Live bait rig for mackerel

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Alan_dalton
Zander
Zander

Live bait rig for mackerel

Post by Alan_dalton »

just made a live bait bucket for the boat, and hoping for some decent weather to be able to go out. The plan is to live bait mackerel for bass. Looking for advice on what rigs please. Would a simple float rig with a drilled bullet and circle hook be ok?
Brian Carragher
Eel
Eel

Re: Live bait rig for mackerel

Post by Brian Carragher »

Best off just fishing a daylight rig, jigging with a heavy weight, once you find the mackerel they'll hit them all day long , best way of catching live mackerel and lip hooked
paintman
Eel
Eel

Post by paintman »

Alan_dalton wrote: Thu Jun 13 2024 19:37 -
Would a simple float rig with a drilled bullet and circle hook be ok?
Works for me. When I can get some joeys that is!
There's a few methods of rigging the bait itself in the circle hooks thread.
I've lip hooked with one large circle & it works & also with two circles knotless knotted pennel style but the bottom of the top hook just touching the top of the bottom hook.
Bottom hook through the top lip of the bait so the top is free.
Works fine & one big pollack actually had both circles in one scissor.
Bit of wide rubber band slipped on after the bait & I've not had a bait escape.
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

I use a Portland style rig under a big in line slider float. Hook length is quickly detachable from the swivel trapped between two beads ( sort of helicopter rig) so the bait can be dumped in the tank easily between drifts.
Sliding stop knot is set using multiples of the rod length as a guide, and ideally getting the bait swimming in the bottom 10ft. Float is big enough to support a 4oz lead and a BIG livebait.
I use a 9/0 VMC tournament circle ( not as big as it sounds) and simply lip hook all baits;
Mackerel, whiting , pouting, wrasse all work equally well but my biggest bass , a freak 17-02 that I’ll never see the like of again, came on a hand sized black bream( excellent baits)
Sometimes you’ll notice the float ‘jag’ violently as the bass stuns the bait before the float sinks steadily which is the time to tighten up.
Consider adding a Venturi pipe to your bait tank as this greatly increases the ability to keep delicate baits such as mackerel, alive longer.
stubbojo
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by stubbojo »

if keeping mackerel alive , never touch them with your hands ,just shake them off the hooks into your live bait tank
makes a lot of difference if its hard work catching lives .......they will swim around all day long if done in this way ...... i use an external pump flushing fresh sea water in and an overflow out back into the sea.........and keep the sun off the tank helps

steve
Alan_dalton
Zander
Zander

Post by Alan_dalton »

Thanks very much everyone