Roach attractants

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Roach attractants

Post by stubbojo »

the roach are in very good condition at this time of the year ..
20240129_155010.jpg
nice to have a change from the pike fishing .......just waiting for another cold front to come in , then back on the pike..

steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Jan 29 2024 20:32 -
Bob Watson wrote: Mon Jan 29 2024 19:41 -
I soak my hemp overnight with a good bit of bicarb of soda before boiling. It usually splits but I'm not too bothered if it doesn't.

A local tackle shop used to sell ground hemp, a fine powder which gave me some good results years ago.

A search returns some results but they all look like crushed hemp to me.
you can buy it by the tin bob ready cooked with additive think it was 2.45 .....not worth fannying about with tbh
its enough for a few hours fishing ......

steve
I've always got a few tins in the tackle room! If you have a Boyes store local to you, they quite often have it quite cheap!

I very rarely prep' my own now, the price of the big sacks I used to get went through the roof a few years ago, so much so that my local Maddox's animal feed centre started bagging hemp in kilo bags so thy could sell it.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Quick trip out with worms on a small ditch feeding into a mainstream, had a few gudgeon, dace and Roach .. about 3 ft in width and 18" deep at best
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

nice , one big Cheshire mere i fish has a small ditch going down one side of it , its black with fry in winter and the perch are big that follow them in there...you wouldn't think they would venture into the very narrow ditch .........
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

had a few hours on the res the other day, wind was howling from the left made it difficult casting tbh , but had some decent fish in the end....
20240126_151948.jpg
20240205_132913.jpg
20240130_145922.jpg
dont know what the guy was doing as i got there , he was just leaving and said he has not had a bite in 3 hours ......

had a bite within minutes of getting my rig in the water ....

steve
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Feb 07 2024 20:24 -
nice , one big Cheshire mere i fish has a small ditch going down one side of it , its black with fry in winter and the perch are big that follow them in there...you wouldn't think they would venture into the very narrow ditch .........

We have seen a lot of rain last 24 hours Steve, I like to venture onto side streams to see the effect of flooding and holding areas for fish, my best was 7 species from a small stream in a very condensed spot, the best bit was people crossing over a bridge telling me I won't catch and the main river is over the next 2 fields away.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Feb 07 2024 20:38 -
had a few hours on the res the other day, wind was howling from the left made it difficult casting tbh , but had some decent fish in the end....
20240126_151948.jpg
20240205_132913.jpg20240130_145922.jpg

dont know what the guy was doing as i got there , he was just leaving and said he has not had a bite in 3 hours ......

had a bite within minutes of getting my rig in the water ....

steve
On a feeder rig? I trotted worm today as out of the usual cheap'Squash ball bread'.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

yes stew , feeder rig ...heli rig about 25 yards out ,but very shallow spot about 4 ft , kept casting every 10 to 15 minutes to get the feed in, bites come in the first minute must be a lot of fish all over it ......

steve
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

had some veary heavy rain today all day infact .....fishing will be crap for a few days ...