Ultima Power Carp XR mono

Marty
Chub
Chub

Ultima Power Carp XR mono

Post by Marty »

I've been a long time user of Ultima line, but nothing has surpassed their good old F1 in black (16lb + 20lb) for bait fishing in my eyes - cheap, strong, knots well, casts well, reasonable stretch, fairly low diameter and good abrasion resistance. The only minor gripes are the colour (the clear version of F1 is s***e on all counts for some reason, must be the colouring process?), and although not springy it is a little stiff.

However was sent a few spools of their new Power Carp XR to field test earlier this year, and although reluctant to change from F1, it felt nice and colour was good so thought i'd give it a go on one rod. Now that i've used it for a good while I can honestly say its the best mono i've ever used, and as a complete package knocks everything else into a cocked hat. Lovely and soft/limp, knots well, good abrasion resistance, casts like a dream, brilliant colour, just the right amount of stretch - apart from the cost (its a bit expensive compared to F1/sensor etc) i cant find a single thing to gripe about which is unheard of from me!

I've now used it in 14,16 and 18lb bs and they've all been faultless. If your looking at mono then trust me give this a go, i know line is a bit of a subjective matter and everyone has their own views, but its that far ahead of the game i'd be amazed if anyone who uses it doesn't agree with me. Its that good that i laid out to respool all my reels with it, and the F1 has been resigned to the bin.
ross
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: Ultima Power Carp XR mono

Post by ross »

what color did you find the best?
AndyWilliams
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyWilliams »

ross wrote:
Hi ross hope Jigmaster dont mind me saying the xr is only available in brown as far as i know the clear power carp is fluorocarbon coated which is another quality line that ive used alot for all kinds of fishing you wont go wrong with either.
Andy.
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

ross wrote:
as Andy says, the XR only comes in one colour - and brown is a bit misleading - its a sort of disruptive/camo colour, goes from brown to grey and back again!

and the XR is not flourocarbon coated like some of the other Power Carp lines, it has a silicon additive instead which is probably why its so soft and casts so well. How its so abrasion resistant i dont know, but i fish proper rocky rivers and its bulletproof.
ross
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ross »

have you got any links to buy a spool?
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMA-POWER- ... 905c313a5d

i got mine from these guys, was cheapest i could find...
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

jigmaster flash wrote:

I know someone a bit cheaper Image
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

Kev Berry wrote:
jigmaster flash wrote:

I know someone a bit cheaper Image
kev next time i'll come to you mate!

(ps any news of my Okuma caps?)
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

you just reminded me, I rang them and left message but they not got back, will ring again in morning mate