Swing!

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Swing!

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Talking with a young carp angler and he was saying about spodding over a a spot where he had a rig that had been clipped up at 13 wraps and said that he allowed 2 yards for the lead to swing back in 12ft of water.
I thought that sounded a bit much so worked it out using the old hypotenuse doodar.
So the question is how much would you allow for the lead to swing back in this case? answers on a post card! :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Swing!

Post by Nige Johns »

The length of 2 unhooking mats πŸ˜‚
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Nige Johns wrote: ↑Thu Feb 15 2024 21:58 -
The length of 2 unhooking mats πŸ˜‚
Nice try but still to much!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: ↑Thu Feb 15 2024 21:53 -
Talking with a young carp angler and he was saying about spodding over a a spot where he had a rig that had been clipped up at 13 wraps and said that he allowed 2 yards for the lead to swing back in 12ft of water.
I thought that sounded a bit much so worked it out using the old hypotenuse doodar.
So the question is how much would you allow for the lead to swing back in this case? answers on a post card! :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
This Carp fishing malarkey seems a tad a**l ....
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Fri Feb 16 2024 09:53 -

Cheers, Alan
This Carp fishing malarkey seems a tad a**l ....
It is very a**l for some anglers you are right and a lot of it is well over thought in my opinion but accuracy in angling tends to be a good thing.

Cheers, Alan
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Cheers, Alan
Half the depth :thumbs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

My syndi averages a similar depth and from memory it was about 3ft at about 70 yards!

I did it belt and braces on the bank. I walked out my clipped up leads and moved one of them down and away from the other the depth of the water and eyeballed how far back it was compared to the other. Not an exact science because of different ways the lead drops.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Fri Feb 16 2024 22:28 -
My syndi averages a similar depth and from memory it was about 3ft at about 70 yards!

I did it belt and braces on the bank. I walked out my clipped up leads and moved one of them down and away from the other the depth of the water and eyeballed how far back it was compared to the other. Not an exact science because of different ways the lead drops.
could not be arsed bob ...... :laughs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Fri Feb 16 2024 23:10 -
Bob Watson wrote: ↑Fri Feb 16 2024 22:28 -

could not be arsed bob ...... :laughs:
Nor me usually, I was curious.

I usually spod out to a marker and cast my rig to the same marker, by the time the spod mix has hit the bottom and spread out, the rig should be somewhere close to the near side of the freebies!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Just using maths alone the rig in the above situation will swing back just nine inches and even in water 40ft deep at that range it will swing back less than a yard, but thats based on maths alone and not actual angling.
As a lead is sinking the line (depending on diameter) creates resistance and so forms a belly and another pivot point. Thats why when quiver fishing the tip springs back when the feeder touches down and the angler then puts a turn onto the real to set the tip.
Anglers may choose to notice how much line they recover after a rig has landed and allow for that, but generally in an actual angling situation (certainly in this scenario) allowing for how inaccurate spodding often is with hitting the clip at different times, wind and how the bait falls through the water etc I agree with, Bob in that if you make no allowance for any swing, your hook bait should be to the nearside edge of the freebies, which aint a bad idea on its own!

Cheers, Alan
Sam
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sam »

I wouldn't worry. Fishing a single off the side of a baited area has been proven time and time again to work.

There's thinking anglers and there's thinking too much.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Lead swing is all very well, but how far are you also away from 'the spot' for each 1Β° you are off on aim? :dizzy:

(Thank goodness for PVA bags! :wink: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »