Roach attractants

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Roach attractants

Post by Stewlaws »

Not using maggots nor will I (the perch move in and just makes it a ball ache) doing ok on liquidised bread over punch, have now started to add ground spices,(nutmeg,cinnamon,cumin and star anaise) freshly ground.

The water is heavily coloured, so looking at that edge of drawing in... Has anyone tried Geranium oil or similar to good effect?

Thanks.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Re: Roach attractants

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Hi suggest you get a copy of Archie Braddocks Fantastic Feeder Fishing - loads of ideas in there! For me I use 1 heap teaspoon of either Chinese 5 spice or mixed spice ( as per Xmas cake) to 4slices of break in the liquidiser - blitz to desire consistency. For essentiL oils I add 1-2 drops to thr inside of a zip lock freezer bag + 1ml sweetener - close bag and rub the bag to disperse the flavour across the inside surface. Add in the blitzed crumb - I tend to add a whole loaf bar 4 slides for hookbait. When all of the liquid edges bread added inflate bag and shake to distribute flavour- next put in thr freezer overnight and thaw before use - the freeze/thaw will distribute the flavour even more! For the four hookbait slices use exactly the same trick but keep the slices whole. I used go use Archicies flavours but alas no more - essential oils work but stay at low levels- carp flavours work well - I tend to use a rato of 2ml flavour + 1 ml sweetener- also works for maggots! The combo of spice & flavour seems a winner
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that aniseed is a sworn by roach attractant. Very pungent so would work well in coloured water.

Jack
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

Put a pinch of hemp in with the fresh, roach love hemp and it keeps them on the bottom..
If you were using maggots I would recomend Turmeric in with the maize meal, roach love it plus it degreases the maggots so they get down quicker.. :thumbs:
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

charleston16 wrote: Thu Dec 21 2023 10:56 -
Put a pinch of hemp in with the fresh, roach love hemp and it keeps them on the bottom..
If you were using maggots I would recomend Turmeric in with the maize meal, roach love it plus it degreases the maggots so they get down quicker.. :thumbs:
Bought a bag of 'white maize' flour today, to play around with, will try the tumeric in that..
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Oldskoolfool wrote: Tue Dec 12 2023 18:58 -
Hi suggest you get a copy of Archie Braddocks Fantastic Feeder Fishing - loads of ideas in there! For me I use 1 heap teaspoon of either Chinese 5 spice or mixed spice ( as per Xmas cake) to 4slices of break in the liquidiser - blitz to desire consistency. For essentiL oils I add 1-2 drops to thr inside of a zip lock freezer bag + 1ml sweetener - close bag and rub the bag to disperse the flavour across the inside surface. Add in the blitzed crumb - I tend to add a whole loaf bar 4 slides for hookbait. When all of the liquid edges bread added inflate bag and shake to distribute flavour- next put in thr freezer overnight and thaw before use - the freeze/thaw will distribute the flavour even more! For the four hookbait slices use exactly the same trick but keep the slices whole. I used go use Archicies flavours but alas no more - essential oils work but stay at low levels- carp flavours work well - I tend to use a rato of 2ml flavour + 1 ml sweetener- also works for maggots! The combo of spice & flavour seems a winner
Bought quite a few old books on Roach, also got Mark Wintles vol1&2 on Big roach, back on canal as rivers just dire.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

crushed hemp works for me 50/50 in a feeder mix and hemp oil not to much ...

steve
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

Stewlaws wrote: Thu Dec 21 2023 21:18 -
Bought a bag of 'white maize' flour today, to play around with, will try the tumeric in that..
:thumbs:
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

were did you buy the white maize flour pal ......better than sawdust sometimes ...

had a very good day today on the roach ......fish a cast day today :thumbs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I've heard pineapple flavour is good for roach?

Not tried it yet, but I have some spray pineapple flavoring/colouring (yellow) for when my local pond reopens in the spring.

There are some quite big roach in there, but the problem in targeting them (like almost everywhere these days) is avoiding the nuisance carp.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Yes I find a blend of 2:1 pineapple: sweetener works well -mix and put 1ml in per pint of maggots- works well.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

stubbojo wrote: Fri Jan 26 2024 18:34 -
were did you buy the white maize flour pal ......better than sawdust sometimes ...

Hi Steve, better than me, was broken off by a chub, had a dace and a gudgeon, could not find the Roach today on the river.

Dudley Tesco's in West Mids.. they have a lot of stuff more in keeping to the cultural diversity locally, I find things there I cannot find elsewhere in Tesco's, the maize was in 2 kg and 15 kg bags.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Jan 26 2024 20:20 -
stubbojo wrote: Fri Jan 26 2024 18:34 -

Hi Steve, better than me, was broken off by a chub, had a dace and a gudgeon, could not find the Roach today on the river.

Dudley Tesco's in West Mids.. they have a lot of stuff more in keeping to the cultural diversity locally, I find things there I cannot find elsewhere in Tesco's, the maize was in 2 kg and 15 kg bags.
cheers stew , will see if i can source some here .......had a cracking day on the roach today will put pic on shortly mixed the ground bait 50/50 with crushed hemp and added hemp oil to the mix .....the roach went ballistic today .... heli rigs and 10lb fluro 50mm links to a size 12 hook 3 red maggots ....did go to 6 maggots but kept missing bites

steve
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

roach at range , heli rig tactics about 30 yrds out , bites from the off ..
only had my landing net with me today so put the bigger roach back and save a few smaller ones for a pic ,
i think i had over 60 roach some over a pound ......carp took my bait a couple of times but pulled off .
when changed over to worm and maggot .......very bloody windy too ...
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

20240126_152021.jpg
20240126_155129.jpg
not bad for 3 and a half hours fishing ......just to use some old maggots up

steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

stubbojo wrote: Fri Jan 26 2024 20:50 -
20240126_152021.jpg20240126_155129.jpg

steve

That is fishing on fire, I went to a tributary in the hope of finding some shoals, not a sniff, though looking at the main river the levels have dropped right back, expect they moved back into the main body, were you on a lake.. ?

I only tend to fish Rivers/side streams and canals, my nemesis is rivers, catching but not the ones I want..!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Jan 26 2024 21:12 -
stubbojo wrote: Fri Jan 26 2024 20:50 -
20240126_152021.jpg20240126_155129.jpg

steve

That is fishing on fire, I went to a tributary in the hope of finding some shoals, not a sniff, though looking at the main river the levels have dropped right back, expect they moved back into the main body, were you on a lake.. ?

I only tend to fish Rivers/side streams and canals, my nemesis is rivers, catching but not the ones I want..!
yes a smallish reservoir ......but do like my river roach fishing , should be coming on form soon as normal winter levels are nearly there ........hooked a seatrout last week on a live bait
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

went back for a few hours after dinner today not a soul about sun was shining .......same tactics but some fresh red maggots ...
just goes to show no 2 days are the same , slow start but they got a bit bigger later on bumped a cracker off on a shelf close in could have been a 2lb fish ...ha ho
not half as many as yesterday but a lot of grebes feeding right in front , probably spooking the roach shoals

steve

20240127_161222 (1).jpg
20240127_161222.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Dec 21 2023 22:57 -

steve
Steve, do you use hemp after it's been boiled or do you use dry, raw hemp?
I bought a sack a while ago but despite many attempts, it just doesn't seem to split very well after boiling. I was wondering if the raw seeds could be ground up to a powder and used in feeder mix?
:question:
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

gus666 wrote: Sun Jan 28 2024 19:32 -

steve
I bought a sack a while ago but despite many attempts, it just doesn't seem to split very well after boiling. I was wondering if the raw seeds could be ground up to a powder and used in feeder mix?
I’ve had trouble with hemp not splitting in the past. I started cooking it in a thermos flask and not had any problems since. I’ve had success in the past blitzing cooked hemp in a blender and adding it to ground baits. I was under the impression the raw seeds floated? Could be wrong though.

Jack
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

steve
crushed hemp pal 50/50 mix with a good quality feeder mix , i would think you could ground it down and use wont do any harm ..
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

Jack H wrote: Sun Jan 28 2024 23:01 -

steve
I’ve had trouble with hemp not splitting in the past. I started cooking it in a thermos flask and not had any problems since. I’ve had success in the past blitzing cooked hemp in a blender and adding it to ground baits. I was under the impression the raw seeds floated? Could be wrong though.

Jack
Thanks for the reply Jack. I tries the flask method, but I think I've just bought a bad batch of hemp, I read that you can get some that's just a nightmare to split.
I eventually gave up boiling etc I have enough done and in the freezer to last me a while. But I'm left with a couple of kilos of the dry stuff, wasn't going to use it whole but blend it to a powder and add it to a groundbait mix.
I think it would surely help attract the roach?
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Jan 29 2024 10:00 -

steve
crushed hemp pal 50/50 mix with a good quality feeder mix , i would think you could ground it down and use wont do any harm ..
Ah right Steve, so boiled & split then crushed and added to the mix?
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

gus666 wrote: Mon Jan 29 2024 11:23 -
Jack H wrote: Sun Jan 28 2024 23:01 -

steve

Jack
Thanks for the reply Jack. I tries the flask method, but I think I've just bought a bad batch of hemp, I read that you can get some that's just a nightmare to split.
I eventually gave up boiling etc I have enough done and in the freezer to last me a while. But I'm left with a couple of kilos of the dry stuff, wasn't going to use it whole but blend it to a powder and add it to a groundbait mix.
I think it would surely help attract the roach?
I think the quality definitely plays a large part. I’ve only ever used small batches of it, and used the dried bags from Holland and Barrett’s. Expensive way of doing things but found it works for me. I can’t see the dried stuff doing any harm. Give it a go and let us know how it goes :thumbs:

Jack
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

gus666 wrote: Mon Jan 29 2024 11:24 -

steve
not really sure if its been boiled first , its ready crushed will put a pic up of the bag and ground bait .
been out today for a few hours , not feeding like they was as the wind was over shoulder today.........allways do better at this venue when its blowing a bit and in yer face

steve
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

steve
20240129_132804.jpg
:thumbs: been on this today and a spray of krill on the maggots
20240129_160828.jpg
.......the bites came quicker as the day went on , but had to knock it on the head at 4 pm ,think the last hour would have been good

steve
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Jan 29 2024 18:54 -

steve
20240129_132804.jpg :thumbs: been on this today and a spray of krill on the maggots

20240129_160828.jpg.......the bites came quicker as the day went on , but had to knock it on the head at 4 pm ,think the last hour would have been good

steve
Gotcha now mate, it was bought crushed. :thumbs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I soak my hemp overnight with a good bit of bicarb of soda before boiling. It usually splits but I'm not too bothered if it doesn't.

A local tackle shop used to sell ground hemp, a fine powder which gave me some good results years ago.

A search returns some results but they all look like crushed hemp to me.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Jan 29 2024 19:41 -
I soak my hemp overnight with a good bit of bicarb of soda before boiling. It usually splits but I'm not too bothered if it doesn't.

A local tackle shop used to sell ground hemp, a fine powder which gave me some good results years ago.

something i have always used in my winter roach fishing , think it keeps them grubbing about on the bottom .
when winter river fishing i used boiled hemp normally shop bought as it stinks the house out.....wife not keen on it ...
when me and the wife used to live at the mother in laws for a short while ....i used to boil it and ruined her mums pans and stink her house out ......she did give me the evil eye over that
she hated me doing that in her house ....... :laughs:

regards steve
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Jan 29 2024 19:41 -

you can buy it by the tin bob ready cooked with additive think it was 2.45 .....not worth fannying about with tbh
its enough for a few hours fishing ......

steve