Manfrotto Lumina LED Lights

Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Manfrotto Lumina LED Lights

Post by Emma Hamilton »

Manfrotto Luminie LED lights

Many of us hope to capture a decent photograph of our catches along the way and a decent camera is common place in the anglers tackle bag these days. Whilst angling fish pictures have become somewhat easier with the advent of digital photography, the pit falls of handing over your camera to a local dog walker and getting things wrong are still there! None more so with self-take photography and night time photography can the end result disappoint. However, combine the two together and out of focus or bleached out results can be the unfortunate end product and you have only yourself to blame!

I found myself fairly happy with my auto setting, point and shoot results from my Cannon bridge camera but found self-take, night time shots a bit hit and miss. Indeed, a big eel night time self-take last year left me in despair when viewing the results on the computer a couple of days later.

When shopping with my good lady last year and wanting to avoid losing yet another 15 minutes of my life in the next faceless shop, I popped into the local London Camera Centre high street shop next door. I explained to the nice fella behind the counter the issues I had experienced and that I simply wanted decent night time, bullet proof self- take photos holding a wet fish about 6ft away from the camera lens with the camera set on Auto.

The recommendation was move away from using the inbuilt camera flash and try the permanent continuous LED lighting of the Manfrotto Lumie LED lights that fit in the hotshoe mount of any camera. Convinced, I walked out with the tiny Lumie Play hidden in my coat and entered the shop next door to tell my good lady I was merely window shopping and had she not spent enough money on clothing! I jangled the car keys wanting to go home (like you do)

There are three sizes of the Lumie light available: the smallest is the Lumie Play that features three LEDs, while the medium-sized Lumie Art has six and the largest, the Lumie Muse, has eight. As you might expect, the bigger the unit the more light power it’s capable of outputting but I guess for close up fish photography the small Lumie Play covers our needs. The Lumie series has a Li-Ion battery that recharges via Micro USB. This is a big advantage, as the unit is more convenient and considerably smaller when compared to similar AA/AAA battery-powered models. However, it’s worth noting the rubber plug to protect the micro USB is not attached and is very easy to lose.

On the bank the unit has proven effective, lighting up the captor and the held fish enabling the camera to focus really well. The over exposure of white bellied fish is minimized providing more consistently decent photographs than produced with the inbuilt camera flash. The small footprint of the Lumie Play still allows the camera, remote and spare batteries to fit in a small waterproof box and kept in the side pocket of most decent rucksacks. Additionally, the Lumie will act as a spare torch should one be needed. All in all, a product well worth checking out if you feel your night time shots could be improved.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Manfrotto Lumina LED Lights

Post by davelumb »

Interesting. I tried an LED photolight a couple of years ago but it was too dim. Wouldn't mind seeing the results.

Then again my Nikon's cope well enough in the dark... :smile:
Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Ta, Rob. :thumbs:

I might get one and give it a try. If nothing else I can stick it on a bankstick to provide light for focusing and still use my flash.
Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

davelumb wrote:
Ta, Rob. :thumbs:

I might get one and give it a try. If nothing else I can stick it on a bankstick to provide light for focusing and still use my flash.
Yes, the little one has three different light settings, on three clicks. Theres a brassy looking filter i haven't tried yet, will if i can get a decent barbel this month.

rob
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

My main concern is that the LED light on its own might force a slow shutter speed and increase the chances of movement blur. Especially with writhing eels!

This was lit with a Ridge Monkey LED in my bivvy and the shutter speed was way too slow for a fish pic.

Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

You understand your camera and stuff Dave. Your results of fish pics over the years are always tidy. But the point and shoot Auto lovers often get what we deserve!, even using the decent Bridge Cameras and their small flash units do sometimes struggle, i know I have. Been a better option for me, I have found.

rob
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

TBH I found my Canon bridge camera to be OK in the dark when I was barbel and bream fishing. It did miss focus occasionally but shining my headtorch on the fish helped there.

As I mentioned earlier, it might be worth trying the LED off the camera and still using the flash. More faffing about though!
musselman
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by musselman »

Coming to the party rather late on this with a much cheaper alternative:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-U ... 1yOawwhIpQ

These are as cheap as chips and can be easily attached to a bankstick to light your 'scene.' I bought a similar one a couple of years ago and it certainly does the job. Boasts 100 lumen output which is more than enough. There are three levels of brightness and the unit is waterproof.
The best time to fish...
...when the streets are cold and lonely.