :thumbs:
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Also check around for mill end flylines - slight seconds but perfectly functional
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Oldskoolfool wrote: Wed Nov 22 2023 08:37 -
Also check around for mill end flylines - slight seconds but perfectly functional
:thumbs: Used to do a bit of competition fishing in the 80s & 90s & several of my sinking lines are mill ends. Work fine.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

A couple of others to consider Rede River and Silver Scales both offer reasonable priced lines. I do use mill edns esp on sinkers as most likely to snag - eases the pain somewhat
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mike Barrio if I was only buying a single line. Give him a call and ask his advice, he may even have a few leftovers that could save you a bob or two.

An alternative is a double taper and cut it in half to make two WF lines. If you want a shorter WF for budgies consider a used DT Spey then cut the two halves back to weight.

All my lines have been cut back to the required weight using a pair of digital kitchen scales, before welding on a new loop.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Thanks Mike.

I used DT salmon fly lines for the initial play with budgies simply because I'd got them, albeit they hadn't seen the light of day since the 1980s, then settled on an airflo sniper 40+ wf8i which I've been very pleased with.
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

About a year ago I bought the Wychwood Rocket Floater to try, they might as well call it a sink tip as any fly with even a small amount of weight just quickly starts sinking the line, so my advice is avoid !

I have various fly lines, but for me the best is the Cortland 444 in peach :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

paintman wrote: Fri Nov 24 2023 10:41 -
Thanks Mike.

I used DT salmon fly lines for the initial play with budgies simply because I'd got them, albeit they hadn't seen the light of day since the 1980s, then settled on an airflo sniper 40+ wf8i which I've been very pleased with.

If you need any encouragement I know a chap who had two 30's last winter on flies :grin:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Rio Outbound Short are brilliant, but ££££££££££££££££££££££££££
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Mike J wrote: Fri Nov 24 2023 11:51 -
paintman wrote: Fri Nov 24 2023 10:41 -
Thanks Mike.

If you need any encouragement I know a chap who had two 30's last winter on flies :grin:

Nice!
Be interested as to what flies, lines (as in float, sink etc)?
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Alex Fox wrote: Fri Nov 24 2023 11:07 -
About a year ago I bought the Wychwood Rocket Floater to try, they might as well call it a sink tip as any fly with even a small amount of weight just quickly starts sinking the line, so my advice is avoid !

I have various fly lines, but for me the best is the Cortland 444 in peach :thumbs:
:thumbs: Little more infuriating than a floater that doesn't - even if you've just cleaned it & slathered half a tin of floatant on it out of sheer frustration!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

paintman wrote: Fri Nov 24 2023 12:30 -
Alex Fox wrote: Fri Nov 24 2023 11:07 -

:thumbs: Little more infuriating than a floater that doesn't - even if you've just cleaned it & slathered half a tin of floatant on it out of sheer frustration!
Armor-All dashboard wipes are great for cleaning fly lines and they help restore and improve floating qualities too.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Nov 24 2023 11:55 -
Rio Outbound Short are brilliant, but ££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Ive got a Rio Short floater looking for a home, think its a 32gm 8/9 weight. i stopped using it when I moved over to integrated tips

paintman wrote: Fri Nov 24 2023 12:17 -
[quote="Mike J" post_id=817564 time=<a href="tel:1700823072">1700823072</a> user_id=5312]
[quote=paintman post_id=817556 time=<a href="tel:1700818912">1700818912</a> user_id=11624]
Thanks Mike.

[/quote]

Nice!
Be interested as to what flies, lines (as in float, sink etc)?
[/quote]

When I see him I will ask.
When Im salmon fishing pike are my nemesis.It always seems that when Im on a hot pool a b b lunker seems to appear and chomp up my fly, result, many more fly losses (:hissy: ) than landings (1). The fly is always the same, a big banana :grin: which fortunately I don't have to pay for.

paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

They certainly make a mess of flies!
Next time I've got the tying kit out I'll have a play with the recipe.
Are you using them on hooks or tubes?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

paintman wrote: Sat Nov 25 2023 21:38 -

Not posting that on here or some will be lifting it to use as their own in one of the comics. Yes it happens and has been admitted to.

paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Mike J wrote: Sun Nov 26 2023 16:59 -
paintman wrote: Sat Nov 25 2023 21:38 -

Not posting that on here or some will be lifting it to use as their own in one of the comics. Yes it happens and has been admitted to.

No problem. :thumbs:
BillyTwoFish
Chub
Chub

Post by BillyTwoFish »

paintman wrote: Tue Nov 21 2023 00:01 -

Considering another airflo offering, possibly the superflo, but open to suggestions of other makes or comments - good & bad - about the airflo range.

Thank you!
I had a punt of the Maxcatch Gold line and can't believe the quality for the money. Easily as good as any of the Courtland lines I've got an a fraction of the cost. Silky smooth and casts like a dream.

Highly reccomended
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood"
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

BillyTwoFish wrote: Thu Jan 11 2024 15:41 -
paintman wrote: Tue Nov 21 2023 00:01 -

Thank you!
I had a punt of the Maxcatch Gold line and can't believe the quality for the money. Easily as good as any of the Courtland lines I've got an a fraction of the cost. Silky smooth and casts like a dream.

Highly reccomended
:thumbs:
Maxcatch certainly get a lot of good reviews.
Settled on the airflo in the end, something to do with 'the devil you know'.